Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant pet defensive turret  (Read 1106 times)

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant pet defensive turret
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:13:04 am »

Well I tried on a bit of modding, cause I wanted to make a cheap way of web spitting creatures, so I came up on the idea of a unmoveable plant, with swords instead of arms, that also spit webs.

So these are the raws for that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, but now I have some problems.
The plants shoot webs fine, attack with their sword arms just fine, but I don't know how to increase the strength of those sword arms, a plant with swords made of steal should be pretty cool.
Also, they can move.
I don't want that :(
I tested everything with the [IMMOBILE_LAND] tag, but without [AQUATIC] it still moves and also drows on land, but [NOBREATHE] makes it moveable again.

Any ideas :(

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Plant pet defensive turret
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:11:31 am »

I'm pretty sure you can't currently create stationary creatures (my own attempts have led nowhere at least).
As for the attack you can try the following: Adding
      [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:200]
to the attack, and/ or adding

[TISSUE:STEEL]
      [TISSUE_NAME:steel:steel]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
      [MUSCULAR]
      [FUNCTIONAL]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]
      [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:STEEL]

to the material definition. The latter is untested, the former is tested.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:26:01 am »

Thank you for the tissue layer :D

I also modified
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:200]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:1000]

to the short sword points.

Now they show to be really effective against goblins in iron armor (without weapons for now), killing one in two blows (if you don't count the webbing which occured after the goblin rushed at the vicious plant thing).

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:25 am »

Maybe you could try to make it almost stationary by using ridiculously high [SPEED:x] tags, meaning it would move very slow. Now imagine a web-spitting plant-like creature with steel sword leaves, slowly pulling its roots out of the earth and crawling towards its helpless victim...
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:41 am »

Maybe you could try to make it almost stationary by using ridiculously high [SPEED:x] tags, meaning it would move very slow. Now imagine a web-spitting plant-like creature with steel sword leaves, slowly pulling its roots out of the earth and crawling towards its helpless victim...

^ this.  Now I'm tempted to mod in a tameable plant creature just for this.
Cage traps are my magma.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:37:02 am »

If you don't want it to move anyway can't you just restrain it? It essentially amounts to the same thing the creature could only move in a 3x3 box (well 3x3x3 cube if you want to be pedantic).
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:41:51 am »

Then it would also attack very slowly.
But actually, that is exactly that what it is now, a plant like creature (with its own plant muscles ;) ) with steel sword arm things, that first spits webs at its enemy and then procedes to slowly move towards it with its nine root feet things :D

For now it also either slices or stabs with its sword thingies.
I have let it fought against three unarmed/unarmored trolls, and I am sure it WILL eventually win this battle, but it only pushes when its sword things are broken.

Also, here are the raws:
creature_special:

body_special

tissue_template_special

material_template_special

The vicious Webber was once a carnivore plant, but then domesticated by the dwarves to use it as a vicious fortress guard, to reduce the amount of work for the dwarves themselves.
In a fight, the Webber will shoot webs at its enemies, and then proceeds to slice and stab them into tiny bits.
It has a a petvalue of 350, slightly more then the average cow, costing at embark 176 points, which is maybe not enough.
It also catches fire when other creatures start to melt, so better keep them away from your lava, or just your booze when you are evil.

If you don't want it to move anyway can't you just restrain it? It essentially amounts to the same thing the creature could only move in a 3x3 box (well 3x3x3 cube if you want to be pedantic).
Yeah, but that wouldn't be the same as an immoveable plant with steel sharp sword claws that spits webs at you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:47:26 am by niggy »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:24:41 pm »

Well it would be the same, sans the immoveable part. Instead it is restricted movement lol.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:49:54 pm »

If ya' don't wanna read that, skip to the summary.

Please, Please, Please, Please, PLEASE, get this working so that i may use it, and, an idea: do some super-modding, and make it so that you can order them to take root (by where it says ready for slaughter), and you can make it come out/go into the ground incase you manage to seal up a wall, and no longer need them there, or need to move 'em.

SUMMARY: Try to add an option on whether or not to have them rooted to the ground, and please hurry up :D

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »

I found a better way to go about this. What I did was take the magma crab creature(the one that spits molten balls of rock) and made it a pet. Added claws to it and changed the molten balls of rock into iron, chained it outside my fort and BAM. Any goblin that gets close gets spit at. If it gets close the iron-crab latches with its claws and starts melting the goblin.