Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons  (Read 19036 times)

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous/Exploding/Igniting/Melting Weapons
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:38 pm »

Yeah i've double checked everything. i've tried reducing the boiling point and everything just to get them to melt at some point but no settings have any affect in either mode.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:26 pm »

Do you have temperature turned off?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:53 pm »

nope, first thing i checked.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »

They only work when they actually get stuck in the target, which only happens pretty rarely - 10% of the time or so. So its bound to happen after a volley of a couple of marksdwarves in fortress mode, but only occasionally in adventurer mode when you're the only person shooting.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2011, 07:50:44 am »

I had two grand masters shooting at each other and there was at least one stuck in. all with doomium so it should have been noticeable.

If they're set to explode well bellow room temperature should they just go off when the arena starts?

i can only get creatures to melt and burn.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »

I had two grand masters shooting at each other and there was at least one stuck in. all with doomium so it should have been noticeable.

If they're set to explode well bellow room temperature should they just go off when the arena starts?

Possibly not, if they're created inside the subzero quivers. I don't know, you guys are way better at using the Arena for testing than I am.

Point of interest: Now that creating things in containers is in place, a "slowly melting" vial, filled with explodium^x would be a way to create grenades in Adventure mode. Anyone have any idea what the values for such a vial material would be?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

I'm not sure but is suspect it would be to do with spec heat or how good an insulator it is. I dont remember anyone doing detailed tests on what affect change has on it though.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 10:32:16 am »

Point of interest: Now that creating things in containers is in place, a "slowly melting" vial, filled with explodium^x would be a way to create grenades in Adventure mode. Anyone have any idea what the values for such a vial material would be?
hmm....
1. we could have a material that burns below doomium blowup temp, then when it burns out the doomium goes "BOOM"
2. we could have a material that wears away quickly at it's fixed temp. then when it "rots" away doomium goes "BOOM"
3. we could have a material that melts at low temperatures but solidifies at high temperatures. it has a fixed temp of solid for it, but barely. it melts when out of someone's hand and doomium goes "BOOM"

also interesting would be this: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Molotov_cocktail. If I understand correctly it just needs to burn at a high temperature and have high mass?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:39 am »

Does anyone have these materials working in the current version? if they do and they send me the game files i will test these grenade ideas.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »

Thank you Foamy. I can't get these materials working. That's my issue. It all sounds like it should work, but I must not be good at working with densities and melting/burning/fixed temps.

Variable grenade "magic" would be an amazing mod for Adventure mode, but I am setting the idea loose, because I can't seem to get it to work.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 02:04:52 pm »

Do you have the exploding metals working for projectiles as described previously?

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »

Thank you Foamy. I can't get these materials working. That's my issue. It all sounds like it should work, but I must not be good at working with densities and melting/burning/fixed temps.

Variable grenade "magic" would be an amazing mod for Adventure mode, but I am setting the idea loose, because I can't seem to get it to work.

I find it odd that you guys are still having problems, I have it working perfectly on a fresh download of v19. To point out what is supposed to happen with them, I've uploaded videos to demonstrate their effects

Explodium - http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2312-explodiumdemonstration
Virium - http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2313-viriumdemonstration

I still have no idea why it isn't working for you in the first place  :-\

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »

Is there any chance you could upload your whole game for me to try and identify the cause?

It would be greatly appreciated.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »

I will see to it after I understand how you're trying to implement it. In the videos, I've simply downloaded a completely fresh copy of v19, with nothing changed except to raw/objects/inorganic_metal. The changes of which was simply to copy the code given in the OP onto the bottom of the document (But above the entry for adamantine, so in between adamantine and Bismuth Bronze). Nothing more nothing less, if it still doesn't work, I'll upload a copy of the entire thing.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »

I have actually tried this before, the execution is difficult. Vials are not easy to manipulate for any purpose other than trade. Have you ever tried to use gnomeblight to kill gnomes from inside the vial?

I tried to do something similar to what you said, and ran into two problems.
1) There is no 'slow melt', it'll be gone as soon as it's created, unless you set it to melt upon achieving body temperature, in which case it must be 'embedded' into a creature to work (Well, in adventure mode maaayyybe, if it's a really sharp vial).
2) When inside the vial, the material inside and the vial outside are tied, if the vial melts, it loses its container property and the contained material is outright destroyed.

I also tried something similar with barrels, perhaps to be able to set the barrels into a stockpile and ignite them to make some sort of gas chamber trap. I don't remember the precise details, but it didn't end out well either  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6