Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Yellow Peril 2010  (Read 5065 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Peril 2010
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2010, 06:34:30 pm »

Is it wrong of me to think that for a few dollars I'd build them a sluice system that would seperate metal components out of the slurry?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2010, 06:41:40 pm »

Is it wrong of me to think that for a few dollars I'd build them a sluice system that would seperate metal components out of the slurry?
There's so much at my work that could be re-organized to be automated, but for some reason they'd never do it.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

Nikov, if you want to refrain from looking like a troll, you ought to at least not do the "you're not willing to think on your own" stuff like you did with Shade-o; between that and several of the other comments you made in the thread, you gave me the impression of trolling.  But I can say at least that it looked like fairly mild trolling, I've seen much worse.

-

I wonder about the mixing with immigrants thing, because China is itself a kinda racist place, as shown by this story about a girl competing in the Chinese equivalent of "America's Got Talent" or one of those other talent shows, who was the China-raised daughter of a Shanghainese woman and an African-American man.  When she became somewhat famous from the show she started to get hate mail like people saying she "should never have been born" and things like that.

But at the same time I wonder if China would be more accepting of mixing than Japan, which has the aging population problem going full force but an even more homogeneous society.  Even though it's mostly Han China has been invaded and has interacted with other cultures much more often, like the Qing dynasty or the Mongols.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

I have serious doubt about the elders being a problem in china.
First gramma work. I know it come as a surprise, but in a rural area, poeple just don't stop working.
Second, this is china : no expensive treatment, no cancer prevention....
And last : That isn't such a problem when yo have free health-care. Sure, the doctor work more, but who said you have to pay them more? Once against, it's china.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »

So your answer to China's problems is that they remain the China depicted in The Sand Pebbles, only with free health care, except they die anyway from cancer. Okay.

I'm sorry I led you to believe I was mildly trolling Shade-O. I'm glad you now recognize I wasn't trying to argue with you.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:56 pm »

Yup, free healthcare doesn't mean good, healthcare, and especially not hospital full of scanner and suff needed to keep old person alive.
My objection on "working 'till you die", is from what I have seen in the rural area of Bulgaria.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2010, 07:34:47 pm »

I still don't get how the collective Greek-culture nation failed. When did this happen? I would have guessed 1941, but they specifically stated 'Ancient'. 146, 64 and 30 BC seem likely, but that's on the barest edge of 'Ancient'.

But looking to the most traditional and most Greek city of all, we can find a link. When Sparta broke with tradition and freed the helots in the 3rd C BC, did that help them? No, they paid dearly. And became Romans.

I don't know, maybe I'm over-analysing it but I found the single thread of logical thought and I followed it to its conclusion, damn it.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »

214 BC to 148 BC. Macedonian Wars.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »

I still don't get how the collective Greek-culture nation failed. When did this happen? I would have guessed 1941, but they specifically stated 'Ancient'. 146, 64 and 30 BC seem likely, but that's on the barest edge of 'Ancient'.

But looking to the most traditional and most Greek city of all, we can find a link. When Sparta broke with tradition and freed the helots in the 3rd C BC, did that help them? No, they paid dearly. And became Romans.

I don't know, maybe I'm over-analysing it but I found the single thread of logical thought and I followed it to its conclusion, damn it.

The idea that The Romans and the Greeks somehow collapsed in the way a modern state would collapse is a deep misunderstanding of the ancient world.

First, one must understand that the concept of Nation and the Concept of State are separate concepts. A Nation is all the people who label themselves the same thing. A State is a government body and the land it controls, and the inhabitants of that land. The Nation-State is a fairly recently established one, in which all nations of peoples ought to have a state for themselves to dwell in.

While there was certainly a Greek nation for centuries, there were many Greek States, at least until Macedon conquered the Peninsula. When Macedon under Alexander conquered Persia to the Indus river, they did not somehow displace all the peoples living there and replace them with greeks. The State is a very tenuous thing in this period, and has far more to do with where the cities ship their tax tribute to, and whose face is on the coins, than anything else.

The greeks never turned their backs on their traditional values; they differed from city to city in very divergent and incompatible ways. Consider the Tyranny of the Thirty, when Sparta conquered Athens and installed a despotic ruling class of 30 men, restricted voting rights to a highly select elite group, and stripped rights away from lower classes. It ended in violent rebellion of course.

The Romans on the other hand are another matter entirely. Though we like to look at maps with pretty boarders showing the extent of the Roman Empire covering everything from England to North Africa, Spain to Syria, the simple fact is that anything recognizably Roman was mostly absent beyond the Italian peninsula. There were colonial settlements of course, cultural assimilation throughout the Empire, but most of it's territory consisted of nations of other peoples that simply submitted to Roman overlordship, lest they be conquered by force, or peoples conquered by force and forcefully held under the Roman Eagle's wing. In addition, the Romans habitually welcomed nations from outside their borders into the empire as Federated peoples. They allied with Rome, and were given land to settle in.

While the reasons for the Western collapse are poorly understood, and far too complex to ever be really analyzed, the final breaking point simply must have been that the Western Empire simply no longer had the power to assert it's authority and project it's power to enforce it's laws and borders. The emperor had no clothes, as they say. Thus, the people who were already there simply became independent of the Empire, and other Imperial land was gobbled up by Scandinavian invaders who met only the most token resistance.

The Eastern Empire on the other hand remained able to enforce it's laws and borders, and lingered longer. Though, I do suppose they abandoned their traditional principles. The Romans adopted Christianity after centuries of Paganism. Somehow, I doubt that's the intended message of the commercial though.
!!&!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:36 pm »

Worth pointing out that the usual given date of 476 for the fall of the western roman empire is mostly a legalistic convention. By that point the WRE hadn't existed in any meaningful way for a while, and the so-called last emperor was actually the son of an Ostrogoth warlord who had given him the title in order to legitimize his own ruleship, and possibly for sht and giggles. When he was overthrown the next incumbent barbarian warlord made a deal with the Eastern Roman Emperor: he'd not claim the title, and would in fact hand back the imperial regalia. In exchange, the ERE would recognize him as the legitimate ruler of his lands (nominally under ERE rule, but in practice independent)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »

I for one welcome our yellow masters.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 09:11:39 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:43:22 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:54 am »

To get somewhat back on-topic, apparently the "Free trade = Selling our jobs to the Chinese" tack isn't just one random f**kwad. It's a Democratic strategic move, because similar ads are popping up in tight races across the country. Just saw one last night from Bob Etheridge here in NC.

Way to douche it up, Dems. Thanks for reminding me why I am now and will likely always be, an Independent.

I wouldn't even have so much beef with it if it were presented purely as an economic issue. I'm not exactly fond of outsourcing myself, nor am I particularly fond of NAFTA. But it's not just "outsourcing jobs to China". It's "outsourcing jobs....TO CHINA!" (cue ominous images of inscrutable Asian hordes). I'm halfway surprised they didn't have some guy in yellowface saying, "Sank yoo, me take your job rong time!!"

The one comfort in this is that my local (D) Congressman hasn't run any of this crap. Probably because he's up like 20 pts in the polls and doesn't need to, but I like to fool myself into thinking it's because he's above that kind of garbage.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:35 am »

Uh... this is a Republican ad.  Which bit did I miss?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:33 am »

Both sides are playing the xenophobia card. A few pages back, somebody mentioned an ad in Ohio that had dancing dragons and such, just really playing up the "Chinese are WEIRD" angle more so than the economic one. I found it on YouTube, and it turned out to be a Democratic ad. And now I'm finding more Dem ads using the same basic script of China-bashing and protectionism.

In short, both parties suck goat balls. At this point, I'd totally be onboard with an insurgent third party, if there were one that wasn't batshit crazy/cripplingly naive.

Maybe I should start a regional party for Southern moderate independents. I could call it the Sweet Tea Party.

EDIT: Reuters and Wall Street Journal have picked up on this as well, although their focus seems to be on the old storyline of "Democrats hate businesses!" rather than the racist/xenophobic tones.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:30:05 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7