Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Yellow Peril 2010  (Read 5064 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Peril 2010
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »

If you're Macedonian, I salute you for your patriotic sentiment. Otherwise, don't be stupid.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:07 pm »

You mean this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »

I'm not saying they don't have a demographic problem. I'm saying that it's not the Gray Armageddon that some are predicting.

There's actually a good book that came out recently, Shock of Gray, that discusses how this is pretty much a worldwide phenomenon, and will be self-correcting in a few generations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »

Wow, Nikov, after your fighty "the person posting this isn't going to defend the article" thing you really had nothin', didn't you?  Nothin' at all except some random China trivia.  No wonder you wanted to avoid discussing the post, you couldn't come up with any criticisms of any substance.  Weak sauce, man.  So much for thinking for yourself.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »

Yeah, sure. Auto, if you want to call everyone back on track, feel free.

Redking, I don't think the oncoming demographic crunch is an civilization-crushing scenario by any means, but I do think a lot of the outdated institutions like national pensions or a 65 retirement age is going to buckle under financial stress. Now we've seen riots in France just last week against students having to work two more years, and proposed government cuts in Greece prompted riots as well. I just have a hard time believing the status-quo can muddle through this phenomenon, even if it does self-correct in thirty or fifty years.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »

Chickened out again.  It's history repeating itself. ("That's so second-page-of-this-thread, and we're totally on the fifth page."  Come on, really?)

But sure, if you don't feel up to it I wouldn't want you to strain anything.  But as you said yourself - on page four even, so contemporary! - "ignoring it won't improve your ability to deal".
Legendary Idler

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:11 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:42:14 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »

I am beginning to feel you are attempting to incite me into an arguement I do not desire, and hope to reconcile with you that such is not the case.

FakeEdit: Thanks Baughlir. To blow your mind further, crunch some figures and come up with what percent the middle third must be taxed to pay for the top third's retirement. Then pay for the bottom third's education. You begin to see my point of view.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 05:18:36 pm »

You did all the inciting to argument Nikov, you were the one who challenged me to defend my post - you just couldn't follow through with anything to defend against.  Like I said, don't trouble yourself; let it worry you no more.  You failed at trolling, that can be the end of it.
Legendary Idler

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »

Looks like China's going to be a great place if you're born with 'The Gay', unless you happen to be female, then you've got some slim pickin's.

If China goes to war like all the video games love to predict, they could pre-emptively pull out of a future recession.

Fake-edit: Nikov will never back down, the only way to stop debating is to say he's right or agree to disagree without saying you are agreeing to disagree. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2010, 05:23:12 pm »

Welll... China could try and get lots of immigrants in, I guess.  There are plenty of countries with a surplus of young people.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:55 pm »

Defend against me? No. Defend against Shade-O. You wouldn't defend the ad against Shade-O and it wasn't going to defend itself, so Shade-O was asking questions to blank space.

Why did you assume I was asking you to defend it against me? I wasn't arguing it. I never challenged you to defend it. I simply said you weren't.

I'm glad we're at least clarifying this, although I'd appreciate if you didn't call me a troll.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »

WE MUST DEFEND AN ADVERTISEMENT FROM THOSE WHO WOULD MEAN IT HARM. EVEN IF THEY LEFT HALF A THREAD AGO.

I hate the ad and it signifies everything that is wrong with America today.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:39:44 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:32 pm »

Which is why I wouldn't defend it! Its a stupid congressional race ad slapped out for shock factor right before the polls! I have no interest in it, Auto clearly disagrees with it, and Shade disagrees with it!

That's why I'm not arguing it!

*has seizure*

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

Welll... China could try and get lots of immigrants in, I guess.  There are plenty of countries with a surplus of young people.
Usually enterprising young people try to find a place where minimum-wage jobs are things like serving burgers, not places where 'minimum wage' is a few pennies in return for wading into vats of heavy metals (including mercury) to retrieve chunks of gold out of scrapped electronics.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7