Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ro, Sham, BOOOM! Mafia - Signups [3/15]  (Read 2755 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Ro, Sham, BOOOM! Mafia - Signups [3/15]
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »

The timeless war between two human tools and one natural conglomeration rages on, and in a new twist it will finally come to a rest.

The Godfathers of these mighty forces have come forward, and will duke it out amongst the city streets.

And the town is none too happy about it.

The Rules:
No PMs.
No editing posts.
No quoting the mod, or his PMs.
Always play to win. Or for your team's win.
No hammering.
Days are 72 hours, Nights are 24 hours, weekends don't count as hours(In other words, I don't update on weekends, so if Friday starts the Night, it's likely that Saturday and Sunday will be Night as well.)
Lynching votes and unvotes in red. Key to the City votes and unvotes in limegreen.

Game Roles:
ROCK
One(1) Rock Godfather: (Passive) While alive, other Rock Team members cannot be night-killed.
One(1) Meat Shield: (Active, Target) Protect - Can choose one person to protect. If that person is lynched or night-killed, the Meat Shield dies instead. You may change your target as many times and whenever you'd like.
One(1) Bruiser: (Night, Target) ?? - ??; if name is ever to be revealed by this action, it will be obscured, and you will be notified.

PAPER
One(1) Paper Godfather: (Passive) While alive, all Paper Team members will be revealed as town.
One(1) Meat Shield: (Active, Target) Protect - Can choose one person to protect. If that person is lynched or night-killed, the Meat Shield dies instead. You may change your target as many times and whenever you'd like.
One(1) Bruiser: (Night, Target) ?? - ??; if the target was to be killed in the night, it will be killed in the morning instead.

SCISSORS
One(1) Scissors Godfather: (Passive) Whenever this character is targeted, the targeter's name and team is revealed.
One(1) Bruiser: (Night, Target) ?? - ??; if the target would reveal as the wrong team, you will be notified. You will not be told their true alignment.

((NOTE: A little information on the ?? abilities. All three ??s will have the same effect, except for what follows after the semicolon. However, that effect will be left up to the user to decipher. Expect it to be difficult, but extremely useful.))

TOWN

One(1) Parasomniac: (Passive) Has a chance to kill one member of the mafia team he is night-killed by.
One(1) Amnesiac Cop: (Passive) Every night that this character is alive, an investigation is made on a random player, and the result is given to a random townie.
One(1) Confused Amnesiac Cop: (Passive) Every Night that this character is alive, an investigation is made on a random player, and the result is given to a random player.
One(1) Priest: (Passive) Upon death, the priest can choose one player to be revived. You may only target yourself with this once.

((NOTE: None of the townies know what role they have, with the exception of the following))

Two(2) Doctors: (Night, Target): Prevent a night-kill on the target.

One last thing:
Every morning(first 24 hours of day), everyone votes on who gets the Key to the City. When the Key to the City is in possession, their lynch vote counts for two.

P.S.
I like Mafia games, but I don't think I have the gumption to actually be in many. Plus, I suck at them. Instead, I shall observe from atop my unshapely mod throne.

Also, if you see anything too imbalanced about the roles, let me know and I'll get them fixed.

Playerlist:
  • Zathras
  • Ottofar
  • Toaster
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:18:22 am by Tylui »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Ro, Sham, BOOOM! Mafia - Signups [0/15]
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

Posting to watch, but not to join.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:52:35 pm »

This looks like an interesting and novel setup... some questions:

- Each scum faction knows who the others are and share a chat, yes? Rock-chat and so on, and know their pals?
- It's not specified, but I assume each group also gets a night kill, yes? So... up to three or four corpses every morning. Bloody! I like it.
- Some emphasis is made about dying at night vs. morning, and how protect-target can be changed dynamically... makes me guess that either the "??-??" or something else are day kills... Bloodier! Good!

But know: it's considered a courtesy to post in the discussion group before opening a new game, to avoid having too many at the same time, or "cutting in", as some other people may have been standing in line to open their own games. So just jumping in unannounced with your game may be considered "not cool" by some.

That said, a) I think this game is horribly anti-town; maybe just break them into two more factions ("lizard" & "spock"?) or something, and have a faction-fight rumble. There's no way town is winning this one... and b) I'm in. 8-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:57:58 pm by Zathras »
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »

With the forum as it is, I doubt you'll be getting 15 players.

And we would prefer if you consult the threshold discussion before you put a game in signups.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »

And we would prefer if you consult the threshold discussion before you put a game in signups.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »

This looks like an interesting and novel setup... some questions:

- Each scum faction knows who the others are and share a chat, yes? Rock-chat and so on, and know their pals?
Correct! Rock-chat, Paper-chat Scissors-chat!

- It's not specified, but I assume each group also gets a night kill, yes? So... up to three or four corpses every morning. Bloody! I like it.
Yeah, each mafia team gets their own night-kill.

- Some emphasis is made about dying at night vs. morning, and how protect-target can be changed dynamically... makes me guess that either the "??-??" or something else are day kills... Bloodier! Good!
Well the protect-target works for that day or night, which includes lynches for the Meat Shields. And if you notice, the Rock team members can't be night-killed. So the Paper team can "morning" kill instead of night kill, avoiding that. Functionally, it would work exactly the same as a night kill, even being declared at night time, it just triggers at day time as a workaround to the Rock team's defense.

But know: it's considered a courtesy to post in the discussion group before opening a new game, to avoid having too many at the same time, or "cutting in", as some other people may have been standing in line to open their own games. So just jumping in unannounced with your game may be considered "not cool" by some.

Oopsies. I didn't know this. :( I'll lock the thread for now and post in that one until an appropriate time.

That said, a) I think this game is horribly anti-town; maybe just break them into two more factions ("lizard" & "spock"?) or something, and have a faction-fight rumble. There's no way town is winning this one... and b) I'm in. 8-)
You don't think the town could win? To me it seems like the mafias will all be fighting amongst themselves, since they're more or less specialized to do so. PM me with any ideas to make it betterrrr.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:35 am »

Seems interesting.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:24:16 am »

I'll give this one a shot.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Ro, Sham, BOOOM! Mafia - Signups [3/15]
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 11:48:45 am »

So, here's a couple of problems: one, the Town is probably goners. With no lynch control or kill sources, they might as well not be in. Now, if they're not in, it's a WIFOM battle.
Two, make the different teams more unique. Make Scissors immune to Paper, and Rock plow through Scissors abilities. You know, like RPS. This will make the WIFOM battle more intense.

Plus, to make it more interesting, have players vote for a team to get something (or not) in the thread. Interesting, eh? No lynches, because something will go wrong.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:04:16 am »

I'm just gonna leave this here. Once I have more players willing to be players, I'll balance it a little better. :)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »

Dude, it works the other way around: first you balance your game, then you find people to play it.

Otherwise you are asking people to sign up for stuff that is not even well defined and will change before (or worse, during!) the game. Plus part of your balance issues is the large number of players it requires. If there aren't enough players, then you don't rebalance, then there aren't enough players...

I like your idea, but it needs some work before it's viable. I look forward to play it after it gets said work.

Out.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.