Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What needless complex "Thing" do you no longer need sinch 0.31 came out?  (Read 3281 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

See, I always had a method to training my recruits back in the day. I always gave them armor and weapons, good armor, crappy weapons. Then I would drop them down a hatch into a large, masterfully engraved barracks area, filled with water to the point where they COULD walk about without drowning, but still gained swimming skill. Food and booze were dropped in occasionally and beds had already been built (though can't remember if they ever actually USED them o.O;)

The only way out was a water elevator, the only way in was the trap door.

Once a recruit was sufficiently well trained that he could survive sparring with the proper military, he'd leave the boot camp by pulling a lever in the water elevator. His swimming skill by this point would be high enough that he wouldn't drown as water poured into the chamber (which had locked the door behind itself) and would lift him out of the room back to proper dwarvish land. The water was then either released into a bottomless pit or chasm is one was present on the map, or was pumped back to the surface.

Fail safes were in place, of the "set two levers only allowed to be pulled by the recruit in question" the one at the bottom would activate the elevator and lock down the other room so it wouldn't be flooded.

The one at the top emptied the elevator. The primary control room would have a third that would reopen the door once a new recruit was ready to be let out into the world.

All of this was meant to cause unnecessary deaths from "Legendary Axe Dwarf versus Recruit" sparring incidents. A by product of it was that my recruits gained legendary stats from CONSTANTLY SWIMMING ALL THE TIME

Burrows and the new system for military training have removed the need for this hideously complicated (but awesome) boot camp I used to make for my fortresses.

What did YOU make back in the days before 0.31 that you no longer have to make?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What needless complex "Thing" do you no longer need sinch 0.31 came out?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »

I used to have to edit the raws so my dwarves could experience diseases like brain rot.
Those forts and reclaims didn't last very long.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:52 pm »

I started playing in 31.12, but since 31.16 came out I've still been locking my nobles in their room so that other dwarves don't sleep in their bed and cause them to sleep in the dormitory and get a bad thought.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:21:35 pm »

It's not complex, but building pillars every 7 tiles so as not to get a cavein, at the time that seemed like a lot of work haha!

Took me a long time to discover that caveins haven't occured since we got a Z-axis... -_-
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »

It's not complex, but building pillars every 7 tiles so as not to get a cavein, at the time that seemed like a lot of work haha!

Took me a long time to discover that caveins haven't occured since we got a Z-axis... -_-

We still get caveins. They're just more lenient about what caues them.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:26:21 am »

Lenient???

Case to Point: Cave-In collapses the floors below it, in a cascade, which can mean 1) dropping down onto your booze stockpile, where your dorfs are slumming, 2) Collapsing further down to your sleeping area, where some dorfs are sleeping 3) finally stops on the first cavern layer, where you walled off that FB.

Not More Lenient. More Fun.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:56:40 am »

Yes, more lenient. They don't happen just because you forgot to leave a pillar on every 8th square.
くコ:彡

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 04:52:55 am »

I used to build my barracks with a room for steel weapons and a room for silver weapons.  To switch between them you had to disallow weapons, dump the ones they were holding, lock them in the correct room and reassign weapons.

Also, I used to set up a whole plumbing system to drain water from a stream, through my dining hall as a waterfall and down into a chasm, now I just set up one of those quantum mist generators. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 06:52:01 am »

Yes, more lenient. They don't happen just because you forgot to leave a pillar on every 8th square.

I can't wait til Toady re-implements fairly realistic caveins.
ALOT of DF players' fortresses will collapse :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:55:41 am »

I told everyone to stay inside and shoot bolts at invaders.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:01:43 am »

I can't wait til Toady re-implements fairly realistic caveins.
ALOT of DF players' fortresses will collapse :)

In fortress talk 8 or 9 or something he mentioned he didn't want to reimplement caveins because it's too hard to express to the player when it's going to collapse, he also raised things like buildings toppling sideways cause of weight... I guess if he's gonna do it he wants to do it right...

I personally don't care about buildings toppling, I wouldn't mind things just falling straight down if they didn't have enough support.  But I guess it does take away some of the fantastical nature of the game if you can't build these impossible structures...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:38:42 am »

Let's not forget about realistic ultra-deep mining passages.  Once you get down very deep the mining passages are barely big enough to move through and have supports everywhere for a reason.  Even tiny tunnels have to be braced up to prevent collapse and there's so much weight on the stone that its not unheard of for the walls to actually crack with enough force to send rock splinters flying into nearby miners like grenade shrapnel.
Cage traps are my magma.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 12:07:38 pm »

If cave-ins are reimplemented, I'm going to laugh when all the caverns immediately collapse on embark.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »

Let's not forget about realistic ultra-deep mining passages.  Once you get down very deep the mining passages are barely big enough to move through and have supports everywhere for a reason.  Even tiny tunnels have to be braced up to prevent collapse and there's so much weight on the stone that its not unheard of for the walls to actually crack with enough force to send rock splinters flying into nearby miners like grenade shrapnel.

Dwarven miners are skilled enough to defy the laws of weight and physics.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:49 pm »

If cave-ins are reimplemented, I'm going to laugh when all the caverns immediately collapse on embark.

^^ This ^^

The needless and complex thing I no longer need is simple: low-cost housing.  I used to put years of effort into making low/no quality furniture for roughly 200 unsmoothed low-quality bedrooms, so that I would have enough low-cost housing for a 250-dwarf community once the economy activated.  Now that 31.x is out, not only does the economy not work, but I can no longer operate even a 2x2 fort with more than 20 dwarfs before my FPS drops into the single digits.
Pages: [1] 2