Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Crusader Kings: El kingo of spaino.  (Read 8046 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings: Get or Not?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:20 am »

Good game so far. Going to bed three hours late.

I started as the king of some place. Relized I had no idea what the fuck I am doing and started over as a minor noble in northen spain.

I got a vassle somehow (I think my king gave him to me) that had twice the land that I did and with his help took over a tiny little kingdom to add to mine own my king's realm.

So sitting fine with a vassel with two areas, three of my own, and a nice son on the way... BAM! King attacks some guys to the south that are three times bigger then us, he ask for my suport and, fool that I am, I say yes thinking I can disband my troops at anytime. Big mistake, my king gos to fight loseing battles all over spain with my army and drives me deep into debit (I notice his money never goes below 0) and loads of troops show up at my door stop. Thank god they go and pilage my vassels lands and not mine.

Then I die and my 13 year old son is thrust unto the throne.

Moral of the story: I have no clue.

Game: Awsome.

Awesome grand strategy game, totally worth it, but do get the player made addons though, they add lotsa nifty stuff that greatly enhances gameplay.

Do you have any in specific (Sorry, spell check is not working) to suggest?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:51:57 am »

On the lower left corner of the screen, click on the treasury then set your military expenses to 0 if you start going into debt with your king using your armies.
Also, waiting for CK2 is a bad idea when CK1 is just $10, as it's nigh guaranteed that CK2 will be an imperfect game at launch.
In terms of addons, if you have DV (Which is definitely worth it if you ask me) get DVIP.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 06:13:36 am »

Yeah, this is why I tend to break free of vassalage (or start without a liege) ASAP. Because the AI is prone to running lengthy, expensive wars and bankrupting his loyal servants. This is one reason why the Holy Roman Empire tends to be a clusterf**k under AI control.

So far, my three most successful starts have been the Principality of Smolensk, the Duchy of Apulia and the Duchy of Aquitaine, all in 1066.

Smolensk has a decent chunk of land, and easy access to the pagan tribes in Prussia and the Baltics. With a little finagling, I forged the Kingdom of Lithuania, at which point a horde of Russian princes (most of whom were cousins of one stripe or another) came rushing to pledge themselves to me. By 1399, when I went to export to EU, the Holy Orthodox Empire stretched from the borders of central Europe to the Urals, and from Lappland to the Persian Gulf and the source of the Nile. And I had kicked the Golden Horde's ass twice as soon as they appeared.

Apulia gives you Robert Guiscard, the famous Norman conqueror of Sicily. And I pretty much followed his model -- conquer Sicily, found a kingdom, consolidate southern Italy and create a mix of Arab and Norman cultures in the court. Of course, in my case his descendants went on to conquer northern Africa from Marrakesh to Alexandria.

Aquitaine was an attempt in DVIP to refound Aquitania as an independent realm. Not only did I succeed in that, but eventually added all the Iberian kingdoms and the crowns of France and Burgundy to my list, eventually earning the title of Emperor. The Aquitanian Empire currently has some succession problems, but my eventual goal is to re-establish at least the boundaries of the Frankish Empire under Charlemagne. Oh, and to make Occitan the primary culture of Western Europe.

Now...why would you ever consider NOT getting this game?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:13:58 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:01 am »

(I notice his money never goes below 0)
it actually does, the game just doesn't display anything less than 0 for NPC's

hey at least yours had some experience, I had a a game as Georgia where I was led by a two year-old with zero in every stat.
it's even worse because Georgia's surroundings are very, very dangerous. (it's was an awesomely fun game though)

I would also recommend getting EU III, It's easily as good as CK and it's getting a 4th expansion pretty soon-ish.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:55:51 am by Iced »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:50:45 am »

You can (and probably should, if you can be bothered to micromanage it) decrease what you're spending for military. There's a slider in your budget window for it. Reduced spending increases attrition, so more troops will die off every month. The more troops die, the lower their upkeep cost is. I've found that maximum spending is rarely required to minimize attrition, unless you're sending large armies across deserts. If you just don't care about your liege having troops, stop paying them. AIs don't seem to notice that you're not paying for troops they've drafted from your lands.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

If you get the whole line you can play it from start to finish over a 900 year in-game time period. And ineveitably form an alternate history in the process.
And create an Italian royal adulterer whose bones can survive literally anything but the heat death of the universe.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »

If you just don't care about your liege having troops, stop paying them. AIs don't seem to notice that you're not paying for troops they've drafted from your lands.

The AI isn't even affected.  The attrition is set by the controlling characters military spending, not the spending of the person who provided the troops.  So if your liege borrows your army and you don't have any armies under your own control, just set your spending to zero and save your money.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »

If you just don't care about your liege having troops, stop paying them. AIs don't seem to notice that you're not paying for troops they've drafted from your lands.

The AI isn't even affected.  The attrition is set by the controlling characters military spending, not the spending of the person who provided the troops.  So if your liege borrows your army and you don't have any armies under your own control, just set your spending to zero and save your money.

It seems, then, that you wouldn't need to change the slider at all.  Since you have no armies under your control, the military spending amount should automatically display a '0' in the treasury screen.  I would check this, but I am currently playing a principality free of a liege.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 03:08:07 pm »

Good game so far. Going to bed three hours late.

I started as the king of some place. Relized I had no idea what the fuck I am doing and started over as a minor noble in northen spain.

I got a vassle somehow (I think my king gave him to me) that had twice the land that I did and with his help took over a tiny little kingdom to add to mine own my king's realm.

So sitting fine with a vassel with two areas, three of my own, and a nice son on the way... BAM! King attacks some guys to the south that are three times bigger then us, he ask for my suport and, fool that I am, I say yes thinking I can disband my troops at anytime. Big mistake, my king gos to fight loseing battles all over spain with my army and drives me deep into debit (I notice his money never goes below 0) and loads of troops show up at my door stop. Thank god they go and pilage my vassels lands and not mine.

Moral of the story: I have no clue.

Game: Awsome.

Awesome grand strategy game, totally worth it, but do get the player made addons though, they add lotsa nifty stuff that greatly enhances gameplay.

Do you have any in specific (Sorry, spell check is not working) to suggest?
You got the Complete version, right? Did you install DVIP?
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »

If you get the whole line you can play it from start to finish over a 900 year in-game time period. And ineveitably form an alternate history in the process.
And create an Italian royal adulterer whose bones can survive literally anything but the heat death of the universe.
PANCRAZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 06:04:47 pm »

They are in the process of making CK2.  The old one is good but dated graphics.  New one probably out next year.  (guessing)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »

They are in the process of making CK2.  The old one is good but dated graphics.  New one probably out next year.  (guessing)
It's out in 2012.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »

Thanks for the advice bros.

I restarted as the king of Leon (or whatever) and within the month was in a war with Portugal that drained everyone's money but did nothing else. So I spend the next 30 years and two kings slowly wearing them down and taking about half their territories (including a vassal that defected to my side who's land I took away and gave to my son almost immediately. Damn traders) Then I made a big mistake. I allied with the English when their boy king asked. I thought that since they were huge (Had taken half of France by this time) they would scare the Portugal bastards, but far enough away that I would not get embroiled in their wars.

Within the year I was at war with five sheikdoms that were spread all over the world. Luckily three of them signed peace agreements almost right away. Then I forgot about the fourth.

A little rebellion latter and Portugal thinking they can take advantage I am now the proud owner of a claim to the throne to Portugal (at the low low price of 16 prestige) and gearing up for the final war with them.

Five thousand English solders land on the shores of Portugal and proceed to annex the entire county. Then the sheikdom I forgot about lands on my shores, marches towards the English and...

Walks right past them and attacks me seeing as how they made peace about five years ago with the English but not with me. They lay siege to one of my lands and I, still weakened by rebellion and wars with Portugal have to sign a agreement giving them half of my brothers lands. (Of course they do not take it from the evil bishop I have to the north.)

And that was the low point so far.

Things started to turn around when the Sheik rebelled against his far away masters and made him own tiny country based on the ideals of freedom democracy and rights for all. It took me about a week to take it over.

Then sadly my cousin died.

My cousin who happened to be the king of the other half of Spain and for some reason had me as his heir over his own children, thus almost doubling my kingdom in size. I quickly gave my two sons and a daughter most of my new lands and I am sitting pretty.

Then I go to the laws and start reading what they do and change one. Then I accidentally change another and now all my lords hate me and one is rebelling. Also the guy who is rebelling I am pretty sure is my son from the last game I played.

Lucky I have the money need to take him down, but if too many others start to rebel then I may be facing a downward spiral and a war that will destroy Spain.

My guy also has a TON of prestige now, around twice as much as I have ever had. But I have nothing to spend it on because all my enemies in the near future are going to be Muslim.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 07:26:14 pm »

I used to make huge empires through marriage in that game.  Hardly ever conquered anyone except heretics.  Grabbing the Byz was always nice.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

You don't need to spend your prestige.  In fact, you might not want to.  Prestige affects the loyalty of your vassals which can be especially important if you have non-family members as vassals.  Similarly, when you create a bishopric, the bishop (your vassal) will be more or less loyal based on your piety.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6