Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting to make Electric forges  (Read 3063 times)

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attempting to make Electric forges
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

While I am rather in love with the whole text-file modding bit, I cant seem to figure out whats happening - I cant seem to find /all/ of the raws to look through to figure out what stuff does.
I see the reactions stuff easily enough, so that looks fairly simple.. I believe itd be simple enough just to break them all so they didnt use fuel, but thats not what i am trying to accomplish - I wish I create another section of forges/smelters that actually use power from a windmill or watermill..

Unfortunately, as I said - I have no comparison. I tried to find the millstone thing in the raws(the only workshop that uses power, from what I can see), but I cant.. the only building i can see is some soap maker.

Right - What I need, ideally, is somehow to be able to compare what I plan on writing with what already works: I am not asking for someone to write this for me, I am asking for something to compare to - I want to know what works and what doesnt work. Are there other powered workshops someplace I can look at?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to make Electric forges
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:45:49 am »

sorry, not possible to mod buildings to require power. still, build a power plant linked to your forges just for flavor

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:58:40 am »

The millstone DOES use power - is it not possible to change that particular building to do as I want perhaps?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:44 am »

only the soapmaker's workshop is on the raws

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 02:33:09 am »

only the soapmaker's workshop is on the raws
something I am fairly intimately aware of, unfortunately. Can I add reactions of my own to the millstone instead? it wouldnt matter so much that it still looks like a millstone, but can I make it do a forges work?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:53:57 am »

Simply put, no. The only workshops that accept custom reactions are the tanner's, the kitchen, the smelter and any custom buildings you might have (including the soap maker's).
くコ:彡

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:20 am »

and I cant make a custom workshop that requires power :(

Can an item of some sort be made that produces magma? Say, such an item would be powered, and if it has power, makes magma in a square, if not powered, the magma goes away? Theory would state I could build these under an existing magma forge to power it..

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:06 am »

Simply put, no. The only workshops that accept custom reactions are the tanner's, the kitchen, the smelter and any custom buildings you might have (including the soap maker's).
Also the kilns

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:06:52 am »

and I cant make a custom workshop that requires power :(

Can an item of some sort be made that produces magma? Say, such an item would be powered, and if it has power, makes magma in a square, if not powered, the magma goes away? Theory would state I could build these under an existing magma forge to power it..

no.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 11:50:49 am »

I think I remember someone else trying to do something similar, and thought of a workaround. Make a plant (doesn't have to be actually growable) that can be milled at a millstone, thus requiring power, and then use the milled product as a reagent in your "electric forge." The problems with this are twofold: first, the "battery" plant could also be milled at a quern, and second and more importantly, you can't use most powders (such as milled plants) in reactions making the whole thing impossible.

You could also make a workshop with an inbuilt Sterling engine electric generator, but it'd be kind of pointless since you would, logically, need a large heat source like charcoal, coke, or magma. It would be more logical to put electrical reactions in such a building, though, and you could also use your generator to produce "charged battery" toy items from "uncharged battery" toy items made at some other workshop, and then the charged batteries could be used in other processes like electrolysis and the like.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lancefighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »

so I can make custom millstone reactions?

To confirm - if I just wanted to roleplay it, I would remove the [fuel] from all of the smelting reactions, yes?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:13:31 pm »

so I can make custom millstone reactions?
No. You can make custom plants that are millable at a millstone. No custom reaction would be made. No reagent except a plant and bag, and no product except the same bag filled with powder from the milled plant, would be accepted.

To confirm - if I just wanted to roleplay it, I would remove the [fuel] from all of the smelting reactions, yes?
If you remove [FUEL] from a reaction, it won't require fuel, just like the reaction would if run at a magma smelter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:56 am »

You could always make two workshops, one of which produces charge, maybe requiring the pump operator labor, and another is the forge which requires a certain amount of charge for all its reactions. Build them next to eachother, make the power station look like a power station, and think of it as charging up a capacitor or something.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »

It would be more logical to put electrical reactions in such a building, though, and you could also use your generator to produce "charged battery" toy items from "uncharged battery" toy items made at some other workshop, and then the charged batteries could be used in other processes like electrolysis and the like.

Even better: instead of turning charged batteries into uncharged batteries, make the batteries out of a material that has a MAT_FIXED_TEMP greater than or equal to its HEATDAM_POINT. If stored at a temperature below the MAX_FIXED_TEMP (underground is 10015 and near magma is 10075, while outdoor varies with the seasons), it will gradually deteriorate (xbatteryx, XbatteryX, XXbatteryXX) and finally disappear entirely. When the two temperatures were equal (used 10030/10030 underground), the battery lasted about 5 months, while a difference of 1 degree caused it to fail within 2 and a half months; larger temperature differences likewise resulted in more rapid failure, and being stored outdoors caused them to deteriorate quite rapidly (in the spring, they lasted about a month).

For added flavor, make them from nickel bars and aluminum bars and call them NiMH - it explains the self-discharge when not in use, and we can reason that dwarves don't know how to recharge them.

Of course, you'll probably need some special measures to account for the inevitable masterwork batteries you produce, otherwise your battery-maker will be likely to go insane...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.