Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 26643 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

It could be really dangerous just mining down the cliff face. The rock would be absolutely slick constantly, the waves would be breaking on you, and the sharks would be watching.

A far more sensible idea is to fire a ballista at the icebergs and use a rope tied to the bolt to shimmy across.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

You're lucky mounted harpoon guns were part of my plan anyway or I might call that silly.

I'm lucky I can think dwarvenly or I'd have asked you how they'd shimmy back up (you reel them in, silly!).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No no no. You assemble a catapult on the iceberg (fire the materials across) and get the dwarf to shoot themselves back to land. You just have to cover the probable landing surface with spikes so that they can grab hold when they hit the cliff face.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

My god, that graveyard (just a memorial really, as we wouldn't have the bodies) would have the most hilarious collection of tombstones ever.

Here lies Urist McMiner
Missed with a catapult

Here lies Urist McCarpenter
Impaled on the cliff face. Unable to reach to give a proper burial.

Here lies Urist McBrewer
Missed with a catapult

Here lies Urist McGemcutter
Missed with a catapult

Here lies Urist McMason
Missed with a catapult

Here lies Urist McCatlover
Missed with a catapult, crash-landed into brewery. Hilarity ensued, but alas, Urist was not there to partake in it.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, we don't have many attractive options. Building a causeway out to sea would take forever, and be incredibly dangerous. Boats would be smashed, even assuming we knew how to make/sail one. Sending permanent lines out would have to contend with the icebergs constantly coming closer and moving away.

Really, ballistic launches are the only option.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

We just need to tame Giant Eagles to carry us across!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile

We just need to tame Giant Eagles to carry us across!
THIIIIS!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile

Or we could build a floor a few Z-levels above the ocean and build hanging platforms from those :D

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile

I, too, support the Deep North Ballistic Colonization Program as our primary project, but isn't launching parachute dwarves with a catapult cheaper and more militaristically applicable than wasting great lengths of rope on each harpoon?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The harpoon would be disengaged from the ice after the dwarf slides down the rope, and reeled back in from land. Otherwise it would dip into the water or snap due to iceberg movement.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Pulley and rope elevator. Once we build the main pulley, we just need as much rope (or much, much more preferably, non-corrosive chains) as it takes to reach the bottom. If we got really advanced we could even have the place where you stand hold the chain-moving part, so you don't need to rely on a team of others to use it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

//Day 5\\

Quote from: Shade's Day
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Survival - Communications and Rations for the day...

Work –
Spoiler: Task:: Mining (click to show/hide)

Results :: 13Hours = 5 Rolls, 30mins ‘wasted’. Mining Skill is Adequate = 2D6

Revival - Night came…

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Raw Consumptions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mining Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships Status (click to show/hide)
I hope that this new system is better...

Quote from: Arkon's Day

Survival - Communications and Rations for the day...

Day Work -

Results :: 4Hours = 4 Rolls. Animal Trainer Skill is Dabbling = D6, Dodger Skill is Competent = 3D6.
Work resulted in 8% gain to Basic Training, Dodge 5 times.

Results:: 3Hours = 3 Rolls. Animal Trainer Skill is Dabbling = D6
work resulted in 1% gain to War Taining

Spoiler: Animal Level (click to show/hide)

Night Work -

Results:: 4hours = 2 Rolls. Weapon Smithing is Dabbling = D6

Spoiler: Task:: Military Drills (click to show/hide)

Results:: 2hours = 1 Roll. Random Training = D8 rolled (8 Skills chosen from) = AxeDwarf.
Night Work Resulted in 2hours of Training.

Revival - Sleep was relaxing...

Spoiler: Sharpening Results (click to show/hide)

You just HAVE no luck with the Whetstones, Another Crit FAIL! It was a good thing I was using the worst first else you would have lost a full stone in one go...

Quote from: Torish's Day
Spoiler: Actions[color=green (click to show/hide)

Survival - Torish collected her Rations for the day.

Work –

Results:: 8hours = 8 Rolls. Threshing Skill is Novice = D6

Constructing Loom Workshop –
Built with Wooden Block + Ropereed thread.
Time taken 1hour,
Resulting in Prepared Workshop +-0

Results:: 4hours = 2 rolls, Weaving Skill is Dabbling = D6

Revival - After all that work, sleep was a welcome experience.

Spoiler: Threshing Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weaving Results (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Etur's Day

Survival - Collecting ones rations for the day.

Work –

Spoiler: Task:: Mining (click to show/hide)

Results:: 2.5hours = 6 Rolls. Mining Skill is Dabbling = D6

Revival - Sleep came in the end of the day, and as with the days before, they were peaceful... CRITICAL ROLL!!!

Spoiler: Mining Results (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Sam's Day

Revival – Rations Collected.

Results:: 18hours = 9 Rolls, Butcher Skill is Competent = 3D6

Spoiler: Healing Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Butchering Results (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Vallan’s Day
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Survival - Waking early with a mild cold and grabbing his Rations from the Tent. Watches over other Dwarves while eating.

Work – Would Like to know where Door is to be built, considering you are on a Ramp that is 3 tiles wide with your workshops on them all cramped up against eachother and somehow fitting there with a Mechanic, Mason and Carpenters workshop sitting there with your bed behind them in a small corner which does not technically exist or anything AND the ramp is open to the air before it… Did I mention it was a ramp and in all technicality I should not even have the workshops there and have YET to start putting modifiers on them…… It takes you All DAY to GET A CLUE… So no real work for you…

Revival - With the Cold begining to bother him, he tucked himself into his bedroll, using one of the spares as an extra cover in attempts to stay warmer...

Spoiler: Carpentry Results (click to show/hide)

Ok seriously, Hastur, are you paying attention to the construction plans that have been put down yet??? How much stone has been mined away or anything like that…

Quote from: Irony's Day

Survival - Enjoying the best out of the rations as possible, and sharing the food with his puppy, Irony looks towards his day.

Work –

Spoiler: Task:: Woodcutting (click to show/hide)

Results:: 15hrs = 7 Rolls. Woodcutting Skill is Adequate = 2D6

Revival - Sleeping with a Puppy at your feet and kittens all over your face and in your beard is actually more peaceful then it sounds...

Spoiler: Woodcutting Results (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:00:12 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

How far in are we (mining wise), by the way? Shade made three stone, but is that the distance we mined?

Note in case Shade misses it: Sam needs his bandages changed. Thanks for the cloth, Nirur/Torish.

Samthere, you want me to sharpen things for you? :P

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How far in are we (mining wise), by the way? Shade made three stone, but is that the distance we mined?

Note in case Shade misses it: Sam needs his bandages changed. Thanks for the cloth, Nirur/Torish.

Samthere, you want me to sharpen things for you? :P
I have been giving the stone for tile because its a better method to count for. I don't really like the idea of saying that the stone is wasted like DF does, when it comes to ores though...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I assumed that not producing stone meant that it was made useless by being crushed to gravel or being very fractured.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27