Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I wish this game got a tech tree.  (Read 5248 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: I wish this game got a tech tree.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 11:29:54 am »

A tech tree isn't really necessary but I've always liked how you need to make a 3 tile wide road to get caravans. More features like that should be included in the game. (There are some but most are currently bugged, for example the dungeon keeper)

Technically, the 3 tile road was only a strict requirement back in the old 2D versions - in all of the 3D versions, all you needed was a "smooth" path from the map edge to the depot (where "smooth" means "free of trees and boulders"). Also, said 2D versions even had another special restriction - you couldn't make Electrum until the Dungeon Master arrived (and if you tried via the job manager, it'd give you a witty retort instead).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:32:38 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 02:26:33 am »

you couldn't make Electrum until the Dungeon Master arrived (and if you tried via the job manager, it'd give you a witty retort instead).

I never played that version. What was it? :D
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:06 am »

here already is a tech tree.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »

you couldn't make Electrum until the Dungeon Master arrived (and if you tried via the job manager, it'd give you a witty retort instead).

That would be version 0.23.130.23a (and earlier). There were no Z-levels in Fortress Mode back then, and every fortress had a cave river (which flooded each season), chasm (where you could dump garbage - there were no activity zones), magma river (which was the only place you could build magma workshops), glowing pits (from which HFS would emerge), and adamantine (which would start an "instant game over" timer once you started mining it). If you've ever read the saga of Boatmurdered, then know that it was played back in that overall version (it started in version 0.22.110.22f but gradually worked its way to later versions).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 04:50:29 am »

That would be version 0.23.130.23a (and earlier). There were no Z-levels in Fortress Mode back then, and every fortress had a cave river (which flooded each season), chasm (where you could dump garbage - there were no activity zones), magma river (which was the only place you could build magma workshops), glowing pits (from which HFS would emerge), and adamantine (which would start an "instant game over" timer once you started mining it). If you've ever read the saga of Boatmurdered, then know that it was played back in that overall version (it started in version 0.22.110.22f but gradually worked its way to later versions).

No, I meant: What was the witty retort you were referring to?
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:33 am »

Well the closest thing to a tech tree that will likely remain is the requirement of having an economy before you install shops.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:34 am »

I think it would be interesting to have worldgen tech trees in some fanciful, far-future Dwarf Fortress game.  Maybe "Slaves to Armok III: Dwarf Fortress II: Son of Fortress"

I have no idea what it would cover, though.  There's not really a lot of high technology going around anyway.  But some sort of contingency check that happens during world gen every year or whatever to see if some civ or another has met a condition to have access to some technology.  The best example I can think of, and it's a really bad example, is say, siege engines.  You could potentially start a fortress without access to siege weapons if your civ continually failed to meet some requirement during worldgen.  You didn't have access to enough trees and rope reed, or didn't have enough dwarfs with the right dispositions, or whatever.

It's pretty convoluted and I agree with a million other people that the shit's already pretty deep.  By the time something like that would make sense, DF would have to be a vastly different game.  But stranger things have happened, I guess.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.
Pages: 1 [2]