Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10970 10971 [10972] 10973 10974 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13507700 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164565 on: March 26, 2024, 07:53:50 am »

The ADHD referral has changed, you self-refer now after doing an online form that assesses you for general neurodivergence. Apparently the doctors weren't really doing anything in the process beyond going "Yup, you probably have ADHD/ASD/dyslexia/dyspraxia/dyscalculia so we're referring you"

For some reason, you have to wait an hour before the consent form for referral is available. You do the whole process then leave the page up an hour and *then* it lets you go through with it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164566 on: March 26, 2024, 12:37:35 pm »

And if you accidentally forget about the page and leave it sitting there for 6 hours instead of 1, does your referral get priority?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164567 on: March 26, 2024, 03:15:54 pm »

Atlantic Rim

No further explanation necessary.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164568 on: March 26, 2024, 09:44:38 pm »

I mean, it seems to be a parody of Pacific Rim. Popular movies get parodies made all the time. Have you not heard of Vampires Suck?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #164569 on: March 26, 2024, 09:48:47 pm »

comcast has decided in their infinite wisdom that a) you cannot set port forwarding from their router and must install their phone app and do it there instead and b) your device must be directly connected to the router via cable or wifi so you can select it to set routing for.

Ordinary routers? You say 'hey, send traffic on port 6969 to 192.168.0.5' and they go 'okeydokes! traffic going that way!' Is there a device there? Who gives a shit! The answer is probably yes, but it doesn't specifically matter! Comcast? You gotta select a device. Your device gotta be online. Your device is not online if it's attached to a wifi range extender. You cannot set any kind of port forwarding on that device. you cannot set port forwarding to a specific IP address.

you will grovel at the feet of this android application that requires an extra level of authentication and has less functionality so you can fail to do the thing you used to be able to do from the internal webpage on the router itself

the internal webpage still exists, by the way- but it exists only to tell you to download the app. I'd throw the damn thing into the bin and replace it with equipment I own, but I'm only renting and it's the homeowner's stuff.

I think my tentative plan is to 'connect my devices to the router via wifi dongle, spoof the MAC address on each dongle to match that of the ethernet port, set static IPs to each MAC I've spoofed, set the forwarding to my devices via the application, then reconnect my devices by hardwire to my wifi range extender (with the matching real MACs) which creams the shitty horrible wifi dongles I'm trying to get away from.

this should have been a five minute endeavor and now i'm spending HOURS trying to get around this bullshit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164570 on: March 26, 2024, 11:32:07 pm »

Hey, look on the bright side! You could be doing all that, but doing it because for some misbegotten reason it's the only way to get an update to fix the screen/monitor of the devices you're using so they work again, and perforce having to do the entire thing functionally blind.

... I didn't quite have to do that, once, but it was pretty close. Ended up navigating by keyboard shortcuts using another computer as a reference to roll back some update or another that screwed the monitor entirely. That was a heck of day, and it took a good chunk of it, too.

Does occur to me you probably can't really do that with a smartphone or whatever, though. I guess if you have some kind of plug in keyboard and the device was already configured to use it...? Realistically, someone that's trying to do that and not interested in just taking the phone to a repair joint is probably familiar with what it'd take to just root the device via usb or whatev' and they'd fix it that way. Been a while since I fiddled with it (dealing with getting the google store on a kindle), but I know there's programs that basically let you set settings and whatnot on a mobile device via a proper PC, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164571 on: March 27, 2024, 02:49:47 am »

And if you accidentally forget about the page and leave it sitting there for 6 hours instead of 1, does your referral get priority?
I'd wish so, given there's a 2-2.5 year waitlist for ADHD in the UK.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164572 on: March 27, 2024, 03:37:51 am »

I'd wish so, given there's a 2-2.5 year waitlist for ADHD in the UK.
I'm reasonably sure the page automatically closes after 1 hour 5 minutes.  Keeps the waitlist from increasing to 3 years.

This boggles my American mind.
In the United States, our kind Pharmaceutical industry bombards us with Ads telling us exactly what is wrong with us, what symptoms to say to the doctor, and which meds to request.  And if you have the right insurance, you'll have your pills the same day as you go to the doctor. And it doesn't even have to be a "real" doctor: Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants can also prescribe pills under the direction of a doctor.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164573 on: March 27, 2024, 03:42:05 am »

"South Carolina has $1.8 billion but doesn’t know where the money came from or where it should go"

:o

https://apnews.com/article/south-carolina-missing-money-treasurer-comptroller-85ae9a632712477b0f8e354aee226d11

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164574 on: March 27, 2024, 05:30:27 am »

That headline and accompanying photo are great, but good lord the actual text is amazing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164575 on: March 27, 2024, 06:33:27 am »

The thing that stood out to me is one of the critters involved claiming their staff spent thousands of hours researching the account, but despite that no one has any idea what the hell it is.

That. Doesn't pass a smell test. Either they're lying about not knowing what the account is, or that research needs quote marks around it and the dude just admitted to thousands of grifted manhours doing sod all on gov't dime, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164576 on: March 27, 2024, 10:20:33 am »

I've been in some pain for the last few weeks.

A couple of weeks ago I went and got a massage as part of a "self care day." Initially the massage was "fine" and felt good. She warned me I'd be sore afterward because my muscles are so tight. I was sore alright, for a day or two. But for the next 4 or 5 days, my MIDDLE back, the part she worked the least on, was hella sore.

That's not even the source of it though. On the same day, I went and bought two new pillows. And because they're crazy overstuffed, it threw off my sleeping position and between that and my back pain, basically everything on the left side of my back from traps to rotator cuff was in real pain.

That was two weeks ago. Meanwhile, the pain hasn't stopped. It's intermittently gone away and come back between nights. Some nights I find a position that doesn't end up leaving me in pain in the morning, other nights not so much. My sleep has been disrupted pretty severely.

Today it's about as bad has it has been. My shoulder blade hurts. My rhombus muscles hurt. My deltoids hurt. Fuck, even my triceps are now hurting as the tension works its way down through my arm.

I'm not usually one to take pain meds for minor aches and stuff. But it's gotten bad enough I'm taking ibprofen just to get some relief. I dunno how to solve this problem other than become a back sleeper until it clears up, which I simply can't do. But I'm royally sick of being in low grade pain all day every day.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:33:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #164577 on: March 27, 2024, 12:23:41 pm »

everything at work needs to be done with high priority

everyone is working on high priority things

so i get passed tasks with high priority

just kinda having work dumped on me and asked 'hey, ASAP please'

management is frustrated because developers aren't doing the regression testing development like we're requiring (and summarily skipping because everything must be completed with priority and therefore expedited out of this requirement)

upper brass is like 'you did it, you pushed real hard this week to hit our feature goal! do it again with a bigger number of features!'

meanwhile, i'm trapped in meetings about the urgent work that needs to be done urgently instead of working

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164578 on: March 27, 2024, 12:32:24 pm »

everything at work...

It always amazes me that such companies can exist for more than a few months.  I feel for ya.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164579 on: March 27, 2024, 02:29:32 pm »

Been seeing ads for concealed carry holsters lately and, like.

... they're some of the dumbest ads I've ever seen in my life. 90% sure they're just pictures of folks not actually wearing a holster at all.

They're literally being designed to not show the product being sold, emperor's new clothes style stuff. Presumably they're even working, for some ungodly reason.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10970 10971 [10972] 10973 10974 ... 10992