Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Chrononauts - I've got all the time in the world. (Turn 5)  (Read 5899 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Chrononauts - I've got all the time in the world. (Turn 5)
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:13:40 pm »

Actually you know what let's just make a new thread.

(No, this is not the popular card game.)

In the year 2050, a disastrous and unspecific disaster occurred (or, more accurately, ended) that wiped out the entire human race off the face of the earth. It was uncreatively called the Great Disaster, because only eleven people survived it.

Those eleven people are you.

You are a representative from one of the 11 major (off the top of my head) countries: Canada, America, Mexico, Brazil, Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Australia. You have been supernaturally endowed with the amazing ability to travel through time at will, taking anything you are carrying with you. You are able to travel back as far as the 1700s. You will appear in the exact same place, except in that year (unless there is a building or object in the way, in which case you will be moved a bit away rather than telefragged). You have that entire timestream to work with. (The actual cause of the disaster will be provided in the post below and changed as the timestream is cut and patched.)

Your ultimate goal:
Prevent society from being destroyed (and maybe cut your country a bigger slice of the pie while you're at it). The time travelers will not be working together, unless they choose to. You can write your character in English, but they are speaking their native language.

As time travelers, you are immune to the changing of time. There is no time limit, and you have literally all the time in the world. If you are in a timestream that is changed, for example, Phily is blown up in the 1700s and you are in Phily in the 1800s. It is like a wave of silence and blackness and then the world is completely different.

TO ADDRESS TIME PARADOXES:
There can never be two of the same time traveler in the same place. If he teleports to where he was, he will not be there. But he will be there, because he teleported there.
To use an example:
The American time traveler, These Colors Don't Run, and the German time traveler, Fur das Vaterland, get in a fight. Fur das Vaterland hears him rummaging around in a file cabinet, comes in, beats him up, and runs off. Colors is not happy about this, and decides to come back and help himself win the fight. He travels back, Fur das Vaterland comes in, beats him up again, and now he's in the same position except worse off. Colors is even less happy about this. He travels forward in time, gets a gun, and comes back. He waits. Fur das Vaterland never comes. Color was waiting around the corner the whole time, Fur das Vaterland never heard him, he never came in and they never fought.

But. What if investigating the files was part of Fur das Vaterland's mission objective all along? He would walk in either way. So Color sets up an ambush. But there are things called 'time memories' (named by the time travelers). Fur das Vaterland remembers vaguely the events that never happened, because they happened. As he is walking down the hallway, he remembers the shuffling of papers that isn't there. As he opens the door, he remembers the hasty slamming shut of a filing cabinet, even though no such sound is emitted. As he walks in, he remembers seeing Color here, he remembers the fight. If Color shoots him anyway, too bad, so sad, you really should've expected it. However, he can instantly jump to a different year, and Color will lose him. If he remembers Color setting up the ambush, decides to get revenge, gets prepared, and goes back, he can kill Color. But, Color has a time memory of him vanishing. Hell, he doesn't even have a time memory, he saw him. He knows he'll be back. He can travel back a few hours and fortify the building. He can jump all over time and set up turrets and shit (although it would take more than one turn, even though the battle would end up the same). If Fur das Vaterland walks into that it is his own fault.

In short, the only way to kill a time traveler is to do it the first time.

Now, you could abuse your time travel powers to flash forward and backward instantaneously in a single second. However, time traveling is a disorienting business, since it involves the entire scene around you changing. Doing it over and over again back and forth in a single second would make your vision blur and blend together and give you the killer headache from Hell. You could indeed hold those two seconds, but you could not do anything with them. To everyone else, it would look like you were there for a second and then vanished.

RULES:
The game will be done in turns. You will PM me what year you want to go to and what you want to do there. When all the turns are submitted, I will compile a post of what the results are. Don't expect too frequent updates. You can, optionally, post a paragraph of what you are doing in the IC thread. Do not sign up to join this RP if you are not going to be prompt with your turns.

Character Sheet:
Name:
Nationality:
Description:

Example:
Name: John Frotz
Nationality: Canada
Description: John Frotz is an average-built man in his thirties. He has the supernatural ability to travel through time. He is a good-natured guy who wants what is best for himself, his country, and the world. He is straightforward and honest.

RULES:
1. This will be updated every weekend. You have the entire week to get your actions in.
2. If you do not submit an action by the weekend, you will be skipped. Everyone else gets to do what they chose to do, including "stab you with a knife".
3. If you miss the deadline twice, you will lose your character and it will be given to someone else. No refunds.
3a. If you post in advance that you will be gone, you can appoint a substitute to take your place while you are gone. Feel free to send actions anyway if you get hold of a computer.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:29:24 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chrononauts - Time... marches ON!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:14:05 pm »

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Timeline
September, 1767: Benjamin Franklin is assassinated.
1773: George Washington is assassinated.
September 3rd, 1783: American Revolutionary War lost.
1793: Napoleon Bonaparte is killed by an artillery piece rigged to explode.
1833: Second Revolutionary War is fought and won. America becomes an independent country, and having long since abandoned the slave trade, is far more unified and productive than it would have been otherwise. The Civil War is never fought.
November 11th, 1918: Germany surrenders in the Treaty of Versailles.
October 1917: Russian Revolution replaces Provisional Government with the Soviet Union.
October 29, 1922: Mussolini establishes a fascist government in Italy.
1922: Albert Einstein is assassinated while giving a speech in Japan.
1929: John Hancock is put on the one hundred dollar bill. It is two times larger than all other dollar bills.
1942: J. Robert Oppenheimer invents the nuclear bomb.
1948: Israel declares independence.
1949: The communist Chinese People's Republic is formed.
1998: The Second Congo War begins.
2000: A secretive underground society is formed in an unknown place.
September 11th, 2001: A hijacked airplane is flown into the World Trade Center.
April 10th, 2010: Polish president Lech Kaczynski and 96 others perish in a plane crash in western Russia.
May 20th, 2010: North Korea sinks a South Korean warship.
2021: North Korea declares war on South Korea.
2049: Nuclear barrages finally cease as automatic systems fizzle out.

Great Disaster: Occurred.
Chrononauts: Born.

Action Rules:
The chrononauts begin in the capital city of their country. It takes one turn to move to another city, country, or continent by train, air, car, or boat. It takes two turns to change an event on the timeline, one to set up however you will be doing it, and one to execute it. All other major actions are one turn by default, thought subject to change. Talking is a free action as long as you are doing other things and not just talking.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:02:08 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:41 pm »

Ugh, do I have to post my player again? Action remains the same, travel back in time to 1922 and assassinate Einstein when he visits Japan, and blame the Nazis.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:32:40 pm »

I didn't join the first time, due to not knowing all that much about history. That probably won't much matter after the first four turns or so, though, so I'll join for a nation I know little about.

Name: Liu Fong
Nationality: Chinese (They seem like nice people who would gladly give me stuff to do time-stuff. I just know the frequent capital shifts will get in the way of my nefarious plans.)
Description: Despite growing up in a bunker, Liu had a decent, if dreadfully boring, childhood. He spent much of his time learning languages. He fluently knows Mandarin Chinese, and is completely confidant (Wrongfully so) with his American English and French. He has a low tourist-level competency in Spanish, German, Russian, and Japanese. Having live in a bunker for most of his life, he is not very athletic. He is, however, quite narcissistic, and will probably almost certainly use his newly discovered powers of time travel to attempt to rule the world after getting several major cities and landmarks named after himself. He is currently in a bunker near Beijing, wearing a black tuxedo and black sunglasses. They aren't as stylish as he hopes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:12:03 pm by Nirur Torir »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »

Name: Adolfo Gonzales
Nationality: Mexico
Description: Adolfo was born the son of a middle-class technician and a teacher. He always had a fascination with history, and has gone to living with Mexican nationalism instilled in his very spirit. He despises the U.S. for owning territories which he believes are clearly Mexican in nature. He knows Spanish and simple English. He prefers to wear simple clothing. He has short black hair and brown eyes.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

Remaining countries: Canada, Brazil, Britain, France, Germany, Russia.

Updating first post with action rules!
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »

This looks like it could be pretty fun, and posting once every 7 days *shouldn't* be too hard. How's this character?

ANDRÉ DUPONT
Nationality: France
Description: André was a man born to French pastry chefs. Globalization forced the many famous pastry and bread shops of France to practice more cost-efficient methods of making their products (ie, using frozen dough instead of making their own), but his father refused to adapt, believing the traditional way would earn them enough business to make a living. His father was wrong, and before long the family business was shut down, unable to compete. His mother, who had always been frail, quickly died to illness on the street and his father killed himself shortly afterward. Despising his families weakness, André worked hard at many different jobs, all while living under a bridge, eventually gaining a small fortune from his hard work. With this money, he put himself through college and landed a job with the government. This is when he became a chrononaut. To this day, André harbors a hatred for all forms of globalization and America(in his mind, globalization only exists as Americanization, such as the McDonaldization that destroyed his family). Because of this, he will probably abuse his powers to weaken America as much as possible, and stop the spread of globalization.

edit: hey adolfo, let's team up and take down America :p
edit2: when is our first action post required? this weekend, or whenever enough players have signed up for all countries? ie should I be pming you a message now or wait until everyone is here?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:28:54 pm by Chutney »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:28 pm »

You can go ahead and send me an action. I'll close character creation when I put up the first turn.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:21 am »

edit: hey adolfo, let's team up and take down America :p

Dude, we in 2 different cities, and we don't bloody speak the same language. Besides, I never said what I was going to do.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:23 pm »

Ok, I may need to impliment some sort of money system, or at least try to justify where you are getting some of these assassination materials, guys. Remember, it's two turns to set up an action and that does not include procuring supplies.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:39:35 pm »

Ok, I may need to impliment some sort of money system, or at least try to justify where you are getting some of these assassination materials, guys. Remember, it's two turns to set up an action and that does not include procuring supplies.

I'm sure we can find most of it on the black market for dirt cheap. We arn't OH GOD WHY poor people. Hell, we probably could steal from a guy and then just time travel away.

Now advanced weaponry, that might be something completely different. The black market has its limit, you see.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:57:20 pm »

Or you know, we can use our hands, or garrot wire, or knives.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01:41 pm »

I just draw the line at procuring arsenic from somewhere.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 07:53:45 am »

I just draw the line at procuring arsenic from somewhere.
So your saying that it would be hard to get?

I have read that you can buy a few arsenic tablets in India... for about 1 dollar.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:56:18 am by Humaan »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chrononauts - Time is running out!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 05:27:22 pm »

Well, looks like pretty much the same number of players.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: [1] 2 3 4