Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10921 10922 [10923] 10924 10925 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570794 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163830 on: October 20, 2023, 10:23:48 pm »

I got stinkeye and treated like a parasite because one day I was too sick (pneumonia dregs had kicked up again) and asked if she could pick up the takeaway I'd ordered on her behalf instead of doing it myself (as I'd done for the rest of the month).

I got guilt-tripped repeatedly with her locking herself in the bathroom and crying any time I tried to actually talk about the issues we were having, because I "sounded too aggressive".

I was informed that I would be partaking in the extremely restrictive fad diet she wanted to go on, because this was her "last chance" to lose weight and she wouldn't be able to stick to it unless I was also on it, so if I didn't do this then she would gain weight again, ruin her life, and it would be my fault. She explicitly said that I would be the cause of her life getting ruined if I didn't take to this diet.

But there was enough of me there that knew this wasn't right, wasn't okay, and made little offhanded comments about what was really going on. Subconscious cries for help.

Man this is so eerily similar to what happened to my childhood friend in his marriage. He bent over backwards for his wife. Did the fad diet (keto) even though she was already rail skinny. Insisted on living healthy AF. She couldn't hold down jobs due to anger and attitude issues so he was largely the sole wage earner. I got the impression she'd shout at him sometimes. When he got sick with mono, she treated him like crap and didn't really take good care of him, which he only barely, sheepishly confided to me at one point. She'd vibe check him even when he'd made plans to hang out and have some bro time, calling him and interrupting us just to establish that he was at her beck and call, giving him tasks. Really dumb shit like "Oh, I seem to have gotten lost driving on the highway, can you help me......"

She eventually left him for an older man who smokes. (TBF, she was older than my friend so it was more a guy closer to her age.) He was completely fucking devastated, even after all that.

Just... Kind of venting. Not really looking for advice...
Fuck, I had a lot to uncork. Sorry.

It may be a meme these days but, we see you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 10:59:16 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163831 on: October 21, 2023, 12:04:56 am »

Today I read a piece of news online ,which really makes feel WTF , which is about "has the foreign inveatment withdrawn from China ?", through a long analysis , the conclusion of the writer is "No ,it has not ." But the truth is that the bank interest rate is reducing :<

Sounds really funny , right ? When I viewed the replying zone , negative replys had fillded it , the most negative reply said that , "the economic winter seems to come...no one would survive ." It makes feel really pessimistic about the economic situation of China .

Having read lots of news about the difficulty of the graduates to find a job , is it really true ?
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #163832 on: October 21, 2023, 01:56:22 am »

Looks like YouTube has once again stepped up its advertisement bullying. Now it's given me a warning that I have three more videos until I have to disable adblock or else the player gets turned off.

Which is either a total bluff, or it can be circumvented with incognito, or uBlock is gonna get an even bigger spike in popularity.

Regardless, I don't see this going very well for the ol' Y-T
If you ignore it, it'll shut you down in 3 videos.

They're in an ongoing war with Ublock for it.

So far, the record for "time Ublock is down" is a few hours, for the reason of "The Ublock team were asleep."

It's very funny to me.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163833 on: October 21, 2023, 04:17:08 am »

Them doing shit like that is why I download all the videos I watch from there.

We keep saying it but it's like we fall on deaf ears, which is surprising for a web 2.0 audience, then again maybe it is that which will buy us a few more calm years... I looted enough hardrives I kind of love the idea to archive everything I've seen; in theory no more quotes need to misplaced, everything can be retraced, and accessed for sampling.
I started archiving the videos a few years ago and as it stands I've got 812 entire channels archived, with a massive list of more to get.

Also when going back through them and updating them awhile back I found that a few of them no longer exist, which means that I'm probably the only person that has some of that content now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163834 on: October 21, 2023, 08:07:52 am »

It's very funny to me.

Hell, even incognito appears to be working for the moment. It seems to try loading in ads at the start of the video, fails silently, and then just starts the video proper after a short delay.

This really isn't a good look for them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163835 on: October 21, 2023, 10:03:50 am »

I can only imagine the poor programmers being tasked to do it aren't actually that enthusiastic about it. They're not going to be unaware the fundamental problem is the state of ads, not the obvious reaction of treating ads that act like malware as malware, heh.

Bonus points, if they're in a half-assed forever war with ublock, they got job security :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163836 on: October 21, 2023, 10:18:52 am »

YouTube recently outpaced Netflix as the app of choice for watching TV shows among teens

I don't know how it compares to TikTok, but that's probably why they're cracking down on adverts

get that young money lol
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163837 on: October 21, 2023, 10:30:23 am »

Eh... they've been at-least-mildly hostile in regards to pushing ads I think even prior to google getting their mitts on 'em, and certainly for a good long while. It's probably corpo brainworms more than anything particularly connected to reality or current events.

Some of it even makes sense, in a twisted sort of way. You're not going to inconvenience your customers just 'cause they're making things worse for the product, you're going to try to get the product to stop fighting back so much. If it wasn't for the fact that the "product" in this case is human end users, we probably wouldn't care nearly as much.

S'just that between the product being that and the various security issues involved, a lot of folks, uh. Do. Care a bunch, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163838 on: October 21, 2023, 03:22:56 pm »

Today I read a piece of news online ,which really makes feel WTF , which is about "has the foreign inveatment withdrawn from China ?", through a long analysis , the conclusion of the writer is "No ,it has not ." But the truth is that the bank interest rate is reducing :<

Sounds really funny , right ? When I viewed the replying zone , negative replys had fillded it , the most negative reply said that , "the economic winter seems to come...no one would survive ." It makes feel really pessimistic about the economic situation of China .

Having read lots of news about the difficulty of the graduates to find a job , is it really true ?
From what I hear... yes. Experts are saying that foreign investment has been leaving China for some time and the current government policy is unlikely to reverse that. This is particularly the case given that the American Federal Reserve has consistently been raising its own rates, which has the effect of "pulling" investment from other countries to America, and the EU has been forced to follow suit to protect their own economies. Historically, this kind of situation almost always precedes a recession, and the general economic indicators are strongly suggesting that a global recession is likely. Under such circumstances, then, I would definitely expect a recession in China - there's not really any way for such a major market to "dodge" it.

The specific economic situation of China does introduce complicating factors, though. There will absolutely be declines in standard of living - I understand there's already a problem with energy - but China's status as a major primary resource producer, and close relationship with other primary resource producers, does put a certain floor on how bad things can get. The falling population also tends to mitigate the problem, although it's inflationary. Basically, the economy has to contract, but I think there's a reasonable chance that it will contract more or less stably. I also recall you saying that you were interested in becoming a pharmacist, which is reasonably likely to be a stable job in the face of an aging population, unless things get so bad that drugs become prohibitively expensive. Which is a real possibility, though I've read that most medicines sold in China are produced there, so, if that's the case, the import costs aren't going to be as bad. The care industry, generally, is a decent long-term bet, as it tends to be a major vector of concentrating wealth in a declining population.

I find economics very interesting so I'd be happy to explain more and give more predictions if you want, but I feel like I made this post long enough for now. There are definitely also some caveats I can think of that are worth considering in a more thorough treatment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163839 on: October 21, 2023, 04:08:42 pm »

YouTube recently outpaced Netflix as the app of choice for watching TV shows among teens

I don't know how it compares to TikTok, but that's probably why they're cracking down on adverts

get that young money lol
young people don't have money though

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163840 on: October 21, 2023, 04:10:16 pm »

Even if they don't, I imagine a fair few of them manage to get their parents to sign off on things. Which is actually better for the company, because if the money you're spending isn't yours, you'll probably feel less responsibility to keep your spending in check.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163841 on: October 21, 2023, 05:05:22 pm »

Looks like YouTube has once again stepped up its advertisement bullying. Now it's given me a warning that I have three more videos until I have to disable adblock or else the player gets turned off.

Which is either a total bluff, or it can be circumvented with incognito, or uBlock is gonna get an even bigger spike in popularity.

Regardless, I don't see this going very well for the ol' Y-T
Yea, my response has been to close youtube and open spotify.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163842 on: October 21, 2023, 06:39:36 pm »

Manny's is a really bizarre game.

The facial expressions...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163843 on: October 22, 2023, 02:24:56 am »

Last time I actually watched a video on Youtube I never got any ads, might be because I uses ad block plus instead of whatever that one people keep talking about is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163844 on: October 22, 2023, 03:27:15 am »

Nah, I'm using ABP. I've gotten exactly one warning so far.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 10921 10922 [10923] 10924 10925 ... 11040