Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RAWS wtf?  (Read 1545 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
RAWS wtf?
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »

I was checking the RAWS one day when i found this

Code: [Select]
who was too short to live
who tunneled away from me like a frightened mole
who sucked plump helmets like a purring maggot
whose hammer shattered on the anvil of my power
who forged [PRO_POS] own doom by challenging me
who was returned to the rock and muck from which it was spawned
whose tall tales of bravery were all the more embarrassing because of [PRO_POS] height

Can some one tell me what this is?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RAWS wtf?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »

It is a list of things things like giants and cyclopses and such say during adventure mode when they first see you to intimidate you.  They pick a random taunt from those lists based on the race of the person they killed.  That one in particular is for a dwarf.

Its one of the things a lot of folks don't realize can be edited.  You can even add whole new lists as long as you have a civ in the raws that point to it.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:58:21 pm »

Looking through these speech text files (which I didn't even realize were there until I saw this thread) I noticed that the greet_baby.txt has text that appears to be specifically for when a NPC is greeting a baby.  While it's amazing that Toady put in the level of detail to deal with this situation, I'm having a hard time imagining when it could ever come up.  How do you go about adventuring as a baby?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:01:19 pm »

Looking through these speech text files (which I didn't even realize were there until I saw this thread) I noticed that the greet_baby.txt has text that appears to be specifically for when a NPC is greeting a baby.  While it's amazing that Toady put in the level of detail to deal with this situation, I'm having a hard time imagining when it could ever come up.  How do you go about adventuring as a baby?

It's for when the player greets an NPC baby.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:21 pm »

It's for when the player greets an NPC baby.

You have crushed my dreams of going adventuring as a baby, and having NPCs coo at me before I bite their legs off.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.