Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 2/08/2011) Completed!  (Read 16529 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 01:20:15 am »

Ya I did, right beneath the first keep. The armory and guards hall border the great keep and there is a little... I guess cul de sac in between the three buildings. I put the hatch right there and the crypts are 2 z levels down. You can't see em in the screen shot but I set it up with wall:coffin:statue. It is kind of a pain to set up because you have to wait for the furniture and the body to be brought in before the wall otherwise the dwarves lock themselves in.
Smart move. The crypts were small, IIRC, but definitely wall:coffin:statue

If I remember my SoIaF correctly (during one of Ghost/Jon's dream-spirit walking and when Bran & Co. were hiding in them), the crypts have several levels of wall:coffin:statue. The lower one goes, the older the crypts are, to the point where the features have been worn off the oldest statues (from cave dust? no wind = erosion??). Kinda interesting that the First Kings of Winter were quite the experts in crypt building (bottom up) ...most people just dig deeper (top to bottom). This of course means that future expansion when the newest crypts are JUST below ground might tend towards a broadening or an increase in length. Inverted pyramid?
Yes, most likely.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:43 am »

Ya I did, right beneath the first keep. The armory and guards hall border the great keep and there is a little... I guess cul de sac in between the three buildings. I put the hatch right there and the crypts are 2 z levels down. You can't see em in the screen shot but I set it up with wall:coffin:statue. It is kind of a pain to set up because you have to wait for the furniture and the body to be brought in before the wall otherwise the dwarves lock themselves in.
Smart move. The crypts were small, IIRC, but definitely wall:coffin:statue

If I remember my SoIaF correctly (during one of Ghost/Jon's dream-spirit walking and when Bran & Co. were hiding in them), the crypts have several levels of wall:coffin:statue. The lower one goes, the older the crypts are, to the point where the features have been worn off the oldest statues (from cave dust? no wind = erosion??). Kinda interesting that the First Kings of Winter were quite the experts in crypt building (bottom up) ...most people just dig deeper (top to bottom). This of course means that future expansion when the newest crypts are JUST below ground might tend towards a broadening or an increase in length. Inverted pyramid?
I certainly don't remember anything about multiple levels. When Eddard was showing crypts to Bran (IIRC), it was specifically mentioned that they passed the coffins of first Stark kings and at the very end of the line were Lyanna's and Brandon's crypts and those prepared for currently living Starks.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 10/29)
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 06:37:10 am »

There is a brief mention of the possibility of lower levels. They are quite vague on this aspect. In the chapter you are talking about as they are passing the older tombs they say "some" of the first kings. Just as an example they never mention anything about Bran the builder. In fact the list of names they start with is about mid way through the Stark geneology, so it stands to reason that there may be lower levels. I likely will not make lower levels until I run out of map space though going horizontally because 2z levels below the crypts is the caverns which I do not intend to breach.

As to the decay of the older tombs. Only the iron swords were rusted out. This would happen in nearly any place exposed to air. Just a fun bit, in that same chapter they mention that the swords were put there to guard against the vengeful spirits of the dead kings and Eddard entertained the thought of these brutal kings roaming around down there. I wish we had ghosts in DF lol I could model this.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

There is a brief mention of the possibility of lower levels. They are quite vague on this aspect. In the chapter you are talking about as they are passing the older tombs they say "some" of the first kings. Just as an example they never mention anything about Bran the builder. In fact the list of names they start with is about mid way through the Stark geneology, so it stands to reason that there may be lower levels. I likely will not make lower levels until I run out of map space though going horizontally because 2z levels below the crypts is the caverns which I do not intend to breach.
Good idea, especially with caverns below your tombs. (Maybe that's what dead spirits were down there...)

As to the decay of the older tombs. Only the iron swords were rusted out. This would happen in nearly any place exposed to air. Just a fun bit, in that same chapter they mention that the swords were put there to guard against the vengeful spirits of the dead kings and Eddard entertained the thought of these brutal kings roaming around down there. I wish we had ghosts in DF lol I could model this.
So! Make swords, then use them a bunch and then put them beside your coffins.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »

Got the Great Keep finished. I also got the Hunter's and King's gate outer gaurd towers finished. I was going to do all of the walls last but I got bored and turned invaders on for some variety.

Here is a close up of the Great Keep:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is a zoomed out shot of everything so far:

One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 11/03)
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 07:02:15 am »

Library tower finished. This one was surprisingly difficult to build. The library tower is supposed to have an external stair case. However, this didn't work out very well in game. There is no easy way to make a stair case which wraps around a wall. I tried making a stair case then 1 floor then a stair case but after 4 floors I realized that the thing would not end at the front again and that I would need an incredible amount of z levels to accomplish that. So, I tried stairs with floors connecting them to each other, but this looked dumb on stonesense. Finally I went with supports under the floors to look like buttresses. Here is the result;

The top ten floors of the tower is the library, then I have 3 floors of offices for the septon, septa, and the steward. The bottom 4 floors house a water reactor and bath house. I choose the library tower for the bath house because in the book after the sack of Winterfell they say there is a steaming pool of water at its base.

The bath house can be found in this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69751.0

Finally an overview;

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 11/05)
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

Son of a shit!  :o  What's your embark size, dude?  What FPS?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:17 am »

Son of a shit!  :o  What's your embark size, dude?  What FPS?

4x4, I am basically taking up all the map. FPS right now is hovering between 15-20. I have 450 dwarves. I left children on too long, I was trying to get the Starks to have children, but alas they haven't so I just picked a dwarf with a bunch of kids to be Robb and named his kids after the Starks. I have since turned off children but my fatality rate is very very low so I'm probably stuck like this till some die of old age. Sieges don't get past my gates. It is currently year 30 of my fort and I think I've lost 6 dwarves. 2 drowned in the murky pools and 4 died of accidents.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:12 pm »

15-20 FPS? Nice.

And 450 dwarves????? WOW!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »

15-20 FPS? Nice.

And 450 dwarves????? WOW!

Ya if you leave children/babies (at default) on for too long and no dwarves die to sieges etc then your population can quickly spiral out of control.

With a child cap of 100, and an average dwarven life span of 150 years, you are looking at a huge number of dwarves if left unchecked. I have no idea what number it would stabilize at but it would certainly be in the thousands and definately be unplayable.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:35 am »

Rookery tower, Bell/maesters tower, and outer walls finished. I also made a well house for the central well. The bell/maesters tower contains a massive brass bell complete with clapper.

and an overview,

The proportion of the bell is off, I was going for Notre Dame type church bell. The only way to make it smaller though is to not include the clapper. That big thing is hollow inside.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Winterfell (Updated 11/09)
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 10:01:19 am »

That green patch of land near maester's tower is... soil?  :o How did you get it so high?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 10:04:49 am »

oh... ya I conducted a bit of !!SCIENCE!! just for this project. This thread has the details.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68945.0

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 10:18:59 am »

You tried a completely new and untested mod for the first time midway through a megaproject?  :o That's awesome.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 10:26:32 am »

lol what can I say, I wanted grass for my balcony gardens.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4