Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11021 11022 [11023] 11024 11025 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14414813 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165330 on: August 13, 2024, 03:37:12 am »

Woke up to a dog barking bloody murder - or rather, she did when I opened my bedroom door. My sister moved in last night while I was asleep. I forgot she brought her dog with her. I don't know how that didn't wake me up when they came in. I mean, they did wake me up, but I never heard the dog.

At least it wasn't too hard to calm her(the dog) down.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #165331 on: August 13, 2024, 04:33:13 am »

Doing a crossword because I'm an adult. I did super shit on it, partly because today's was based on a lot of American stuff so I didn't know it as a Brit, and some because the answers were absolute bollocks.

[blank] to go. Five letters, so it can't be raring. Except it was, but it was rarin. If we're going to start allowing people to take letters off the end of -ing words then crosswords become a lot more difficult and stupid.

Another was "Some drink trolleys". Five letters again, no idea, it's a clue word so it's actually 8 letters, starting with car. Answer is teats. The fuck is a carteat? Or is it a cart eat? Or carte at? All of the reasonable answers make no sense to me, and looking it up online has just lead Google to throw its hands up in confusion too.

Yeah, while the common American pronunciation of "Raring" will often drop the g, it's always been correct to note this with an apostrophe...

As for carteat, I have no idea... Unless you've got some sort of bizarre scramble-crossword and it's just a jumble of "Teacart(s)" or something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165332 on: August 13, 2024, 04:14:56 pm »

Found out a friends tv series picture book existed today at work.

Found out when I got home it's a five book series.

It's... one of the most confused children's publications I've ever seen. They're children's books, started publishing in 2021, using the characters from friends, the TV series that finished airing in 2004.

Just. Who were these made for? Y'know? It'd make more sense if they were produced a couple decades ago when people knew friends as something other than memories and reruns, but. No. Most recent one published last year. Weird stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165333 on: August 13, 2024, 04:29:02 pm »

My friends' 13 year old loves the show. There's gotta be many more like her. The parents watch reruns out of nostalgia on Netflix or wherever, and the kids get hooked up as well.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #165334 on: August 13, 2024, 06:07:16 pm »

Plus, parents tend to read picture books to kids. Makes more sense to make it something a parent will pick up.

It's a decent idea, actually.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #165335 on: August 13, 2024, 06:08:46 pm »

Yeah I bought my kid books I liked when I was a kid.

Indeed, some of the books we got from friends and family were books either they enjoyed or their kids enjoyed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165336 on: August 13, 2024, 06:27:08 pm »

My friends' 13 year old loves the show. There's gotta be many more like her. The parents watch reruns out of nostalgia on Netflix or wherever, and the kids get hooked up as well.
These things aren't aimed at 13 year olds, though, they're aimed at like... half that. Next step up from books with "apple" on one page and "red" on the next; there was complete sentences but they were around "See spot run" tier.

Tie-ins aren't super unusual, but it tends to be for shows that the relevant age group would actually watch, y'know? And also get published closer to the time it ran. This is closer to someone making a Rocky Horror board book for toddlers in 2024 or somethin', except... well, it's friends, so it's not nearly as interesting as that would be :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165337 on: August 13, 2024, 06:38:43 pm »

Well, you're free to be wtf'd by whatever strikes your fancy. I just don't find it all that odd myself.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #165338 on: August 13, 2024, 07:00:38 pm »

I'ma back up Palazzo on this, I was a teacher/tutor for a while, and middle school girls love friends.

Obviously they aren't the market for it, but the middle schoolers from 10 years ago who also liked friends totally are.
Still a bit bizare though yeah.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #165339 on: August 13, 2024, 07:06:33 pm »

One of the oddities of the streaming age is that, to a lot of the younger people today, a show from twenty or more years ago isn't that much different from one that ended last year. If it isn't Brand New, it is just another item in the streaming list.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165340 on: August 13, 2024, 08:53:20 pm »

Well, you're free to be wtf'd by whatever strikes your fancy. I just don't find it all that odd myself.
I'm pretty sure it's mostly because I work at a library? It's genuinely, like... pretty unusual to see kid targeted material like this to begin with, and especially at so long a delay.

Kid's books being produced in relation to an adult/general audience sitcom series from the 90s/early 00s happens, apparently, but it doesn't exactly happen often -- and by not often, I mean I've been working in a library's cataloging department for nearly a decade now and if this isn't the first time I've seen anything like it, it's my proverbial second nickle.

Movie/TV tie-ins in general do happen fairly regularly for the book market in question, but it's really rare it's for something like Friends.

... actually kinda' curious if there is anything else like it, now. Quick lookabout shows there are some others out there (mostly seeming to come out of the same publisher; the author of the friends things did one for seinfield and gilmore girls, and they all seem to have been published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, but there's a very small smattering of others), but it's definitely a micro-niche, ha.

Though they've apparently put out a small set of golden books of similar intent pretty recently, too. Someone's definitely trying to tap into a nostalgia vein in an odd way, heh. Going to be interesting to see if it catches particularly well, I guess. Maybe we will get a rocky horror picture book aimed at six year olds sometime in the next couple years...
Ask not!
Ask!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165341 on: August 14, 2024, 12:32:04 am »

I agree with you that that's an odd find. Also odd that a series of books based on a sitcom is only 5 books long. Heh heh.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165342 on: August 14, 2024, 04:52:52 pm »

little ad for the latest kungfu panda movie or... something

anyway, for some ungodly reason they went with a pair of bunnies doing violent nipple play to a panda

there are days i don't understand this world

on a kink site this would not phase me, but

this was a mainstream movie ad and there's a pair of smol rabbits gnawing on a panda's nips

why
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165343 on: August 14, 2024, 07:49:58 pm »

nipple twisting is absolutely kung fu panda hunor

its jack black lol.  the eternal child
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #165344 on: August 14, 2024, 08:07:20 pm »

Maybe theyre really leaning into the furry demographic this time
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 11021 11022 [11023] 11024 11025 ... 11038