Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Crusader Kings: El kingo of spaino.  (Read 8032 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings: Get or Not?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »

You don't need to spend your prestige.  In fact, you might not want to.  Prestige affects the loyalty of your vassals which can be especially important if you have non-family members as vassals.  Similarly, when you create a bishopric, the bishop (your vassal) will be more or less loyal based on your piety.

Yeah, it is cool now but my guy is around 40. When he starts getting older I want to spend it because I can not keep it when he dies anyway.

Also my evil bishop (I started with two but one rebelled) really seems to like me, even when my piety dropped down to -200. In fact, if you were to ask me why I do not like him I could not, in all honesty, give you a reason. I just have a irrational dislike for the guy.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings: Pretty Sweet.
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 07:58:59 pm »

Is his nose big?  I hate those big-nose guys... ugh.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »

Okay, I got this game on the recommendation of that LP everyone was linking to.  This thread makes it sound pretty awesome.  However...

I don't have the slightest fucking idea how to actually play it.  The most I've managed to do so far was launch an attack against some nearby Turks, which made everybody mad at me, and then a giant Turkish army appeared inside by kingdom and laid waste to everything.

So, can anyone suggest a good tutorial somewhere?  Because holy crap this interface is opaque.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »

My best game ever began as the Count of Seleukeia, in southern Anatolia, in the Byzantine Empire. When the Turks inevitably invaded the empire, I did not join the Empire. The empire quickly fractured as Dukes and Counts declared independence from the Emperor, and the Turks gained a great deal of land as they expanded through central Anatolia. But, they over extended, and factionalized, fractured just the same. Then, I struck quickly, conquering my neighbors until my Count became the Duke of Armenia Minor. Fitting, given that he was Armenian himself.

100 years later, I am playing the King of Syria, Amenia, and Jerusalem, controlling a massive Levantine empire. Most of the Dukes of the realm are relatives of some sort. Have a strong alliance with Georgia, and somehow the Count of Schwaben in Germany became a vassal to the Duke of Mesopotamia, as well as a count in the middle of Russia. My goals are fixated on forming an Orthodox Kingdom of Persia, and make a mod for Eu3 with the state Europe is in at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, based on past experience, this probably means Mongols in the Netherlands.
!!&!!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »

Is his nose big?  I hate those big-nose guys... ugh.

No, but he has like three chins. Fat smug bastard, always sending his children to me and starting up freind events.

So, can anyone suggest a good tutorial somewhere?  Because holy crap this interface is opaque.

Here is one, it is basically the first thing that popped up on Google but it looks okay.

As for any advice, I would say to you start as a vassal or a king of a small and out of the way kingdom and take it slow, pause often and looks for options. Take it slow until you know what you are doing.

The pause button is the date in the upper right corner.

My goals are fixated on forming an Orthodox Kingdom of Persia, and make a mod for Eu3 with the state Europe is in at the end of the game.

Unfortunately, based on past experience, this probably means Mongols in the Netherlands.

Heh. I wish you good luck, tell me how that turns out.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:47 pm »

My goals are fixated on forming an Orthodox Kingdom of Persia, and make a mod for Eu3 with the state Europe is in at the end of the game.

I'm pretty sure there is already a mod that converts CK to EUIII
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 09:11:59 pm »

I think that is part of the main game. It is right there on the menu.

Anyway. Heathens are making me their bitch. Baddly. So I save scummed or what ever you call it.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 09:14:12 pm »

I think that is part of the main game. It is right there on the menu.

Anyway. Heathens are making me their bitch. Baddly. So I save scummed or what ever you call it.
CK->EU2 is that option.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »

It doesn't do it in a terribly clean way, though.
!!&!!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 09:35:41 pm »

It doesn't do it in a terribly clean way, though.
Oh, so I was wrong. Portraits in CK II look amazing, though I'm probably going to wait until after the patches come out to buy it, given Paradox's history with buggy releases.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?503167-Dev-Diary-1
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:37:37 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »

I don't understand at all how anyone can label CK1 as having outdated graphics. It's ridiculous, it has a beautiful hand-drawn style map with crisp colours instead of some 3d crap with eye-burning colours like vanilla EU3. The sprites are also quite good as far as sprites go though I can't understand anyone caring about them, or wanting some kind of enhanced graphical city view. Also I always loved the caricature style of the portraits, though I understand not liking them, for the most part. 

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 01:54:30 am »

it doesn't bother me one bit, but the resolution of the graphics are a bit low for today's standards. Though I think the styling is good, crisper this and that is about all it needs to look modern.

The UI is a bit clunky, fixed up some in the Deus Vult expansions/mod, but could use a redesign imho. Also, not related to graphics but a tutorial would be very nice.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:26:41 am by ductape »
I got nothing

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:22 am »

yep.  i'm one of those who likes a tutorial.  I've tried twice to play but i get clobberred and die heirless.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:19 am »

Uuuurgh, my kingdom is  basically ruined.  I've driven the heathen from Sicily in a ten year war that bankrupted my realm, finally made my money back, and become King of Sicily.  I now have all of Sicily (sans Malta, getting to that) and I'm now Roger Borsa, son of the guy who I started as, whoever.  Bohemond, my bastard brother, went rogue and took the heel of Italy as well as Palermo in Sicily with him but that's not a big deal because he's not doing much and as soon as he dies his son (Still a vassal) will inherit, bringing those lands back into my grasp.

The reason my kingdom is ruined is because Roger Borsa married a fat ugly harridan who was also his first cousin.  Now I have a flock of fat ugly inbred daughters, and I'm just waiting to see how ugly Tancred, the heir apparent, is going to be.  Compounding this is the fact that Tancred is pretty much my lifeline in the game.  If he dies I won't have a male son and the line of inheritance is going to trace all the way to France for some reason, ending my dynasty and the game.  Can't let you do that, Fox.  So yeah, my kingdom is going to be the ugliest thing ever.

Also, damn I've been having Marshall trouble.  My original Marshall, whose name I can't even remember, William I think, was pretty cool.  I don't remember where I got him but he served well and died of old age.  Next guy is the son of Vid Guthkeled, a hungarian bishop, still not sure where he came from, but damn his wife spits out babies like you wouldn't believe.  They die almost faster than he can make new ones.  He has eight kids and four of them are dead.  Thankfully the wife is 45 now so the floodgates should be closing soon enough.

Aaaanyway, his son's name is Konrad, and he's my new Marshal.  Week later, he rapes a merchant's daughter and I have him beheaded.  Next in line is Zsigmond, his brother.  Week later, kills himself.  Jeez guys, what's the deal?  I'm starting to know how Dumbledore must have felt with all those Defense against the dark arts teachers.  For a while I didn't have a marshall at all but I've finally got a good one, a mysterious veteran from another land named Henry.  He's wounded now though so he can't actually lead >:C

Oh, did I mention that when I finally had enough money to declare myself King of Sicily, my fat ugly wife tried to have me assassinated and then rebelled?  Yeah.  I can't wait until she dies.  She no longer has any land or a job, and her title claims are expiring/being laughed away.  Now all I need is for her to expire.

One last thing.  I was really freaked out when I looked at Ireland.  My first time playing was as an Irish Duke because the small area made it easier to get the hang of things.  My son, Muirdertach, was really bizarre looking and he freaked me out.  I looked at Ireland on this game and Muirdertach basically ruled all of Ireland and had a bunch of sons installed as vassals.  Sons that all looked just like him.  It was terrifying, man.
Shoes...

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »

Very nice.

My current game had my dynasty being inherited by an inbred grandson.  Seeing this, I promptly assassinated him, which is what I suggest you do to your wife if you can afford it.  When it comes to it, you should also assassinate your heir for being inbred because it will be terrible if he inherits.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6