Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfwash!  (Read 1317 times)

Saina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfwash!
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:24:21 am »

After running into the problem of "Cannot clean self!" I choose to deal with it, and found that by making a main passage in my fort that everyone, or nearly everyone, needs to pass through a small trench with 2-3 water in it so it doesn't just evaporate.

This works quite well, as all my dwarves are clean if wet, and they all have a small skill in swimming now too.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfwash!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:00 am »

Can it be used to drown wash babies?

Those are annoying. :(

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:55:06 am »

I just finished mine, too. A 2x3 trench with ramps either side, on the way into the main dining room. 2/7 water.
Some of my animals had 8 pages of blood splatters on them; as they walked through the washer my game actually crashed.
Twice.
Running dfcleanmap about 10 times cleared it all up, and my FPS jumped from 15 to 47. Glorious!

Saina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

Hard to say, I would need to test that... at current I would say there is a good chance that it would work as they are getting wet at least. Though when they grow to kids they will get the bath either way.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37:27 am »

After running into the problem of "Cannot clean self!" I choose to deal with it, and found that by making a main passage in my fort that everyone, or nearly everyone, needs to pass through a small trench with 2-3 water in it so it doesn't just evaporate.

This works quite well, as all my dwarves are clean if wet, and they all have a small skill in swimming now too.

Top tip: Don't put the bathing pond they have to cross outdoors, at least if you're somewhere it can freeze. See my thread on mysterious dwarf death/unconsciousness: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69158.0

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »

I just finished mine, too. A 2x3 trench with ramps either side, on the way into the main dining room. 2/7 water.
Some of my animals had 8 pages of blood splatters on them; as they walked through the washer my game actually crashed.
Twice.
Running dfcleanmap about 10 times cleared it all up, and my FPS jumped from 15 to 47. Glorious!

Couldn't Toady do something about this already? Really!

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »

I wonder.. if you make the water level 4-6 levels deep, would it teach all your dwarves swimming.. or will they refuse to pass through it?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »

An X-by-1 pool suffices.  You don't need to have ramps both up AND down.  If the trench is just a ramp in the middle of nowhere, it counts as a V-shaped depression in the ground, capable of holding water, etc.

Code: [Select]
=====
++R++   2x1 pool of water
++R++   (top view)
=====

Two "dig channel" jobs, 4 "fill pond" jobs (2 per tile), and it's finished.  And it's glorious.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

I wonder.. if you make the water level 4-6 levels deep, would it teach all your dwarves swimming.. or will they refuse to pass through it?

They refuse. I only had a few bits with 4/7, the rest was 3/7, but it may as well have been magma to my dwarves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »

I'm running the Fortress Defense mod. There's a *lot* more blood than usual.

Try building a pump that pumps water out of, then back into, an aquifer. The flow can sweep babies out of their mothers arms.
I did it once while draining and refilling a moat, with hilarious tragic results.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:55:49 pm »

If you have them go under a waterfall with "G"rates underneath the blood won't get into your water I believe. And if it does I think the pump purifies it. Plus there's the mist.

Basically, waterfall = happy, clean dwarves with no blood spreading around.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:47 pm »

Is the 'Dwarven Microwave' still something to be concerned about?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »

Waterfalls do carry the blood down along their path if they flow through grates, but not down stairways.  Based on my current fort, which has water ducted through stairways, I am really pretty sure about this behavior.  Basically have your waterfall empty over a grate (or a ring of grates around a staircase as I have mine set up) but past that point, use staircases to carry water down to whatever drain point, or the blood and barf etc. will follow the path of water all the way down.

Dwarves don't notices all this pus and vomit floating around in the bottom of the well.  Periodically I run dfcleanmap and get rid of a few years worth of blood pools; I have never seen this have any impact on fps whatsoever.  Not saying nobody else does, but I sure haven't.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »

Twice.

I'm using 3.16 and my dwarves are going to a overground pool and cleaning themselves in it, so he has started to solve it. I have to forbid all soap outside of the hospital, else I get the cannot clean self spam, but other dwarves are cleaning the walls and themselves very effectively.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:56:04 pm »

If you have a hospital there is a simple workaround for the soap "cancels clean self" problem - just change the settings for the hospital so that it claims the maximum value of soap (15000), and don't make or buy any more soap than that.  When someone is injured and a patient care worker will take out some soap to clean them, very briefly afterwards the soap is "free" and you'll get the cancel message, but the hospital will immediately grab it again and the message will go away.  I think you have to have coffers/chests in the hospital to store the soap in though.
Pages: [1] 2