Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10965 10966 [10967] 10968 10969 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14575398 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164490 on: March 09, 2024, 03:16:20 am »

I'm fairly sure the issue of properly ending a work is why we have so many trilogies, sequels, series, etc.
It can be QUITE profitable to fuck up the ending!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164491 on: March 09, 2024, 03:34:19 am »

I'm also worried that the quality of my writing decayed as my book went on and that's why the views fell in the last few chapters-- but frankly I think that's because most of the views on the previous chapters are actually people re-reading so I don't have a reason to worry.

Gorl don't worry. Your story is great. If anyone had to be crucified for awful storytelling, it would be me.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164492 on: March 09, 2024, 04:02:39 am »

Got my first political ad of the year today.

Only 8 months ‘til election time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164493 on: March 09, 2024, 04:06:58 am »

I'm also worried that the quality of my writing decayed as my book went on and that's why the views fell in the last few chapters-- but frankly I think that's because most of the views on the previous chapters are actually people re-reading so I don't have a reason to worry.

Gorl don't worry. Your story is great. If anyone had to be crucified for awful storytelling, it would be me.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #164494 on: March 09, 2024, 05:54:49 am »

Truth be told I was pretty relaxed and peaceful in my mind afterward, but that may as easily be the fact I didn't drink coffee to start the day, for the first time in.....I don't want to think how long.

I can't really speak for yourself or for the sensory deprivation thing but not drinking coffee after long term usage.. that usually results in the opposite of being relaxed. At least in my case, there were some times where even delaying my morning coffee resulted in headaches.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164495 on: March 09, 2024, 10:39:19 am »

Eh, the headaches only last a few days/a week or so, and they're generally not terrible ones. I quit caffeine pretty much cold turkey after drinking carbonated stuff and tea for decades, and while it was unpleasant for a bit, it was a qualitative improvement after. Would recommend if you can pencil in some time where you're able to handle the withdrawal symptoms.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 12:20:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164496 on: March 09, 2024, 03:35:25 pm »

Truth be told I was pretty relaxed and peaceful in my mind afterward, but that may as easily be the fact I didn't drink coffee to start the day, for the first time in.....I don't want to think how long.

I can't really speak for yourself or for the sensory deprivation thing but not drinking coffee after long term usage.. that usually results in the opposite of being relaxed. At least in my case, there were some times where even delaying my morning coffee resulted in headaches.

I haven't gone without coffee long enough to truly experience that. But I seem to be able to go 4 or more hours, without getting withdrawal headaches.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164497 on: March 09, 2024, 04:39:35 pm »

The reaction depends a lot on the individual person's metabolism. Some people get more strongly "addicted" than others. There's some research about this, although it's about what you'd expect, nothing particularly surprising that I know of.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164498 on: March 09, 2024, 04:46:12 pm »

I get migraines for my caffeine withdrawal headaches, so avoid caffeine for the most part.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164499 on: March 09, 2024, 04:47:26 pm »

I'm sure it would catch up with me eventually. IIRC it's all about the blood vessels and how the lack of caffeine affects them when you've been using it for so long that leads to the headache.

Right now I can drink upwards of 4 French Presses on the weekend. Usually half of that during the weekdays. I need to cut back, I think my adrenal system is fuckin shot. As much as I adore coffee I've been debating going clean for a few days to see what happens.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164500 on: March 09, 2024, 05:25:13 pm »

Well... if you do give it a shot, I'd recommend sticking with it until the headaches stop, then give it like a week or two. Personally, I noticed a pretty significant increase in energy and whatnot after I cut the stuff out of my intake, but it took a bit after the withdrawals ended. Still, notable (if not huge) improvement in quality of life (and food/drink budget, heh).

Most, like, articles and crap I've seen talking about giving up coffee usually give it a go for a month or two, which sounds about right.

E: Also, hey, if you actually like the taste decaf does exist. You wouldn't need to cut that out, at least. Same for tea (and that, at least, I can vouch is fine even decaf, taste wise).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 05:29:33 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164501 on: March 09, 2024, 06:07:58 pm »

I've been wanting an electric car for a while, because they have so much less on them that can break. The engine cooling system on conventional cars in particular is something I've spent a ludicrous amount of money trying to fix on previous vehicles. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a really good deal on a low-milage used Bolt, so I sold my ICE car to my dad for down payment money and made the purchase.

A couple of days ago, a valve failed on said old ICE car and dumped his engine coolant all over the driveway. Guess I was right to be paranoid about it!

It was easily fixed, so he's not really out anything, but still.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164502 on: March 11, 2024, 02:08:28 pm »

The media is apparently going bananas over an edited (by her) picture of Princess Kate because she apparently isn’t allowed any privacy while she convalesces from major surgery.

I’ve never really understood the fascination with royals, and it does get to reach quite disgusting levels at times.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #164503 on: March 11, 2024, 03:00:34 pm »

The media is apparently going bananas over an edited (by her) picture of Princess Kate because she apparently isn’t allowed any privacy while she convalesces from major surgery.

I’ve never really understood the fascination with royals, and it does get to reach quite disgusting levels at times.

Not saying it isn't OTT or stupid, but the confusion more comes from it being a deliberately shared photo that was unspecified as being edited, meaning lots of agencies had to pull it because they have a policy against knowingly sharing edited photos without warning.

There was a paparazzi photo taken of her not too long ago that wasn't shared in most british news because of privacy, but this one was an "official Mother's Day photo".

Bit of a storm in a teapot and cockup-over-conspiracy, but in this case not actually a privacy concern.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164504 on: March 11, 2024, 03:53:42 pm »

The furore about her not being seen (officially) in public is presumably why the picture was released in the first place. She’s not even allowed to try to calm people down without speculation about it being splashed all over the news.

The BBC article on it today even went over some of the parts that had been (possibly? I didn’t read that much about it because it’s soul destroyingly stupid) edited, and even then she may not have been doing it in a deliberate effort to manipulate discourse.

I don’t have any particular like for the royal family, but holy shit it must be so exhausting having everyone’s eyes on you all the time for the tiniest little thing to critique, and the smallest vacuum of space you create about anything is immediately filled with speculation about all sorts of things.

Pages: 1 ... 10965 10966 [10967] 10968 10969 ... 11041