Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Man of Temporal Science!  (Read 4686 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of Temporal Science!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 12:32:33 am »

Currently 4 votes saying "time travel a short distance into the future" and 4 votes saying "arrange to have the time machine retroactively have been built elsewhere" and 1 vote saying to do both. Tiebreaker, please!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 01:07:26 am »

Whenever we go, take the plans with us.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 07:31:49 am »

Send a letter to yourself ten years in the past. Instruct yourself to keep a detailed schematic of the device, and to construct it somewhere hidden on the isle of Sicily, where it shall be safe from the French. Then, in this timeline, destroy the machine. It will never have been here, but we'd best be safe until we can figure out exactly what time-travel does to the space-time continuum here.

EDIT before I forget:
Include a reminder that this letter needs to be sent to yourself to ensure continuity of the timeline. Also, remind yourself that who but yourself would know of the time machine. After all, we don't want our advice to not be taken.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 09:35:24 am »

Send a letter to yourself ten years in the past. Instruct yourself to keep a detailed schematic of the device, and to construct it somewhere hidden on the isle of Sicily, where it shall be safe from the French. Then, in this timeline, destroy the machine. It will never have been here, but we'd best be safe until we can figure out exactly what time-travel does to the space-time continuum here.

EDIT before I forget:
Include a reminder that this letter needs to be sent to yourself to ensure continuity of the timeline. Also, remind yourself that who but yourself would know of the time machine. After all, we don't want our advice to not be taken.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:48 am »

Precommit to sending an army of your future selves with futuristic weaponry to 5 minutes from now.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »

Travel to 5000.1 AD.

*High-fives Aklyon.  8)
We can't go to 5000.1.
Why not? 5000.1 is 1 second into the year 5000 AD, nothing could go wrong that fast.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

-You can go to 5000.1, if you want. I'm not going to stop you. But, You Have Been Warned.
-Armok's plan is perfectly valid, but it did not receive sufficent votes. So no clone army. Yet.

Anyways, updates:

You are Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci. You were born in 1453, in the italian town of Vinci, Tuscany. The current year is 1500, and you're hiding out in your Secret Base on the island of Sicily. The French have invaded your beloved Italy, but they have not yet been able to advance past Milian. Nobody's sure why. Regardless, you're safe here and you have More Pressing Matters To Attend To.

When you moved here, and began construction of your Secret Base, after receiving a Mysterious Package on your doorstep, exactly ten years ago, everyone Thought You Were Mad. You Will Show Them, for inside the Mysterious Package, you found a Mysterious Letter, instructing you to move to Sicily, and a Large Bag of Money. Also inside was a Set of Schematics, a Manual and a Journal. You've read the first two, but the Mysterious Letter said to Wait Ten Years to read the Journal.

You have just completed your New Invention, which you are sure will revolutionize the history of science: The Pan-Chronological Teleporter! Once it was finally finished, you opened up that journal that you received and found that is was a Journal From Yourself giving you some vague instructions:

-You can teleport to anywhere in the world, but you wouldn't know if that place is covered in water or in the middle of a valley or anything about the terrain before arriving, and by that time you can't get back!
-You can go to any time you want, but going back in time before the invention of your time machine could potentially cause Paradoxes, or Strand You in the past for the rest of your life.
-Attempting to go to the Moon, or to the Stars or to any other place like that is a bad idea! There is no Air there.
-Do not travel past 5000AD! It is a Bad Place.
-Be sure to Send the Mysterious Package to Yourself! Not doing so will cause a Paradox. That would be Very Bad.

What do you do?

>

Possessions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:52 pm »

Make copies of the objects then send the copies back.  If we send the originals we will cause an unstable time loop due to the objects breaking down from wear and tear.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »

Make copies of the objects then send the copies back.  If we send the originals we will cause an unstable time loop due to the objects breaking down from wear and tear.
and then send a boomerang to 5000.1, and check its condition when it finally comes back to us.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 12:03:30 pm »

You makes copies and send them back, just as the journal instructs you to. This is rather Boring, so you decide to play with your Time Machine and send a Boomerang (which you invented, by the way) through to 5000.1 and then right back. It comes back on fire and covered in a pulsating green slime.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 02:02:25 pm »

Wait, how did we get it back? We can chronoport items both to and away from our Pan-Chronological Teleporter?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

Its a Boomerang.
it ALWAYS comes back, even if it has to time travel several thousand years backwards.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

I had assumed we invented a time traveling boomerang.  Useful for scouting out a location so we don't go somewhen dangerous.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 12:46:33 am »

Wait, how did we get it back? We can chronoport items both to and away from our Pan-Chronological Teleporter?

It flew into the portal, out into another time, then right back in. I was tempted to say "no" but the plot is going slow already.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 01:25:10 am »

Go to the year 2015.  If we could invent a time machine before electricity, imagine what we can do with modern technology.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5