Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10939 10940 [10941] 10942 10943 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13662375 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164100 on: December 08, 2023, 09:45:00 am »

During the corona crisis, Boris Johnson actually planned an armed invasion of the Netherlands to forcibly take vaccins from our vaccin producing companies.

Inb4 article 5 against the UK.
Let's hope our intelligence services send some spies to take out this lunatic dangerous individual.
For context, those were our vaccines. EU had impounded them whilst accusing AstraZeneca of playing favourites over who it supplied first, but AZN and UK had already signed their supply contracts whilst France and Germany were still criticising the UK's rushed vaccine development

I was about to ask exactly this. Germany also tried to steal our vaccines, that Sweden had already paid for and was shipping home, and presumably did the same to other countries too.

It's funny how quick the veneer of "EU solidarity" is ripped off as soon as they need anything for their own countries.
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164101 on: December 08, 2023, 05:25:01 pm »

In my experience, the veneer of any kind of solidarity tends to fall apart the moment the members of a group are forced to squabble for limited resources. Specifically, when there aren't enough resources for everyone.

Seeing this play out in person is one of the big contributors to my cynicism.

I think true solidarity is capable of surviving this kind of crisis, but it's a lot harder to cultivate that than to pay lip service.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164102 on: December 09, 2023, 10:18:00 pm »

Capitalism, prioritizing all the right skills.

Dude gets paid in one week what a lot of people might earn in a lifetime.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164103 on: December 10, 2023, 04:11:48 am »

Can you believe that literal days ago people were feeling "sick" that one of the world's best fighting game players was making less than 0.5% of that (sick because that's, apparently, too much for them to be making)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #164104 on: December 10, 2023, 04:39:01 am »

Yes, I don't find that hard to believe at all. Because neither are reasonable sums for either to be making.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164105 on: December 10, 2023, 07:07:01 am »

The sum here was $15,000 a month for sponsorships etc. that I'm referring to, which is a lot less than the ~6,000,000 a month (good lord) Ohtani is making.

That's not even an order of magnitude more than I'm making, I think it's fair that someone who is in the top 0.001% of something, even if it's less valuable than what I do, makes more than me, considering I'm not in the top 0.01% of what I do. Y'know what I mean? I'm not sure "entertainment is being valued" is a good-looking own on capitalism. Ohtani's contract is flagrant, yeah, but, like, should we only value STEM?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 07:21:42 am by Putnam »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164106 on: December 10, 2023, 07:09:52 am »

I was about to ask exactly this. Germany also tried to steal our vaccines, that Sweden had already paid for and was shipping home, and presumably did the same to other countries too.

It's funny how quick the veneer of "EU solidarity" is ripped off as soon as they need anything for their own countries.
My favourite gaffa was when the EU seized AstraZeneca vaccines in Italy because they thought they were going to be sent to the UK, but that batch of vaccines was supposed to be exported to the EU anyways

What's worse is that the EU countries deliberately sabotaged their own research and procurement but then blamed every country which took the risk and started human trials first :/

Yes, I don't find that hard to believe at all. Because neither are reasonable sums for either to be making.
Selling feet pics, one toe per bitcoin, get your feet pics here

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164107 on: December 10, 2023, 04:20:01 pm »

Yay, new medical problems. Probably related to my persistent cough, but phlegm or whatever it is seems to be getting stuck somewhere in my esophagus. Not my windpipe, for the most part I don't have any problems breathing. After a while, it builds up the point my gag reflex kicks in and I sort of "throat vomit", expelling the contents of my esophagus. Nothing comes out of my stomach, just phlegm, saliva, and maybe recent food/drink that hasn't reached my stomach yet. My cough tends to tone itself down for a bit afterwards.

Not as unpleasant as normal stomach vomiting, but still irritating.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164108 on: December 10, 2023, 04:44:44 pm »

It happens when you try to swallow phlegm. At least for me.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164109 on: December 12, 2023, 10:48:05 pm »

Something of a mixed bag, so it ended up here instead of happy thread or mildly upset...

... anyway, just occurred to me to check to see if some library or another is carrying copies of the Oglaf print books. And... none in florida, which was disappointing. But. At least two (possibly more; I was checking worldcat, OCLC's search thing, which, while it is probably the best venue for searching library catalogs in existence, isn't exhaustive by any means) in north america has the first book, one in cali and the other somewhere in canada. It's a neat thing to see, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164110 on: December 13, 2023, 07:20:20 am »

I was actually just looking at maybe buying them after how long I've been following the strip... Buuuut from the looks of it, shipping costs to Norway might make the pdfs a far more enticing prospect, much as the print ones would be cool

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164111 on: December 13, 2023, 06:36:39 pm »

Ugh, sickness is getting worse. Pretty sure there's some kind of infection in my stomach or intestines.

I'm finding it very hard to eat. I think I've lost a significant amount of weight already from my bowel issues; even with a belt it's very hard to keep my pants up at work. Part of it feels like it's because I'm starting to get dehydrated, and thus I can't eat because I'm too thirsty. Probably isn't that surprising given just how much phlegm and other stuff I'm expelling. Unfortunately, the earliest appointment for the doctor I could get is Friday after work.

On the plus side, the expectorant I started taking the other day is slowly starting to make an improvement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164112 on: December 14, 2023, 11:10:30 am »

Quote from: CNN
At the moment, interest rates are historically high...

To what history are they referring?  The past 15 years are not a good reference...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164113 on: December 14, 2023, 01:19:45 pm »

Ugh, sickness is getting worse. Pretty sure there's some kind of infection in my stomach or intestines.

I'm finding it very hard to eat. I think I've lost a significant amount of weight already from my bowel issues; even with a belt it's very hard to keep my pants up at work. Part of it feels like it's because I'm starting to get dehydrated, and thus I can't eat because I'm too thirsty. Probably isn't that surprising given just how much phlegm and other stuff I'm expelling. Unfortunately, the earliest appointment for the doctor I could get is Friday after work.

On the plus side, the expectorant I started taking the other day is slowly starting to make an improvement.

So I am guessing that you live somewhere, where being obviously sick is not enough to get you a temporary pass until you get to a physician.

That such places even exist is my WTF.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164114 on: December 14, 2023, 04:36:56 pm »

And you clearly don't work in the US :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 10939 10940 [10941] 10942 10943 ... 11004