Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10975 10976 [10977] 10978 10979 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13507525 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164640 on: April 09, 2024, 10:39:21 am »

Sorry, random.

Confucius says: Man who stand on toilet is high on pot
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164641 on: April 09, 2024, 10:46:59 am »

Thank you ,maximum spin and lord shonus !
Here is another interesting one and I thought it might be even more confusing :
  timing tim ing

Another idiom

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164642 on: April 09, 2024, 12:47:05 pm »

Ahh, Archer and that one idiom episode
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164643 on: April 09, 2024, 10:55:42 pm »

There's days I can't help but side-eye children's books really hard. Case in point, Prince Albert's Birthday, a book about prince albert getting a beaver instead of a hat for his birthday (and ends with the royal butler probably going to look for prostitutes at a bowling alley).

The thing is, I'm not sure how intentional it is? But that, inadvertent or not, is wall to wall innuendo. "Prince Albert" is slang for, in the words of the departed Robin Williams, "A bolt through the cock" -- it's a style of genital piercing. Beaver's, well, obvious. Didn't actually sit down and read it when I got it in our system 'cause we're being pretty hellishly overworked at the moment and shit's even busier than usual for an understaffed cataloging department, but I did skim through a bit and, like. If it wasn't intentional I'd be pretty damn surprised because there bits I glanced at that were pretty obviously leaning into it.

And I've definitely noticed similar things, not exactly often but often enough to make it pretty damn likely some authors of children's books are pretty intentionally writing like that. I think I've even mentioned The Amazing Bone before, which on top of being a caldecott honor book is just absolutely skeevy as hell if you let yourself read basically anything into it. The tonal dissonance between a cute book about a fox after a literal bone and one about an aggressive sex pest/rapist stalking a victim is fierce.

S'just. On some level, I do appreciate it? But on the other level, like. Maybe the weird sex shit isn't ideal for writing in between the lines for stuff written for like four year olds, I'unno. It makes for conflicted feelings encountering it sometimes, ha, and from personal remembrance kids can start noticing that crap a lot earlier than folks seem to expect. Not saying don't write it, exactly, but... maybe like, at least don't market it for the chillun if you're going to be layering in very much adult junk, too? Something? It might make the joke more obvious but it'd also mean I get distracted wondering if I'm actually putting the thing in the right section of the library less often, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164644 on: April 10, 2024, 03:34:56 am »

Massive storm yesterday, so much damned lighting I unplugged my computer to keep it from getting trashed, combined with no internet I didn't log on yesterday because by the time the lightning stopped the power went out and stayed off for hours.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164645 on: April 10, 2024, 04:43:17 am »

Case in point

Top review:
Quote from: Gordon
I did not like this book because it is not interesting. It is not interesting because the story is short and it is nothing good at all.

4/5 Stars.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #164646 on: April 10, 2024, 05:10:24 am »

S'just. On some level, I do appreciate it?

"Appreciate it"? How, and why?
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #164647 on: April 10, 2024, 05:39:40 am »

Writing for the adults who have to read the story to their young 'uns perhaps?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164648 on: April 10, 2024, 08:28:28 am »

S'just. On some level, I do appreciate it?

"Appreciate it"? How, and why?
Wordplay is amusing and deniable innuendo is often the best innuendo? Most people dig writers being sly, from what I've noticed. It's easy to appreciate an in-joke even if the venue's kinda' sketchy.
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164649 on: April 10, 2024, 09:13:46 am »

We used to play a game in middle school to try and come up with any sentence which could not be interpreted with extreme innuendo.

Our assessment was that this is an impossible task.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164650 on: April 10, 2024, 08:18:08 pm »

My immediate supervisor told me we (he and I) are on the "shit list" of upper management and are never getting off it. This means we have the worst god damn projects as a team and a stupid coworker to prep them (badly) for us. I asked him what I did to get on the "shit list." He said it does not matter but basically we are under a microscope. There is no reason (that I am aware of) for this. Also the stupid co worker I covered for last time

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.msg8535675#msg8535675

has royally screwed us both over supervisor and I, by being insanely stupid. The only way we can dig our whole god damn team out of this ditch (grave) is to work like hell AND half ass it. I have both parts of that and so does supervisor. There is literally no other choice to meet the insanely inflexible deadlines. Supervisor has told me quality no longer matters except when it absolutely has to but most of the time screw it and get it off our plate no matter what. If we don't, we go in front of the firing squad for someone else's mistakes. Stupid coworker has also screwed himself, because supervisor is now on a mission to screw over stupid co worker by documenting stupid coworker's numerous mistakes so any disciplinary action sticks. Stupid coworker somehow has friends who stick up for him (I don't get it) and protect him. The production backlogs can't be faked though and neither can the tons of mistakes that have to be fixed. Also hiring freeze so they won't hire anyone to replace this person....

This means I am going to have to put in lots of extra hours and be forced to do slop work my boss hates (and he agrees we have no choice). No one else seems to care and they just rush through stuff to look good on paper.

I really was not prepared for this part of the race to the bottom of late stage capitalism.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164651 on: April 10, 2024, 08:40:11 pm »

You *always* have a choice (assuming you aren’t conscripted or a literal slave). Dust off that resume and find a new gig. Quit only after securing a new position.

The only way to combat enshittification is to actually take action. Maybe collectively if you can.

It’s terribly unfortunate that your boss’s bosses seem to he clueless. But if you keep letting them walk all over you, they will. It’s almost unheard of for corporate culture to change from the bottom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164652 on: April 11, 2024, 12:40:13 pm »

There doesn't seem to be any winning there. Any headway you make on the backlog will just create space for new, unreasonable deadlines by people above you who don't care about your lack of bandwidth. Even with a teammate who doesn't suck (and boy do I know how much extra time it takes just to document how much someone sucks) there's no real turnaround. If the people queueing work for you don't actually know what are reasonable time tables for your department, it will just be a conveyor belt of shit. Because that's what management divorced from the realities of the boots-on-the-ground situation looks like.

So I'd start looking for a job even while you grind away at this one. With no change to work toward, why should you be motivated? Why work harder when that just introduces more unreasonable demands? I had to fight for and am constantly a blocker for unreasonable things at my business. When they try to sign multiple high profile customers at once, I have to remind sales and management that we're still wrestling with the last sign ups needs, in addition to our daily/weekly/monthly volume of existing customers. So I basically have to say "if you don't give us more space for this, it will suck." And then it's on them to decide if they want us to represent that level of suck to a new customer, or build more padding into implementations so we have time to meet other commitments before we turn our full attention to something new.

I'm very glad I still work for a small company where my voice matters. After a certain level of separation between management and staff, those complaints often just go to the void to be forgotten or ignored. When my company hits that point, or if *I* hit that point with my department, it's time to be done and/or move on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164653 on: April 11, 2024, 08:48:12 pm »

Seem to have an extra blind spot in my left eye, a little below my centre of vision. Wanders back and forth a bit, so I don't know if I've just got an extra large floater or if something else is up with it.

Got an eye test booked for Saturday, so hopefully that'll clear it up. For all I know it's been there for months or years, my brain's very good at filtering it out unless I'm looking for it and blinking at something bright.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164654 on: April 12, 2024, 09:08:44 am »

Vampire Survivors has announced a collab DLC... with Konami.

And, like. That's weird enough on it's own (VS is incredibly heavily influenced by Castlevania, and them getting to work with the Konami folks is probably something approaching a homage focused indie dev's dream), but the extra sauce is the collab's with the friggin' Contra franchise instead of, y'know, the blatantly obvious.

Wild stuff, in any case.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10975 10976 [10977] 10978 10979 ... 10992