Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10922 10923 [10924] 10925 10926 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571464 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163845 on: October 22, 2023, 05:09:15 pm »

Y'know, 'till this day I had never thought to season frozen french fries prior to cooking. After, sure, but... never while they were still cold.

Turns out it works just like and just as well as seasoning unfrozen home fries. Think it does add like a minute or two to the cooking time, but the normal cooking time worked out just fine, just slightly less crunchy than I'd prefer.

Today's seasoning mix: Chill powder/black pepper/paprika 1:1:1 mix as main seasoning, then parsley, garlic powder, and rosemary (first time I've added rosemary to the mix, but checking online to see if seasoning frozen fries had any complications, it was recommended, so...) as supplementary, with a little bit (sub 1 serving) of olive oil to help it cover stuff. Light bit of shredded (fiesta, whatever the blazes gets put in that) cheese and very light sprinkle of bacon bits after it cooked. It, uh. It turned out really good.

E: Though next time is probably going to get a dash of cayenne. It'd be even better with just a hint of a kick to it. Probably some butter, too, I'unno.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:15:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163846 on: October 22, 2023, 05:20:18 pm »

I buy alexia fries and I presalt and pregarlic them

figured I was being selfish

P: should prefunction that by saying I watch my own intake, even if it isnt 'ideal', so while a treat, it isnt just an excuse to dump sodium.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:22:01 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163847 on: October 22, 2023, 05:42:42 pm »

Dunno why it'd be selfish? 'Bout the worst thing about frozen fries is usually the sodium in 'em, and as things go they're usually not that bad on the salt front. Just don't go too crazy on them or eat light for the rest of the day and you're good.

I'd totes recommend doing more than just salt and garlic, though, especially for fries what already got salt in 'em. You can go pretty wild on seasoning spud and it'll still taste real good, so... go wild :D
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163848 on: October 23, 2023, 04:08:26 am »

Won't the heat and time required for frozen fries end up cooking off a lot of volatiles like garlic, chili, pepper and the like?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163849 on: October 23, 2023, 06:44:47 am »

Great now I lust for fries drowned in sourcream red cabbage and pulled chicken.
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163850 on: October 23, 2023, 06:47:32 am »

As you should.

If you let the frozen fries defrost prior to cooking they wont unless youre deep frying them
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163851 on: October 23, 2023, 07:15:03 am »

Won't the heat and time required for frozen fries end up cooking off a lot of volatiles like garlic, chili, pepper and the like?
It sure didn't taste like it :V

At least for air frying, frozen spud only needs to cook for, like... two or three more minutes at the same heat, or something like that? There's barely any difference in cooking time between frozen and homemade, and pre-seasoned home fries come out the cooker tastin' even better than they do if you season after you pull them out, least to me.

So that... might be a concern if you're oil/deep frying? I don't think it would, because the last few times I've actually used an oil fryer with pre-seasoned home fries, while some of the seasoning did come off in the cooking oil, most of it cooked into the fries real well -- and as with air frying, doing frozen doesn't actually change your cooking profile much in terms of time or heat.

Most other cooking methods it's definitely neither hot enough nor cooked long enough to burn off much seasoning, in any case. Like, idle checking suggests it happens to some degree, but from what I've seen all my life, if you throw a pile of black pepper (or whatever) onto spud before cooking it, there's still going to be a pile of black pepper on it even if some amount of it cooks off, and that's true if you're boiling it, baking it, frying it, air frying it, microwaving it, pan cooking it, grilling it, steaming it, and probably some method or another I'm forgetting. I can't remember if I've broiled or braised potatoes before, but now I kinda' wanna' try braised potatoes...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:19:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163852 on: October 24, 2023, 08:52:21 pm »

Dumbass of a friend suggested I get into streaming as my next big career.

Like there isn't thousands of unsuccessful streamers for every one good one.

Like I don't have the charisma of a half brined pickle.

Like I don't have a face for radio.

Told them my job is shitty and underpaying, just do a job that's 1 in a million chance successful of working and still underpaying, or another job just as shitty and underpaying for exactly the same reason (uber). Just like people that tell me to pull a self owned business out of my ass, like 90% don't fail in a year.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163853 on: October 24, 2023, 09:17:13 pm »

Oh ffs Roboto just do it. You don’t get to tell other people what they like, and if you can get to the point you can live off the income without being super-duper popular, more power to you.

Stop looking for reason to not do something and do it.

Like, if you want to I mean. Do you, not what someone wants you to be.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163854 on: October 24, 2023, 09:29:53 pm »

Having realistic expectations is "reasons not to do something", okay.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163855 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:10 pm »

If you have expectations it’ll fail you’re not going to lose out much if it does. You might even enjoy yourself on the journey to that point :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163856 on: October 24, 2023, 11:35:18 pm »

If you crave attention, you'll do it. That's what sets streamers aside from others. They want celebrity and they'll chase it even if they're not successful, at all or at first. If you don't have that fundamental craving for fame I don't see a reason to try.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:54:57 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163857 on: October 25, 2023, 01:40:07 am »

I very much agree with Roberto. Going into streaming with the expectation of actually making money and being able to pay your bills with it is borderline delusional.

Like if you enjoy streaming as a hobby then great, do it. If its your dream, then sure, pursue it.
For the average person however into it to make money is an absolutely terrible idea.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163858 on: October 25, 2023, 10:54:10 am »

Well it could work, charles white isn't exactly the king of inflection...

What is much more essential: do you enjoy speaking and commenting while you play a game? Because that is exhausting, not everybody is good at it, and thats what seperates the wheat from the chaff. But since you get to pick the topics you engage with I do not think autism is really a barrier.

hihihi senior roberto I find this funnier than it has any right to be
let

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #163859 on: October 25, 2023, 11:12:06 am »

Had our bi-annual health checkup at work, turns out I have some degree of color blindness. Never really noticed much of a problem in the past 30 years tho :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 10922 10923 [10924] 10925 10926 ... 11040