Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many kobolds???  (Read 3052 times)

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many kobolds???
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:01:54 am »

What causes the arrival of kobolds?  I'm used to goblin ambushes, hadn't even seen a kobold one until this fortress, but last spring at least three squads of kobold archers massacred the elven traders, there were some kobold spearmen somewhere too but can't remember when exactly.

More perplexing is the numbers of thieves I'm getting.  My sentry mule (my cats all got killed by skeletal vultures) alerted me to one and I ignored it, I've got a marksdwarf posted above the gate for a reason...
But then they spotted another thief, and another, so I send my macedwarves in to deal with the influx, who proceed to find four more of the damn things trying to get in through my main gate!

This was more like an ambush squad of Kobold Master Thieves than a burglery!  Is this common for anyone else?  I've done two things different this time, moved to a sinister desert and focused my industry on cloth and spices.  Normally I move to the mountains or forest and focus my industry on stone crafts.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
Re: How many kobolds???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:05:26 am »

It just depends on your proximity to civs. I thought dwarves where the only civ  then in the third or fourth year I got a human caravan. You must be really close to a kobold home place.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:06 am »

How many kobolds???
Not enough.

But, in all seriousness, do you have any Artifact items?
I think they're supposed to arrive depending on how good your defences are and how much wealth you have.

...That is, unless you've removed their [SKULKING] tag....
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:49 am »

Supposedly your kobold problem gets worse the more crap they steal (that's what SKULKING does).

If you murder every kobold that tries to raid your fort, they'll never send more than a couple every season or two. But if they start to successfully steal things they start sending them more often, and if they steal too much they'll start sending ambushers with bows and spears and stuff.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:47 am »

They arrive based on success of previous thieves.
If you allow too much value of stuff to be stolen, master thieves and ambush parties start showing up.
In other words, what Untelligent said (ninja'd).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:10:20 am by Murphy »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:41 am »

One entrance with a meeting area next to it should suffice. They don't stop and fight, once they're spotted they run like little girls.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:25:08 am »

One entrance with a meeting area next to it should suffice. They don't stop and fight, once they're spotted they run like little girls.

That might cease to be a good idea once they start bringing bows and stuff, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:38:37 am »

Oh!  That makes sense, they've been raking it in cause my military isn't trained well enough to take on the roving swarms of skeletal camels, so unless I really need it, I don't go out to get it.  They're welcome to the cat leather quivers and silver daggers they've been taking.

That might cease to be a good idea once they start bringing bows and stuff, though.

Hahaha that was NEVER a good idea on this map.  It took me three embarks before I managed to dig down fast enough to not get instantly eaten.  Camels dude... Camels.

I guess I'll just post my recruits at the main gate and give them some live fire excercise...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:00:21 am »

Strange... just a question here. Are kobolds common in forts? Im on my 3rd fort and have never seen one yet . Been 10 years since my dorfs have settled and not one . Gremlin , gobbos have all been seen.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:11:50 am »

most forts have kobold visiters.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 04:28:17 am »

It usually boils down to where you embarked, are you near any other civilizations? If you're the only one in your area (e.g. an island), then you won't see any unwanted visitors from other civs. You can check the availability of other civilizations from the Civilizations Screen (c) or when you are choosing your embark location (press Tab a few times).

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 05:54:07 am »

If your fort has all civ access and kobold is not extinct you will get kobold visitors. Kobolds can be extinct if there are too many competition for caves like FBs.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 07:01:29 am »

Strange... just a question here. Are kobolds common in forts? Im on my 3rd fort and have never seen one yet . Been 10 years since my dorfs have settled and not one . Gremlin , gobbos have all been seen.
Same here. Haven't seen a single kobbo since .16. Maybe they're broken? (or might be dead in this world too, since I maxed all megabeasts..)
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 07:07:21 am »

I've read that kobolds and goblins both die out pretty routinely in well aged world in the current version and some of the ones preceding it. I'm gonna guess goblins got beefed up, but kobolds are still piddly and therefore retain their habit of becoming extinct.

Similar to what rephikul said, too many caves tends to increase the likelihood of the kobolds dying out.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:20:30 am »

I have had kobos in .16, so they can show up.  They're definitely not bugged.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: [1] 2