Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11026 11027 [11028] 11029 11030 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14408677 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165405 on: August 23, 2024, 12:50:19 pm »

Why do you assume he means it in the worst possible interpretation of the phrase, rather than him saying folk with serious allergies are taking a great risk by consuming food they didn’t prepare themselves?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165406 on: August 23, 2024, 01:05:32 pm »

There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes.

One has to be agressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But that 100% checks out. It won't happen to me, my little bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the broader public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
let

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165407 on: August 23, 2024, 01:59:15 pm »

To be fair, RPL has a point. The only way you could see 100% of the food production process is if you were there from the moment it was harvested, to the point it was consumed. Which is not realistic for someone living in modern society. It would mean they would have to grow and prepare their own food, which would take basically all of their time.

If you want to be anything but a subsitance farmer, you have to trust somebody.

I will add that the observation gets less relevant the more different is your allergen from what you ordered.
Having bits of shellfish in fish fingers is unlikely but plausible. Having some grains of wheat flour in maize bread is possible. But having shellfish in bread is almost impossible.

So as a combination, you should gauge how much you trust the provider and the food type together. If you are deathly allergic to milk, you can probably still trust a raw orange, even if you don't know who picked it. It's not like they would inject some milk into it just for fun. But you would only trust a hamburger prepared by a family member or a friend (or yourself).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165408 on: August 23, 2024, 02:59:16 pm »

... Dude. Did you actually just say people who have severe food allergies should never eat any food they didn't see personally prepared?
There are several things I don't eat, including meat. You don't know how many times I've been accidentally served the wrong food, by very respectable restaurants which were not negligent, took my concerns seriously, and were very apologetic about the mistake. Mistakes are incredibly easy to make all the time. If you're someone burdened with the unfortunate reality that you could die if someone makes an extremely minor, unpreventable mistake of the kind that absolutely will happen sooner or later, then it would strike me as insane if you did not take extremely serious precautions against it. We live in a world where not everyone can safely have certain experiences and we have to accept that.

This doesn't mean that restaurants should be cavalier about everything, it just means that, when other people have behaved reasonably, every individual has to choose what level of risk he will accept, and make peace with that.

So as a combination, you should gauge how much you trust the provider and the food type together. If you are deathly allergic to milk, you can probably still trust a raw orange, even if you don't know who picked it. It's not like they would inject some milk into it just for fun. But you would only trust a hamburger prepared by a family member or a friend (or yourself).
Do people put milk in hamburgers? But apart from the specific example seeming weird, yeah, that's it exactly. It's as simple as that.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165409 on: August 23, 2024, 03:17:43 pm »

Do people put milk in hamburgers? But apart from the specific example seeming weird, yeah, that's it exactly. It's as simple as that.

If a place makes both hamburgers and cheeseburgers, some cheese could make it into the hamburger.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165410 on: August 23, 2024, 03:22:25 pm »

If a place makes both hamburgers and cheeseburgers, some cheese could make it into the hamburger.
Ohh, I see what you mean, yes. I thought you were talking about the actual meat patty itself.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165411 on: August 23, 2024, 03:57:53 pm »

There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes.

One has to be agressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But that 100% checks out. It won't happen to me, my little bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the broader public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Hrrm... can I sig this truth?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165412 on: August 23, 2024, 04:00:23 pm »

I couldn't stop you from it.
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165413 on: August 23, 2024, 04:16:20 pm »

That is a puff of smoke, not an answer...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165414 on: August 23, 2024, 04:22:15 pm »

Don't you know? You must bless the sigging, else the curse of the appropriated sig befalls the sigger. It's a horrible affliction, causing one to yell the sigged bit every time they climax.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165415 on: August 23, 2024, 04:22:21 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165416 on: August 23, 2024, 04:43:48 pm »

What, I do believe more that -> I don't have any influence over what you quote -> than that you'd actually want to quote that.

So I stuck to my fatalism that I elaborated in said quote. At least it's convolutely principled even if it's hard to assign it any more positive traits.

edit: if you actually care to know... it takes about a night of sleep for me to start not appreciating my former thoughts... but that's like a me problem, y'know?!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 04:49:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165417 on: August 23, 2024, 05:40:31 pm »

Why do you assume he means it in the worst possible interpretation of the phrase, rather than him saying folk with serious allergies are taking a great risk by consuming food they didn’t prepare themselves?

Gee I don't know when I assumed anything, but you assumed I did. I didn't. I asked a question and you assumed I assumed "the worst possible interpretation." I don't know why you assumed that, or why you assumed anything one way or the other but perhaps your assumption (not mine you attributed to me), has something to do with this next quoted part.... I'm not sure, I didn't make any assumptions. I asked some questions because I thought I might not have understood what he said. I didn't assume "the worst possible interpretation" of what he said and that is entirely unsupported. I thought he might have said something and I asked what he said because I didn't get it.

While you're putting words in my mouth, is there some good food to put in it too? Since you're back there? Something tasty? I'll assume you agree with me entirely since we're now assuming. No need to respond or question, because if you question, which is all I did, you might me assumed to have assumed "the worst possible interpretation" of what I said....

Point made.... Perhaps consider not making such assumptions. Either way....

... Dude. Did you actually just say people who have severe food allergies should never eat any food they didn't see personally prepared?
There are several things I don't eat, including meat. You don't know how many times I've been accidentally served the wrong food, by very respectable restaurants which were not negligent, took my concerns seriously, and were very apologetic about the mistake. Mistakes are incredibly easy to make all the time. If you're someone burdened with the unfortunate reality that you could die if someone makes an extremely minor, unpreventable mistake of the kind that absolutely will happen sooner or later, then it would strike me as insane if you did not take extremely serious precautions against it. We live in a world where not everyone can safely have certain experiences and we have to accept that.

This doesn't mean that restaurants should be cavalier about everything, it just means that, when other people have behaved reasonably, every individual has to choose what level of risk he will accept, and make peace with that.

We don't have to accept anything like that at all. Neither one of us can force anything, so no we don't "have to." I don't want people dying or getting sick. That's not unreasonable, especially when they don't have to.

We live in a society. That society can and should impose a duty on food service to take every step to prevent somebody dying or just even getting sick and prove they did things right. That's a good thing. If the food service whatever can't meet widespread standards, then they can be shut down to make room for somebody else who can. They do not deserve to exist as a business, period. There have been way too many examples of food service places not caring and making people sick/failing to meet health codes. There's a reason health departments do inspections, and people don't want food poisoning, (People really don't want it if it kills them but even if it just makes them sick that sucks), because cleaning the place costs money and effort the owner doesn't feel like investing. Same for being careful with how they do things the way they should. Even recalls on food products are there because things need to be done right. Same goes for a long history with food processing plants. If there is no enforcement, then  things won't be done right. It just has happened way too much to be anything else.

This is preventable not unpreventable. There is an obligation to prevent it. That obligation is pretty standard in food service. The mistake is major. It is a person dying, which I think is not getting nearly enough weight here. No a person is not "insane" or at fault in any way if they took reasonable steps to avoid being served something they didn't order, especially if it sickens or kills them. Anyone who starts any food business knows allergies are a thing they have to watch out for and if that person pretends they aren't or just doesn't care, then they are asking for trouble for their business. Also, it's reasonable not to want people hurt, sickened or killed.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 05:42:18 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165418 on: August 23, 2024, 05:50:10 pm »

Man, there's no point in engaging with them. You are being baited. Don't fall for it. There's a reason I block and ignore Max. I only saw what he wrote when it was quoted.
It's just not worth it. You are not going to change minds. All that is gonna happen is things are going to get out of hand again.

It is pretty cold to blame people for their allergies and restaurants serving them things they are allergic to when they croak from it.
I get it. I have family with allergies and if some stupid place killed them by serving them what they were allergic to, then I'd be pissed.
Nothing you say here is gonna change someone's mind if they are dead set on something.

Every time I post a story or bring something up....
"Hey isn't it sad some company will try to keep you from suing when they kill you over B.S. terms and conditions from a trial subscription years ago? Isn't it awful this person died and that happened to them?  Be careful everyone." Response basically: People with allergies like that are insane if .... :( O well. Welcome to the internet....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 05:56:34 pm by femmelf »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165419 on: August 23, 2024, 06:03:39 pm »

We live in a society. That society can and should impose a duty on food service to take every step to prevent somebody dying or just even getting sick and prove they did things right. That's a good thing. If the food service whatever can't meet widespread standards, then they can be shut down to make room for somebody else who can. They do not deserve to exist as a business, period.
If this were actually enforced literally, as in, "every step", there would be no food service at all.

I don't even get what the problem is here. Restaurants do a very good job overall, nobody's saying they should do less. I'm just saying to be aware that things still slip through sometimes, and you're... what, saying, "no, don't be aware, that's bad"?
Pages: 1 ... 11026 11027 [11028] 11029 11030 ... 11038