Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soap making.  (Read 824 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Soap making.
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:21:35 am »

My weak search-fu has turned up nothing useful. I have soap making queued up, but none of my soap makers are doing it. They're not spamming messages about lack of lye or barrels, the area isn't cut off, they just plain refuse to do the job.

Any thoughts?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soap making.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:31:33 am »

I assume at least one of your dwarves has soap making enabled?
Then maybe one of the components of your soap workshop is forbidden (e.g. the bucket)? -> d-b-c on the workshop

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:37:05 am »

Yes and no.

Yes, I have a dwarf with nothing else to do, with the soap making labour enabled.
No, I haven't forbidden anything. I never forbid things, I just quantum stockpile and then atomsmash them. I checked just in case :D
I've also checked my stocks screen for lye in barrels and I'm overflowing
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:08 am »

Do you have animal fat processed through the kitchen?  Burrow assignment often seems to be a problem as well.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:12 am »

Just double checked and yes, I have loads of tallow. It's coming out of my ears.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:51 am »

most times its the problem of buckets half full with lye and water .. which makes the whole stuff unusable to fill in barrales

a workaround to prevent this is .. before lyemaking you forbid all water liquid via stocks screen and dump all the buckets into your quantum pile/dump

after they are dumped reclaim em and you got fresh buckets to use

it may counter the hospitals use of water buckets .. but normally those are replenished fast as soon buckets are available again

extra to that put up a food stockpile with lye(misc liquids) only next to the soapmaker with all barels enabled .. and have the tallow in reach but rather separated
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:49:55 am by schussel »

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:17 am »

Try cancelling the soap maker job and queueing it up again. It can be a bit buggy like that.
Hell, tear down the workshop and build a new one :P

Also double triple check your lye is actually in barrels.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »

Ok. I've double triple quadruple checked. I've checked in stocks, I've actually gone and checked a lye barrel, i've also gone into the lye barrel to check it's actually lye, then press v to bring up a description of the lye. It's definitely lye. In a barrel. In a stockpile.

i'll try tearing the workshop down and rebuilding, then putting new stockpiles in as schussel suggests if rebuilding doesn't work.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »

lye production seems to be buggy. I just buy them lye barrels from the caravan.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 01:25:48 pm »

No,no. This is the whole problem. My lye production is great. Everything is working fine, it's in barrels, everybody's happy. my soap makers know the lye is there, they just refuse to make soap with it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

No,no. This is the whole problem. My lye production is great. Everything is working fine, it's in barrels, everybody's happy. my soap makers know the lye is there, they just refuse to make soap with it.
That's exactly the issue. They never complain about lye bought from caravans.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

Ooooooooohhh.. so my dwarves are acknowledging that it exists, but not making soap with it unless it's traded lye... well... I've made 90 puddles of USELESS LYE NOW!!!

Thanks guys. I'm gonig to go and punish my dwarves. (no, that isn't a euphemism)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:04:39 pm »

I've made soap with locally-produced lye many times without any problems.

It does take a while to happen, though.  I don't know if it's because the job is scheduled through the management screen or what, but it sometimes takes months before a dwarf starts to make soap after I've set everything up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

it is so much easier to make with bought lye. I tend to buy lye now, because it works better.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:51 pm »

Just to be sure, have you tried ordering soap from the manager screen as opposed to the workshop?
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.
Pages: [1] 2