Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves as a Historical Civilization. Explain.  (Read 1807 times)

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves as a Historical Civilization. Explain.
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:29:03 pm »

I was interested for the sake of blah-blah what human civilization you think our beloved (?) dorfs most resemble. I lean towards the Aztecs as they:
- Were aggro people setting out to a foreign land and laying waste to their neighbors.
- Created an improbable city in the middle of a lake and festooned it with mega-projects.
- Gave rise to craftsmen of legendary skill and interesting taste (flayed human skin suits, for instance).
- Embodied the Armokian spirit of spilling industrial quantities of blood.
- Inevitably overrun by an incursion of neighbors led by several uninvited guests with metal skin. Beware their pestilential breath.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves as a Historical Civilization. Explain.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:35 pm »

Bearded explorers with steel and a penchant for blood? Vikings. Which fits the usual quasi-Norse dwarf anthropology well.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »

I demand an Aztec mod.

EDIT: I may do that myself, actually.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:12:05 pm by nbonaparte »
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:52:00 am »

If you want a human/dwarf sacrificial altar, ask me.
I'll make a reaction to turn corpses into barrels of blood.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:32 am »

Bearded explorers with steel and a penchant for blood? Vikings. Which fits the usual quasi-Norse dwarf anthropology well.
Fun fact, Vikings weren't allowed to grow long beards, as it would be a great impediment in one-on-one combat. A dude's got hold of your bears, that dude's got control of your head.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:31:59 am »

Fun fact, Vikings weren't allowed to grow long beards, as it would be a great impediment in one-on-one combat. A dude's got hold of your bears, that dude's got control of your head.

If someone had my bear, I'd be doing what they say. Hell, I'd panda to them.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:33:00 am »

^^^ Goddamn.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:47:30 pm »

I have heard that although vikings did not have long beards, they would grow longer moustaches upon their trimmed beards. I have encountered several dwarves with moustaches longer than their beards.

As a Norse/Germanic legend, rather like the fairy folk of the British Isles, I feel most comfortable with visualising Dwarves as Viking-like. I would not be able to take Dwarves as being Scottish, as I see it as utterly unfounded in mythology and bizarre. It's like all Elves being depicted as having Afrikaner accents.

European Civilizations in general appeal to my mental image of Dwarves, but the idea of "mega projects" is quite hard to translate into this. I know such civilizations did create constructions of considerable scope and wonder, take the continent's many cathedrals for example, but I'm not sure if it does the job quite as well as the Aztecs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:01:49 pm by Owlbread »

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:27 pm »

If someone had my bear, I'd be doing what they say. Hell, I'd panda to them.

None of that, we already have one bear pun thread.

I bet there's a South America map floating around to go along with the mod.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:06:37 pm »

Well, I already generated the Nahuatl language. I'll start a thread when I get some more progress.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.