Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pickaxe question...  (Read 1723 times)

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Pickaxe question...
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:45:11 pm »

Does the material that they're made out of affect how fast miners are able to dig?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickaxe question...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:46:48 pm »

Nope.

Valdus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:24:13 pm »

Does the material that they're made out of affect how fast miners are able to dig?

Nope, but having higher quality picks can be useful if the miners get cornered by a hostile and try to defend themselves.  A steel pick in a legendary miner's hands does wonders against most basic cave life such as elk birds.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:22:25 am »

Nope, but having higher quality picks can be useful if the miners get cornered by a hostile and try to defend themselves.  A (masterwork) steel pick in a legendary miner's hands does wonders against most basic ANY cave life such as elk birds FBs

Fixed =]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:07:30 am »

indeed the fix is important.

Your legendary miners can and will 1-shot FBs given the right weapons-grade pick, remember they use their mining skill as a weapon skill while they carry it
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:55:24 am »

Miners are, in fact, very good alternative for early military until you get the steel equipment going. FB, titans, Megabeast... anything goes. Though I wouldn't suggest sending your army of miners against goblin ambush or even siege, that could result the needless death of your miners. And I speak from experience.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:32:54 am »

Their only drawback is that they don't wear armour so they go down fast if they can't one-shot their target.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:34 am »

even if you assign them armor in the millita screen?

make them a squad, and let them fight... unarmed? and see what happens?
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Salacavalini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:23:09 am »

You could assign them to an inactive squad and set them to wear a uniform even when off-duty.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:25:53 am »

Hmmmm... I've got so much goblin copper armour, masks and caps that I'm tempted to assign everyone in my fortress to squads of permanent armoured civilian duty. It would give them one up against the endless hordes of goblins.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »

You could assign them to an inactive squad and set them to wear a uniform even when off-duty.

I think theres a bug with using miners and wood cutters in your military
something to do with an invisible miner/wood cutting uniform, and forcing the two to change between them constantly
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »

Hunters have the same issue, I've found. Haven't tested armored miners.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:44:29 am »

Does the weight of the pick matter? and if it does, which would be better platinum, or Cotton Candy?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:08:45 am »

Does the weight of the pick matter? and if it does, which would be better platinum, or Cotton Candy?
Picks arn't maces so they don't rely on weight to get the job done.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 03:15:31 am »

Picks arn't maces so they don't rely on weight to get the job done.

I myself thought picks were like warhammers with spikes on both sides of the hammerhead.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers
Pages: [1] 2