Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like Linux? (As an actual, usable OS, not just in concept/principle.)

Of course, I love Linux! Why would I use anything else?
- 9 (10%)
Yeah, Linux's nice. Windows (or Mac OS) still has its uses though.
- 46 (51.1%)
Linux... Meh... Tried it, what's the big deal?
- 7 (7.8%)
Linux? Wuzzat?
- 3 (3.3%)
Bleh. I could use it if I had to I guess...
- 9 (10%)
Linux? Screw that. I'm sticking with Windows/Mac OS!
- 16 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 11272 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linux
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 06:21:36 pm »

3. Why are you running LAMP on a laptop? Just to experiment with?

I'm a poor college student who doesn't have enough dosh for a decent desktop. I'm also in a web development course.

It's also partly experimentation. I had that stuff up before knowing I would be taking that particular course.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »

It's kind of a pity that windows doesn't relate well to the EXT file systems. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I didn't have to defrag those.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »

Okay, yeah.
Turns out that burning a disk with a modern computer fixed whatever issue I was having.
Installing Arch right now.

Bleh, I guess something is wrong with the hard drive after all.
FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:19 pm »

Bleh, I guess something is wrong with the hard drive after all.
FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder

hmmm.... when're you getting this error? during boot?
if you can boot fine, and aren't planning to keep your existing OS, i think you can fix that by repartitioning. fdisk has a command (i forget exactly what it is) to re-initialize (erase) the partition table.
alternately, as root dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1 (replace sda with your actual device). this will overwrite the partition table (and bootloader iirc).
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »

It's under the installation framework.
When I try to manually partition the drive.
I don't want to try auto yet, just in case there's a way to save all my stuff on an external drive, or something.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 02:57:44 am »

Okay, last pair of questions: Does linux use a different file format? Windows uses FAT or NTFS or somesuch, and Macs use a proprietary file format. If the file formats are different, can they stil read off of each other? And if, say, I install a game or program in windohs can I access them in the other two?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 03:53:53 am »

Linux uses EXT3 or EXT4, I believe, but can read and write NTFS and FAT. Windows can't read EXT3/4 unless you install drivers for it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 04:00:00 am »

Okay, last pair of questions: Does linux use a different file format? Windows uses FAT or NTFS or somesuch, and Macs use a proprietary file format. If the file formats are different, can they stil read off of each other? And if, say, I install a game or program in windohs can I access them in the other two?
Longer answer:

Linux will typically use EXT2/3/4(?) as its drive format, which is really awesome - it never needs defragmenting, and I have yet to have issues with corruption on my TB drive. Ubuntu at least will read from an NTFS filesystem (support for this used to be buggy or something), but Windows (at least XP) will take a shit when it sees it and decide it's an unformatted partition. Always makes me nervous seeing it there, dangling, waiting to be used by something. You'll need fs-driver in windows to read from an EXT2 filesystem, BUT, and this is a huge caveat which has prevented me from being able to, the inode size for the filesystem must be 128 bytes or smaller. Ubuntu, by default, formats above this. Major pain in the ass.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 05:11:40 am »

My ubuntu install (from mid last year) used EXT3, though I think modern ubuntu uses EXT4. I'm not sure what I installed to let windows (vista, in my case) read EXT3, it was just something someone in irc.taphouse.org/#subgenius linked me to when I mentioned I couldn't read off my linux partition when running windows. It works, but seems to make Explorer have a fit (it doesn't crash, but it goes up to using an entire core until it's forcefully restarted) if used too long (I think it has something to do with windows trying to make thumbnails of the files in an open directory, but being unable to write to the desired directory).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:46 am »

Wouldn't it be possible to disable the thumbnail making function in Windows? That'd solve the problem and as far as I know most people don't use thumbnails that much anyway.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 05:38:46 am »

Well, I don't know if that's it at all, just that it causes explorer to take up a whole core, and keep taking up a whole core even after I've closed the window with the directory in it, more often than that happens in the windows NTFS partition. But it does work just fine, otherwise. Sadly, I can't recall what it was I installed... :-\

Hmm... It would appear to be Ext2Fsd, which supports Ext3 and inode sizes higher than 128.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 11:00:59 am »

Configured conky today, it runs as sort of bar at the top of desktop, displaying information about my computer. It also shows the last installed package, when I last synced portage, and (when I finish updating my system) if there are any updates available. I'm also updating my system, which seems to slow it to a crawl (compiling around 40 packages tends to do that :-P). It seems the package manager is breaking my libraries one by one, I guess I'll fix them later.

e, I almost forgot:
Spoiler: conky (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:03:52 am by ILikePie »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

Hmm... It would appear to be Ext2Fsd, which supports Ext3 and inode sizes higher than 128.
Thank you for this~! When I was searching for a different solution, fs-driver was the only thing I could find. Now I have to decide if I want to trust a program whose exit prompt is "Are you sure to exit ?" with my precious data, hehe.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:28 pm »

I can't recommend not using fs-driver enough. Anything is likely better.

Back when I dual-booted with Windows, I installed fs-driver to fiddle with my Linux partition. For some reason, the driver decided that I had to use it to mount and unmount my external hard drive, which is still stock FAT. Long story short, no Windows computer can mount it if it doesn't also have the driver installed. Linux manages it just fine.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 08:51:26 am »

Anyone know how I can run a command with root permissions without giving a password (eg, in a script)? I hear it has to do with sudo or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7