Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Who likes Booze ?  (Read 8116 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who likes Booze ?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 11:50:16 am »

Drank a lot of that cheap $5 red label vodka, I think its Popov or something. I also like Fat Tire or Blue Moon, that's the only Belgium style beers I have been able to get my hands on. Most American beer is horrible because its all light beer, has no flavor.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 12:14:25 pm »

I like scotch.  My palate isn't refined enough to really bother with the fancy stuff, so I just buy the mid-range stuff.

Guinness is good.  Other beers just depend on my mood...  I like to get big ol' sampler boxes to keep a variety around the house.

I've also got a couple bottles of absinthe.  Stuff is very tasty louched with tonic water.

Random fizzy drinks can be OK after a day of hot yardwork.  But they're not for real drinking.

I can't drink red wine anymore.  I get a raging migraine after just a tiny bit.  Sucks, too, because I used to enjoy it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:22 pm »

Drank a lot of that cheap $5 red label vodka, I think its Popov or something. I also like Fat Tire or Blue Moon, that's the only Belgium style beers I have been able to get my hands on.
Never had fat tire, love blue moon though.

Most American beer is horrible because its all light beer, has no flavor.
I contest that. "Piss" is a flavor after all. :P

Besides, most I've had taste like fizzy, alcohol-laden bread (Miller High Life, Steel Reserve, and King Cobra). Except Budweiser, which tastes more like really bad wine. Or good wine, hell if I know; hate wine myself.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »

Zubrowka, a unique polish vodka, which tastes great mixed with apple juice.
You can also drink it straight, if you like strong booze. A fine drink either way.

Mead, damn just looking at the wikipedia article makes me want to have some.
I used to keep a bunch of bottles around of it. Can be served ice-cold or at a normal temperature, tastes great either way.

Zweigelt, an austrian red wine.
Good wine to drink after a hearty meal.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:12:00 pm by Mindmaker »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 06:05:22 pm »

I have to say that if I had a 14 year old son or daughter then I would be much more concerned about them doing skunk or pills than getting drunk on cheap cider. It's pretty normal for 14. 15 and 16 year olds to get drunk on fortified wine, of some other such muck, at least once or twice. If they were hitting the spitrits then I would be pretty worried. I would probably let 16 + year olds drink (in moderation) at home rather than in a dodgy park or street corner. (But they would probably want to be outside anyway.)
This. Only my 17-year-old sister has been drinking pretty hard for quite some time now. Problem is, whether or not my parents even cared enough to even do anything about it, she'd still do it, though most of that is because of influence from the 23-year-old sister. Eventually, this partially led to the events of her being kicked out of house. But that's a whole 'nother discussion entirely.

Subject change: I read that wiki article about mead, and I wonder how much money I could make brewing that stuff. Hey, I don't drink, but far be it from me to keep others from getting wasted off their ass(excluding above). From what I hear, brewing cheap stuff isn't all that hard or expensive, and can make a decent amount of cash if you've got people who will buy it(and believe me, I'm sure I do). I bet mead, while more costly to produce, would be an interesting thing to try making.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:55:36 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »

Beer, red wine and the occasional wodka. I dislike the taste of most strong liqeurs, destilates and such. . . Though I did not dislike the white russians I had in excess last night at a Big Lebowski special night.
dude, being feverish and drunk does not make for nice dreams.

Say Bauglir congrats on the mead man, I've made several batches of beer myself but never tried the nectar of the gods. As far as I could tell it is a pretty cumbersome and lengthy process. 
I had some on holidays in Germany a while back, I did not like it much either, so possibly you it is just not something you actually favour?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:27 pm »

I can't drink red wine anymore.  I get a raging migraine after just a tiny bit.  Sucks, too, because I used to enjoy it.

Try and find something that isn't aged in oak. You're probably allergic to tannins. Ever tried a blush wine?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2010, 02:14:52 am »

Nikov's Grog:

1 1/2 oz spiced rum
1 tbsp brown sugar
lime juice, cinnamon to taste

Combine in coffee mug, add hot water
Jerry makes this great, but Morgan falls flat.

Hot Buttered Rum

1 1/2 oz rum
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp real melted butter
cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla to taste

Mix in coffee mug, add hot milk, whip vigorously.
Great cold weather/holiday drink, tastes similar to eggnog.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:22:22 am by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:51 am »

Big fan of Bailey's, Amarula, and occasionally Kahlua for more relaxing weekend evenings. Vodka and jaegerbombs on party nights. If I'm at a club there's a good chance I'll be getting some tequila shots. A few good beers (Alexander Keith's, brewed just a half hour walk from my doorstep!) on a lazy afternoon, maybe. Sometimes if I'm studying and stressed out I might have an irish coffee.

Other stuff is all right, but I tend to stick to what I know.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2010, 02:48:40 am »

I've learned how to make Colorado Mudslides, but that's a little heavy for ordinary drinking.

I love Mudslides! Taste so good! I drink them like chocolate milk... >_>

So deliciously tempting, but by the end of the night I'm unable to walk  :P
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2010, 03:13:50 am »

Romance in the air.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2010, 06:30:17 am »

All of you who drink cheap booze doesn't know what you miss.
I used to hate rum until I drank a glass of 12 years old high quality rum in a bar. My  world view changed.
Cheap beer is usually awful as well. We are blessed to have excellent mid price beer here, and getting drunk on barbar, leffe or cuvée des trolls sure beat carapils or budwheiser.
On the topic of liquor and white alcohol, getting drunk on good alcohol make the day after much less difficult.

On the topic of drinking early, I've begun to drink at 16 (not illegal here), like most of my friend, but I've tasted a bit of wine whenever it was good since 12. (No more than 1/4 of glass by meal).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 06:35:12 am »

About as far as I've gotten into the world of hard liquor is Baileys. That's probably going to be as far as I get until I'm in my 20s, really. Hell, the only beer I drink is usually light. I'm not even trying to be reasonable or proper or anything I just gravitate towards it.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

All of you who drink cheap booze doesn't know what you miss.
Cheap booze is good for getting drunk though. Some of it's actually pretty good, too. Burnett's comes to mind, and a while back Esquire had a list of the best cheap liquor, which was all "stuff under $20 that's actually pretty good". If you're getting drunk, it's much nicer to be spending more like $0.30-50 per drink's worth than upwards of $2. Of course, if you're drinking in a bar it'll all be expensive as fuck, but bars are a terrible place to drink that much anyways.

If you're drinking for the taste, than by all means higher quality is the way to go, but after six or seven cheap beers, or a couple of doubleshots of vodka, you're not going to be caring if it all tastes like piss.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10