Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guess what I've just noticed  (Read 1975 times)

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guess what I've just noticed
« on: April 05, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
Re: Guess what I've just noticed
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

It's a sign I tells ya, a sign....
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

silentnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

"Begone ye spawn of Satan!!!" *pulls out a silver cross and holds it out in a measly attempt to ward off evil* "Ow ow ow ow ow" *drops cross and tenderly holds burnt hand* "...was that supposed to happen?"   :(

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:02:00 am »

I have to say in my defense:

LOL!

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:41:00 am »

Where is the cheesy horror music when you need it ; )
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

I've never quite understood what the whole significance of the "let it be known that the demon's number is 666" was.  I think the apostles just chose what they figured was a higher number than anyone could count to. =P
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>I've never quite understood what the whole significance of the "let it be known that the demon's number is 666" was.  I think the apostles just chose what they figured was a higher number than anyone could count to. =P</STRONG>

Then there are the references to Nero and the roman empire.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:40:00 am »

Rev 13: 17-18
  "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
  Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

My favorite explanation is that it's a reference to the guard bars in UPC codes.

If you look at the UPC code on anything you buy, you'll see a pair of thin lines in the middle and on either side. These lines correspond to a "6" in the code, when that six appears on the right side of the code. Since codes may be read in either direction, they designed left and right differently. A 6 to the left of the middle looks different than a 6 to the right of the middle. But, that matches the mark that appears on the "right" hand. The way a scanner reads the code, there is extra "white space" necessary to construct a six, but if you visually look at it, you wouldn't notice the difference. Also interesting is the name of the original creator of the system, George Joseph Laurer: His first, middle and last names all have six letters in them.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

The number 666 is a reference to Nero, and they have the translation errors to prove it.

No additional speculation is needed.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

What...don't you smooth the walls of your barracks? That's not necessary either. :P

Five minutes on google suggests that the translation error you're referring to is a copy that turned up showing the number 616 instead of 666, and that the connection to Nero is primarily a Catholic view, and it's done by transliterating "Nero Caesar" into Hebrew, and ignoring one of the Jewish numerology rules.

Or are you referring to something else?

(I think my version was more synchronous. Certainly more entertaining. :P )

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

"The beast" doesn't refer to Lucifer, but to Baphomet, the beast of the Apocalypse.
666 is not the number of Lucifer.
And "Satan" is a rank in angel's hierarchy, by the way.

[ April 17, 2007: Message edited by: Narushima ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

Wow.  Way more information than I was concerned about, being a heathen atheist, but thanks anyway. ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

I doubt you would be much of an atheist after i've eaten your soul!   :mad:

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

What soul? =P

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

I got soul! I'm goin' dancin! EAT THIS!   :D
Pages: [1] 2