Whaddya think about the Three Things?

Sounds good to me
's OK.
Nah.
Really don't like 'em
SSSSIIIIIINNNNAAARRRRRR!!!
[Voter is a lolcat playing with a keyboard.]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lol Polaticks  (Read 3871 times)

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
Re: Lol Polaticks
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:34:15 pm »

Progress goes well. Look, I'm already dead!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 07:37:38 pm »

Throwing a half a billion dollars at education doesn't guarantee better education?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 07:38:35 pm »

Correct.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

Throwing a half a billion dollars at education doesn't guarantee better education?

Throwing it all at one school, obviously not.  I don't think there's anybody outside of Los Angeles who would disagree with that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 07:40:29 pm »

This is my casual conversation voice. Anyway. Does throwing half a billion mana in a hadoken guarantee a deadlier hadoken?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 07:41:09 pm »

I don't see anything objectionable about the government you are proposing, the trouble is implementation.  Eventually someone with corrupt intentions comes along and screws the entire thing up, or concerned mothers reduce some of our freedoms because "THINK OF THE CHILDREN".  Politicians are fantastic at skirting their way established laws using loopholes and leaps of logic.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:17 pm »

Wait what is this thread about?

All people have different ideas on how to do so but (outwardly at least) all governments try to do this.

Really, everyone has justification for what they do, saying they should do this is just saying that you want everyone to think the way you do and then adopt your idea of freedom.

For everything you need to make sacrifices, the hard part is to see where it is a good idea.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »

I don't see anything objectionable about the government you are proposing, the trouble is implementation.  Eventually someone with corrupt intentions comes along and screws the entire thing up, or concerned mothers reduce some of our freedoms because "THINK OF THE CHILDREN".  Politicians are fantastic at skirting their way established laws using loopholes and leaps of logic.

Ah, but these three things are the exclusive laws. That is, there may be additional, regular laws, but they must always be allowed by those three laws, much like how laws are supposedly supposed to be made in adherence to the constitution, which is a vague and highly subjective document. These, on the other hand, says clearly that if a law decreases total freedom, then it's illegal. It's not illegal to outlaw murder, because it increases the freedom from danger more than it decreases the freedom to get some healthy exercise. Banning dirty magazines is illegal because the freedom to communicate, freedom of expression, freedom of economic activity, and several others are greater freedoms than the freedom from having to occasionally parent your child.

All you need to do is say that "Your proposed law violates #2, your argument is invalid." Of course, if we're looking at building a new structure, then that would be easy to do. I'd say three overseeing groups, like senators. They are all elected the same way, and like the three branches of the US government, one group creates laws, the next enforces them, and the third makes sure the other two are kept in check and validate the laws. Engineering that structure at this juncture is a bit more work than I'm interested in at the moment, but after I have some tea I'll sketch something out on a napkin for you.

EDIT: added a bit to first paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:16:08 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 08:16:22 pm »

Interesting.

I am surprised I am the only one who said no on the poll.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »

Ah yes, the DIY constitution for a theoretical nation with no history or people.  You realize it took dozens of the most intelligent men in a young America most of a year to design a government that even they considered flawed and unstable.  But hey, knock yourself out.

The irony is, I should be all over this thread, with loads of suggestions and historical reference.  But I just don't feel up to it.  Maybe I've gotten too cynical at seeing the exact same refutations of human governance and the principles for solving such, repeated ad nauseum, always totally confident that they're the first people in history to think to write this shit down.  Or maybe that I prefer dealing with specific scenarios instead of hypothetical napkin drawings.

I can tell you right now, making every office a popular election, and giving one "branch" unanswerable authority over the other two, carries more pitfalls than any theoretically-equitable real government I can think of.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:15 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:42:54 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »

Politics can not and should not be simple.  People who say "wouldn't it be simple if..." statements are just engaging in wishful thinking.  Actually look at what the founders said some time.  The basic divide was between Madison's federalism which said government is really hard, but we owe it to our country men and the world to do our utmost and Jefferson's anti-federalism which said government is really hard and we should do our utmost, but we owe it to our country men and the world to be act with extreme caution.

I want reform as much as the next guy (a lot more probably), but I want my reform to be well grounded in reality, thank you very much.  Saying we need a clean slate is saying that we need to chose ignorance over experience.  Don't blindly follow the rules of yesterday, but learn from the past.

But the real problems in american politics stems from one central fact: lazy voters.  If you want democracy to work for you, you need to work for democracy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:45 pm »

This seems good, but need fleshing out of course.  Having the three branches all be like the Senate is a horrible idea.  The nation would have no public face for foreign relations (the president's original job); and the justices would succumb to politics as usual, resulting in an unstable structure of laws coming and going at all times.  The current overall system works fairly well, perhaps needing some tweaking to encourage more parties.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »

The current overall system works fairly well, perhaps needing some tweaking to encourage more parties.

But we already have statues.  Dining halls, too.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 09:29:58 pm »

The current overall system works fairly well, perhaps needing some tweaking to encourage more parties.

But we already have statues.  Dining halls, too.

Then start engraving everything, and replace all the old crappy doors with good new ones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4