Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Science: caging trapavoid with GCS  (Read 8369 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Science: caging trapavoid with GCS
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Theory: If a giant cave spider web is on the same tile as a cage trap, it allows the caging of [TRAPAVOID] creatures such as forgotten beasts.

Result: TRUE

Method: A hostile GCS was released from a cage, via lever, on the other side of fortifications from a fleeing dwarven miner and a row of cage traps. The dwarf was fleeing from a forgotten beast that was formerly trapped behind a rock wall. The spider covered most of the traps with sprayed webs, and then both the dwarf and the pursuing beast were caged. A door was then unlocked, allowing the spider to run into a cage trap for easy clean-up.

Note: The test was repeated on a second forgotten beast, which happened to be made of flames. Magma-safe mechanisms and steel cages were used in the traps. The resulting steel cage containing the beast generated heat like a lignite bin. A dwarf who attempted to store this cage in the animal stockpile was completely incinerated. However, the dead remains of a flame beast do not generate heat.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Dwarven Science: caging trapavoid with GCS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:58:50 pm »

That sounds like amazingly dangerous levels of potential Fun with caged flame beasts.  Also, I'm not too terribly surprised at this discovery, as any incapacitation, no matter how brief, results in caging if the subject is standing on a cage trap.
Sanity is for the weak.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »

This also occurs if a trap-avoiding creature is stunned by a cave-in while standing on a cage trap (and I'm not sure if it's been fixed or what, but cave-ins also stun creatures which normally are immune to stun, which can lead to caged HFS).

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:03:01 pm »

Can creatures with other nasty abilities do things even within a cage?  For example spread dusts or vapors?

[and what happens if you douse the cage with water?]
Cage traps are my magma.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:11 pm »

No, and nothing. Creatures in cages are for all intents and purposes in suspended animation, except when it comes to pregnant females (who can give birth whilst caged).

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »

I figured Forgotten Beats would have had [WEBIMMUNE].
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:39:34 pm »

I heard somewhere that naked dwarves can carry around cages with firey things in them without dying. But I think that was 40d.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:57:00 pm »

That was 40D, before fat boiled off painfully.

Used to be that the clothing burned, setting the dwarf on fire.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

No, and nothing. Creatures in cages are for all intents and purposes in suspended animation, except when it comes to pregnant females (who can give birth whilst caged).

I remember seeing caged zombie creatures still release miasma, and if i remember correctly in Deon's Genesis mod there's a mind flayer troop that keeps on spamming AoE attacks even while caged (they don't seem to have any effect though...)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:54:39 am »

I remember seeing caged zombie creatures still release miasma, and if i remember correctly in Deon's Genesis mod there's a mind flayer troop that keeps on spamming AoE attacks even while caged (they don't seem to have any effect though...)

Yes, I had a zombie olm or couple caged. Had to toss them into magma due to constant miasma.

This is very nice !!SCIENCE!! however, and brings in lots of FUN into the game now that I know for sure there's a way to cage HFS and FBs. Must have them for my zoo!

Best FB trap designs anyone?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 01:18:11 pm »

Having an ancient flame beast melting your glacier water for you would be awesome. Can we do that?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 02:06:50 pm »

This also occurs if a trap-avoiding creature is stunned by a cave-in while standing on a cage trap (and I'm not sure if it's been fixed or what, but cave-ins also stun creatures which normally are immune to stun, which can lead to caged HFS).

This definitely wasn't possible back in 40d (you could use cave-in dust to capture tentacle demons and frog demons, but the same trick did not work on spirits of fire due to [NOSTUN]) - are you absolutely certain this can be done in 0.31?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »

Then I'm wrong and said demons simply lacked the tag.

are you absolutely certain this can be done in 0.31?

and I'm not sure if it's been fixed or what

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 03:32:36 pm »

Cage a fire creature
Turn off temperature
Move cage to beneath entrance in an 8-tile room shaped as such:
#####
#...#
##C.#
#...#
#####

Remove room roof and place grates above to maintain entrance passability.
Turn temperature back on.
Pump or dump water in to cage room.
Steam cook invaders.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

I don't think steam has done damage in a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2