Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10933 10934 [10935] 10936 10937 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14574154 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164010 on: November 17, 2023, 11:13:42 am »

I think the idea is you're paying them for a summer holiday abroad. It's just that you have to work on said holiday.

I dunno, maybe some people find the idea of working at a kid's summer camp across the Atlantic appealing enough to pay a few hundred and receive board and food. Personally it just feels super scammy.
I know there were a few cases in Nepal where these orphanages would do similar schemes, except they weren't orphanages, they were actual human trafficking fronts

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164011 on: November 17, 2023, 11:19:13 am »

We have local work offered thats more like a jobcorps type deal.  It promises some sort of philanthropic reward and some meager pay for a summer of your time.  You have to pay for your room up front, but they give you stipend and 'the experience' of possibly managing a small team.  Sometimes you get to go across the country to do it.

All of them prey on some sort of validation.  Help intercity youth or clean the community or whatever, and then they make it available for low or no skill workers.  When the bar is low, anyone who is vulnerable due to ideology or social disconnect or whatever can be lured in.  Like a cult, but where a cult tries to keep you these dont even offer you that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164012 on: November 17, 2023, 05:07:04 pm »

I think the idea is you're paying them for a summer holiday abroad. It's just that you have to work on said holiday.

I dunno, maybe some people find the idea of working at a kid's summer camp across the Atlantic appealing enough to pay a few hundred and receive board and food. Personally it just feels super scammy.
I know there were a few cases in Nepal where these orphanages would do similar schemes, except they weren't orphanages, they were actual human trafficking fronts
I mean, it's presently doing a discounting agreement with a legitimate and well known site. I can only imagine it's not a front because that'd be like hanging a sign over a crack den with "FREE CRACK!" on it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164013 on: November 17, 2023, 06:02:32 pm »

I mean, it's presently doing a discounting agreement with a legitimate and well known site. I can only imagine it's not a front because that'd be like hanging a sign over a crack den with "FREE CRACK!" on it.
How disreputable. Everyone knows the proper signage is "Free crack - enquire within."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164014 on: November 17, 2023, 06:05:12 pm »

Altman fired
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164015 on: November 17, 2023, 06:24:17 pm »

If I had to guess, they were less than thrilled with his position on developing AI without being constrained by the need for it to be profitable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164016 on: November 17, 2023, 06:24:43 pm »

How disreputable. Everyone knows the proper signage is "Free crack - enquire within."
Or "Free crack!!!!!*"

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164017 on: November 17, 2023, 08:33:00 pm »

If I had to guess, they were less than thrilled with his position on developing AI without being constrained by the need for it to be profitable.
Actually it's because of copyright issues.

Honestly, L rip bozo. I want corporate AI to sink so that independent AI can float. Soon LLMs will be easily runnable locally, and the corporate oligopoly on text AI will collapse completely.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164018 on: November 17, 2023, 08:50:54 pm »

Or "Free crack!!!!!*"
Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of a diseased mind.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164019 on: November 18, 2023, 03:09:08 am »

Or "Free crack!!!!!*"
But what if we added a sixth exclamation mark?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164020 on: November 18, 2023, 05:39:10 am »

Or "Free crack!!!!!*"
But what if we added a sixth exclamation mark?

That means being as deranged as Novel.

When you get to eight, you cross the event horizon and become as insane as me!!!!!!!!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164021 on: November 20, 2023, 10:29:47 am »

I walked into a sewing supplies shop, looking to buy a thimble.
The saleswoman told me she only had a golden one, which would cost me 500 CZK.
My reaction:
"I only need a steel one."
*beat*
"Actually, I'd prefer a steel one, as gold is not hard enough to protect my finger."

Then I went into a different sewing supplies shop and bought a steel thimble for 25 CZK.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164022 on: November 20, 2023, 11:07:18 am »

You could have been the bling boss of thimbled thumbs. You could wear it around your neck. You could put it on your business card. It was worth any price.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164023 on: November 20, 2023, 05:38:58 pm »

It's weird looking up clothes and... actually liking it? I suppose a lifetime of repressed trans-ness meant that I hated mens clothes and now I'm opening myself up to womens it's making me enjoy it.

It's a good WTF, but a WTF nontheless.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #164024 on: November 20, 2023, 08:15:13 pm »

could just be you're looking at marketing targeting your demographic now
Pages: 1 ... 10933 10934 [10935] 10936 10937 ... 11041