Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worldgen get rid of certain nasty features (massive oceans and mountains)  (Read 1206 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey ... im not so nooby anymore .. and try to build up a more likeable map for me .. with lots of volcanos enouigh streams etc .

but whatever i do i allways end up with massive oceans and mountainranges that eat up allmost 2/3 of all volcanos...

changing the minimum tiles and elevation /drainage parameters dont work out ...

can anyone give me a hint how to minimize the ocean/mountain apperances so i get maybe few mountains (max 1/5th of map and no big spaceeating oceans no more?

thanks in advance

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could decrease the minimum ocean and mountain tiles in worldgen, but also set the elevation ratios to favor middle range elevation.  I think very high and very low elevations automatically become oceans and mountains.  You could also increase the minimum ocean/mountain regions, to get regions that are smaller but more numerous. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile

Be careful trying to get rid of mountains though as dwarves and gobos spawn in them, so if you reduce them too much you might lose either race.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

not trying to rid them totally but its ridiculous that oceans and mountains each eat up up to 2/5th of the map :) and get allmost all volcanos ^^ ..

and by that i mean the totally unembarkable/unaccessible parts

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can try generating elevation and volcanism maps in PerfectWorld (search on this forum), than adding a few worldgen tags that were introduced in later versions. That way your volcanoes may form in any region and any quantity you want them. There are ways to manually tweak worldgen parameters to a similar effect but not as straightforward.

Original problem was generating embark sites with a volcano on a tropical ocean beach with sand, flux and sedimentary layers.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile

but also set the elevation ratios to favor middle range elevation.
Don't.
Increase elevation x-variance and y-variance instead.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually put the variations to max to get lots of smaller areas and artificially add the volcano number to be 8192 or something.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey ... im not so nooby anymore .. and try to build up a more likeable map for me .. with lots of volcanos enouigh streams etc .

but whatever i do i allways end up with massive oceans and mountainranges that eat up allmost 2/3 of all volcanos...

changing the minimum tiles and elevation /drainage parameters dont work out ...

can anyone give me a hint how to minimize the ocean/mountain apperances so i get maybe few mountains (max 1/5th of map and no big spaceeating oceans no more?

thanks in advance
This is rather a double post, but here goes anyway:
I dunno if this is your kinda thing, but here's one worldgen that might have what you're looking for too:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3312

This map is unembarked worldgen in .31.16 stopped at end-year 50, with maxed out numbers for titans, megabeasts and semimegabeast numbers, all races are alive and neighbor the said embark area. It comes with 8192 volcanoes, 800 start and 400 rivers to world finish. It has at least one 4x4 embark site with a terrifying volcano area and joyous major river in it, also tropical area with lots of wood. Elephants and alligators confirmed on test embark with feather trees.

The said Terrifying and Joyous embark can be found from the lowest left "World location" screen at coordinates 5 to the right and 3 to the up. at a double side by side volcano lieing on a major river, double blue line, happening to be on a border of Terrifying, Untamed Wilds and Joyous Wilds area. The embark could be made into 2x4 embark, still retaining both areas, the river and the volcano.

This is a rather specific world and area that I had been looking for a long time so I thought I'd share. Right lowerside of the 4x4 is Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest and Joyous Wilds, left side Terrifying Tropical Freshwater Swamp. Temperature is Hot and did not spot any flux or gabbro yet, but I'm not picky about stones anymore myself.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a 31.12 compatible world_gen setup that I use.  It's awesome in that the mountains are very spread out and there are rivers literally everywhere.  Lots of natural waterfalls as well as the rivers flow into each other.

I have not upgraded past 31.12 (Stonesense user here), but I can't imagine it to be too difficult to make it work in 31.16

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i thank you for the examples .. i will analyse the settings .. but the issue was to find general settings to minimize oceans and mountainranges :)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen get rid of certain nasty features (massive oceans and mountains)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:54 pm »

Would you like me to show you an example world made with my settings?  You'll see there's very few, if any, HUGE mountain areas.  There are almost never oceans that I've seen.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 02:25:39 pm »

hit me with that  .. i fumbled abit and could make it a bit better by playing with variances but oceans still are too large :)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:39:07 pm »

Here ya go.  Tons of rivers everywhere :)  I usually find a lot of sites that I want to embark on, so I drop notes all over the map as I explore it, then go back through and decide on one.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »

looks nice gonna try itt out after my current game runs down the drain^^

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »

Here ya go.  Tons of rivers everywhere :)  I usually find a lot of sites that I want to embark on, so I drop notes all over the map as I explore it, then go back through and decide on one.

tested it and its great .. just had to tweak few numbers^^ thank you dude^^
Pages: [1] 2