Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is it worth it to try against the inevitable?  (Read 2272 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to try against the inevitable?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 02:33:01 pm »

Don't ask Bay12 and make your own mistakes.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:19 pm »

Don't ask Bay12 and make your own mistakes.

Heh, I know.  I've already said that no matter what you guys say, I'm still staying with her for a while.  Just wanted to get it out of my system is all.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 08:49:42 pm »

Indeed, there is that small chance that she'll willingly be pried from her family to pursue a boyfriend's whim, and risk pretty much everything in her life over a fling, but I doubt it.  That's a severe way of putting it, but that's how I'm looking at it.

If I may point out one tiny detail. Assuming your relationship lasted a full 3 years, would it really be a fling at that point?
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »

May i suggest a problem terminating solution?
You said that a college you really want to take is far away, right?
SOLUTION: online courses. Yes they exist and are quite common nowadays. I've taken up a unofficial class or two before (unofficial because I've yet to even finish middle school).

If there is a problem with doing my suggestion, please, be frank point out the damned problem.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

If there is a problem with doing my suggestion, please, be frank point out the damned problem.

Quality.  You haven't finished middle school yet, so you probably wouldn't see the enormous difference.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 09:19:32 pm »

Naw, theres an enormous difference. Just because I'm a lazy ass who never really does assigned work efficiently dosn't make middle school content hard at all. Those (online) classes were hard, but a lot less pressuring then what grade school claims to be 'homework', especially in the summer. Still some pretty usefull stuff, though 1 class still isn't enough for a degree anyway(of course it isn't)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »

I meant between online classes and courses held face-to-face with a professor...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

May i suggest a problem terminating solution?
You said that a college you really want to take is far away, right?
SOLUTION: online courses. Yes they exist and are quite common nowadays. I've taken up a unofficial class or two before (unofficial because I've yet to even finish middle school).

There's a lot of problems with the suggestion.  For starters, I'm in college.  For seconds, my career will take me far away from here.  My college is but ten minutes from her house, but there is no gaming industry where I live.  I have to move to apply it.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »

Hmm. I missread then.
How about working on indie games for practice and getting one of those sub-par jobs until she can be ready to move with you?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »

That sounds like an ideal solution, but my college doesn't really support that.  They basically have a ton of contacts with larger corporations, and enjoy sending their students towards them.  For example, a student last year got a 2-year (fully paid) internship to Microsoft.  They don't support Indie games companies for placement per se.

That doesn't mean I couldn't join up with a company.  However, A) There aren't any game companies around here period, indie or not and B) I need a solid income.  Especially if I'm going to be moving without an internship or college support.

Sorry if my tone seems mad, I'm not.  It just seems like accommodating for her coming with is gonna be tricky.  Not to mention if she decides to go to a college that doesn't have a game industry in the area, that could add a few years...  but I'm not really going to worry about that one too much.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

Hmm. Maybe try to work towards lots of cheap, get you money at the moment games without quite making a company.
Maybe i should stop posting in this thread because I'm starting to feel a bit like an ass...  :-[

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:25 pm »

I don't think that ones possible either.  I need a stable income.  Something full time and with a salary, preferably.  xD

Nah, the thread has served it's purpose.  Practically defunct.  You're not more of an ass than any one else here.  : P
Pages: 1 2 [3]