Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13645193 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164970 on: June 22, 2024, 12:28:05 pm »

https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/

This appears to still be active, I used to mod the game a little, I might be convinced to redownload the game and see what changed.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164971 on: June 22, 2024, 02:24:57 pm »

Closest I've ever come to a lamp like that is one of the ones you have to clap at.

Also witnessed the aftermath of a gelding blow, at some point while I was dealing with the fencing stuff from when the horse from one group got in with some others, the asshole that got into the wrong field decided to ether kick or bite the other stallion's balls for some reason, and today I noticed that the testicles no longer seem to be there. You'd think the horse would react to this but so far he isn't acting any different.

Fuck I'm glad we've only got one gelding.
He's probably gotten over the initial shock pretty quickly and is just going to rest and recuperate as animals do, probably avoid anything that hurts. Our geldings behavior didn't change significantly, other than that he's disgusted by the mares advances whenever she's in heat.
He keeps tearing his legs open on shit though. Gotta put him in a padded stable
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164972 on: June 23, 2024, 06:37:48 pm »

Had a sudden and fleeting intensely profound sadness that we can't bring ancient organisms back to life. I'm not talking mammoths, I mean stuff like Cooksonia, trilobites, all that sort of thing. The stuff that stopped existing hundreds of millions of years ago and which will never re-emerge in even a similar capacity because it doesn't have the adaptations modern life has that puts it head-and-shoulders above its primitive origins.

It's more WTF than sad because it came out of fucking nowhere.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164973 on: June 23, 2024, 07:01:32 pm »

Hey, assuming we don't all die, if we don't figure it out at some point we'll probably at least puzzle out horrifying genetic engineering that gets us stuff in the same general shape.

Though hey, we still got horseshoe crabs and Bathynomus, they're not trilobites but they come pretty close! We even harvest the former for their precious, precious (like, 60k usd per gallon precious) blood :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164974 on: June 24, 2024, 06:45:12 am »

Harvesting ancient sea creatures for their noble blood might not be quite on the level of mermaid bone farming, but it's pretty close.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164975 on: June 24, 2024, 08:38:00 am »

Well, we do it for medical reasons. We aren't doing it to drink it or sell it for funsies.

Stuff clots if there's any pathogens, so it's used for testing stuff like vaccines.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164976 on: June 25, 2024, 03:33:55 am »

Man this weekend sure was fun, got bit by a snake bad enough it hurt to walk but not bad enough to go to the hospital, then I go over to the neighbors house I've been watching and find that the back window of a car there has been shattered by a massive tree branch.

Fuck I'm glad we've only got one gelding.
He's probably gotten over the initial shock pretty quickly and is just going to rest and recuperate as animals do, probably avoid anything that hurts. Our geldings behavior didn't change significantly, other than that he's disgusted by the mares advances whenever she's in heat.
He keeps tearing his legs open on shit though. Gotta put him in a padded stable
We didn't have any geldings until this happened, which is good when you think about it because it saves us the money we'd otherwise have to spend to get him gelded.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164977 on: June 25, 2024, 10:19:06 am »

I am going to assume you positively identified the snake as one that either doesn't have venom, or has weak enough venom to not be a threat to you.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164978 on: June 25, 2024, 02:43:48 pm »

Nah, just tough it out. It only kills you if you complain about the pain. /s
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164979 on: June 25, 2024, 03:52:14 pm »

When Chuck Norris gets bitten by a snake, the snake requires an immediate antidote.
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164980 on: June 25, 2024, 05:18:49 pm »

Playing some Vermintide 2 to collect sweet sweet frames (and loot too I guess), some level 11 Ironbreaker joins the Legend game and says he's "Kinda noob with this dwarf guy."

He was a little rough, but he got the spirit. The random Bounty Hunter and I chaperoned him through the level, full books and all, and he did a valiant effort to try and survive the end event on Convocation of Decay. He was a bit frustrated with dying there, but I told him it was all good and asked if he wanted some tips for the times ahead (tips like "If you jump into Legend with a level 11 character and limited game knowledge, you're gonna have a bad time"), and he said yes. I was gearing up to show him a few of the ropes once we got back to the keep.

"Broken connection"

...so this poor dude got trounced by the game, asked if he wanted some pointers on how to improve, and then was met with the silence of a disconnect. I do hope he doesn't lose heart, boyo was a good sport to play with

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164981 on: June 25, 2024, 08:45:14 pm »

Had a sudden and fleeting intensely profound sadness that we can't bring ancient organisms back to life. I'm not talking mammoths, I mean stuff like Cooksonia, trilobites, all that sort of thing. The stuff that stopped existing hundreds of millions of years ago and which will never re-emerge in even a similar capacity because it doesn't have the adaptations modern life has that puts it head-and-shoulders above its primitive origins.

It's more WTF than sad because it came out of fucking nowhere.
Dude, watch Jurassic Park. I'll make you feel better.  :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164982 on: June 26, 2024, 02:39:08 am »

To be fair, bringing really old organisms back would just be an inventive form of torture; they wouldn't be able to survive in today's modern conditions, any more than we would in theirs. Unmodified, at least.

Now, using advanced genetic engineering, we can concievably engineer modern organisms that resemble fossil remains. Technically, it wouldn't be the real thing, yeah, but we could still learn a lot about what behaviors are necessary for an organism of their physiology, such as constraints on what is possible for it. And have pet "trilobites"

I've sometimes fantasized about a form of time machine that basically permits viewing and observing the past. Like even though travel to the past is impossible, direct observation can still be done as though one were present. Nonsensical as it is, would be neat to stick a pinhole camera up against a tiny wormhole and peer into the ancient world.
I make Spellcrafts!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164983 on: June 26, 2024, 03:38:13 am »

More fun stuff happening here, discovered that the leak under the house was the sewer main line coming apart, already fixed it but man that was awful.

I am going to assume you positively identified the snake as one that either doesn't have venom, or has weak enough venom to not be a threat to you.
Nope, had no idea it was a snake that caused it until hours later, didn't really know what happened because when I searched the area I found nothing. Luckily I didn't get much venom as this is a snake that can put you in the hospital if you get enough of it, we found out about when one bit my mom a few years ago.

Nah, just tough it out. It only kills you if you complain about the pain. /s
Toughing it out is what I'm doing, no point in going to a hospital especially sense it was four or five hours later when it was realized I had been bitten by a snake.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164984 on: June 26, 2024, 03:54:59 am »

Yeah until you get compartimental syndrome and gangrene.

You really ought to be assessed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.