Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10902 10903 [10904] 10905 10906 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572057 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163545 on: September 13, 2023, 08:11:12 pm »

Why would a man walking on water even be slightly weird if you've already accepted the core premise of the religion already? An omnipotent god is not only way further of a stretch then walking on water, but also offers a very easy explanation for how the water walking was achieved.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163546 on: September 13, 2023, 08:56:45 pm »

https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-reveals-plans-to-charge-per-game-install-drawing-criticism-from-development-community

This is impressively flammable, even by Unity standards. Apparently they've now attempted to walk it back a bit, saying that now only the first install on a given device will incur a charge... ...but the charge is still there, and still counts each time for multiple devices, and and and...

Also, buried in the rest of it: The Unity Plus subscription tier has now apparently been axed. If you want the premium features, you need to go to the next level up, which is luckily only $1600 more expensive.

Looks like Hollow Knight Silk Song is about to be delayed by another 3 years as the devs work on porting their game to a new engine.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163547 on: September 13, 2023, 09:34:39 pm »

Why would a man walking on water even be slightly weird if you've already accepted the core premise of the religion already? An omnipotent god is not only way further of a stretch then walking on water, but also offers a very easy explanation for how the water walking was achieved.
It's weird from the other direction- why would that god walk at all?
I *like* the idea of a divine avatar, exercising self control or even making itself vulnerable depending on who you ask...  It just raises SO many more questions than it answers.
Quote from: Sister Miriam Godwinson
Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?
(I think LW quoted this again recently, but it's so good and I think it's relevant)

And sure, an omnipotent being could walk on water.  Or cure disease, or tell you what card you're holding...  So can we.  Why didn't we get a timeless miracle?  One we can actually observe, I mean.

Also: If the creator seeks companions, fellow creators... it'd be nice if it returned my calls, or shared its tools.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163548 on: September 13, 2023, 09:49:07 pm »

Playing a pokemon fangame (infinite fusion) and... it made the Bill encounter so, so much darker.

See, the basic premise of the game is you can fuse pokemon into all kinds of horrific abominations, but part of the basic conceit? You can split fused pokemon, and the component 'mon are, to all appearances, fine.

Unlike the base game, where Bill just transforms into a pokemon and comes back, in this one... he fuses with one. And when you un-fuse him? The pokemon he fused with is nowhere to be seen.

The implication that the dude basically just murdered a pokemon in the name of mad science is pretty stark. The general premise of the series is pretty sketchy and involves a lot of questionable consent of sophonts, but it usually kinda' dances around things, y'know? Not this time. Rhydon being used as an experimental subject is just frikkin' gone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163549 on: September 13, 2023, 11:29:28 pm »

I *like* the idea of a divine avatar, exercising self control or even making itself vulnerable depending on who you ask...  It just raises SO many more questions than it answers.
Quote from: Sister Miriam Godwinson
Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?
(I think LW quoted this again recently, but it's so good and I think it's relevant)

This doesn't feel like a very compelling or even reasonable argument from a religious person.

That said, if I was to disagree with this video game npc for a moment, we live in a universe which can be observed (not with perfect confidence or zero conflict, but close enough to have a conversation) to both
A: Exist [Citation needed]
B: Not be constructed in a way as to maximize benevolence

So when a religious person says that their god created the universe and both that
A: They did it because they wanted to/because doing so was a good thing to do/insert any other reason here
B: Their god is omnibenevolent

There's a much bigger and more immediate issue with points B here. There's no conflict with point A: I might not believe it, because there's lack of evidence for it, but it's only point B that totally fails to even make sense. So. To me, the question of evil is a bigger question, and a bigger flaw with Christianity, then the question of why does anything exist at all.

If we did want to examine that question though with some further thought I think we can fairly successfully apply the Anthropic principle to the question of why a god would create the universe. That is, the universe exists in some form, our ability to question that proves it, thus any halfway reasonable reason given for a god creating the universe is good enough to stand on it's own. (not enough to believe it of course, that would require evidence) We could still question it, perhaps a given explanation is wrong, even if a god exists. But it's not like the idea of a benevolent god, which must be discarded simply from the obvious observations we can make on the state of the universe.

To wrap all the way back around to Jesus.

It's weird from the other direction- why would that god walk at all?

If you already accept the basic premise, that god came down to act as a sort of teacher and try to be close to humanity ect whatever. It makes sense. If you assume that's what was going on it does raise further questions about the omniscience of god given how much of a failure Jesus seems to have become. But the basic idea seems solid to me at least.

That said, the point I didn't really make, but more like obliquely implied in my post aimed at martinuzz, was that a majority of people in the world already believe in things far stranger and less reasonable then a man/god walking on water. To have such a reaction to someone professing such a belief is bizarre to me. It's very low down on the totem pole of weird shit that people think is true. And all the far more wacky shit we're suppose to just be okay with everyone believing in. So why the fuck would you call the police on someone for believing in that?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163550 on: September 14, 2023, 12:58:13 am »

I find it funny when someone thinks that the universe fails to correspond perfectly with his personal fallible moral sense, then thinks the universe is the one who's wrong here. "No, everybody else is out of touch!"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163551 on: September 14, 2023, 03:22:06 am »

Awful high and mighty of martinuzz to decide that people that don't believe the same things he does needs psychiatric help.

https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-reveals-plans-to-charge-per-game-install-drawing-criticism-from-development-community

This is impressively flammable, even by Unity standards. Apparently they've now attempted to walk it back a bit, saying that now only the first install on a given device will incur a charge... ...but the charge is still there, and still counts each time for multiple devices, and and and...

Also, buried in the rest of it: The Unity Plus subscription tier has now apparently been axed. If you want the premium features, you need to go to the next level up, which is luckily only $1600 more expensive.
Well that's the sound of Unity committing suicide.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163552 on: September 14, 2023, 05:24:05 am »

I find it funny when someone thinks that the universe fails to correspond perfectly with his personal fallible moral sense, then thinks the universe is the one who's wrong here. "No, everybody else is out of touch!"

Is this comment directed at me? Sorta hard to tell, because it was posted directly after me and it's almost relevant to the conversation at hand. But it doesn't really seem to apply to anything that anyone said, at least on this page, so it's hard to tell what you mean and if it's a comment at what someone said or just a separate thought you had and posted on the WTF thread unrelated to the ongoing conversation. (Which would make sense, it's a very WTF thought to have.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163553 on: September 14, 2023, 06:42:30 am »

Y'all aren't going to change the conclusion on the Problem of Good and Evil here.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163554 on: September 14, 2023, 07:20:18 am »

Y'all aren't going to change the conclusion on the Problem of Good and Evil here.

Is anyone here attempting to do so?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163556 on: September 14, 2023, 10:25:37 am »

Playing a pokemon fangame (infinite fusion) and... it made the Bill encounter so, so much darker.

See, the basic premise of the game is you can fuse pokemon into all kinds of horrific abominations, but part of the basic conceit? You can split fused pokemon, and the component 'mon are, to all appearances, fine.

Unlike the base game, where Bill just transforms into a pokemon and comes back, in this one... he fuses with one. And when you un-fuse him? The pokemon he fused with is nowhere to be seen.

The implication that the dude basically just murdered a pokemon in the name of mad science is pretty stark. The general premise of the series is pretty sketchy and involves a lot of questionable consent of sophonts, but it usually kinda' dances around things, y'know? Not this time. Rhydon being used as an experimental subject is just frikkin' gone.
Oh I've seen this game!  ZarlaSheenaza LP'd some of it!  I'm truly impressed by a lot of the fusions, they must have put a lot of work in.

Here's a timestamped video to her LP which I found particularly touching for no particular reason :')
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boT_U_QqXIE&t=2159s

I'm getting burnt out by Crystal Clear lately- does Infinite Fusion have good postgame content too?  i mean, from the name and core mechanic I can't see how it wouldn't
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163557 on: September 14, 2023, 12:11:22 pm »

Obviously MS means the person Martinuzz complained about, or else how could it make any sense.
I'm unclear why you're linking this, but if you're trying to suggest that this is about dd not working, let me explain - you WILL get read errors, which is entirely expected and part of how the copy protection works - part of the disk is simply burned with illegible and hard-to-process garbage. However, the read errors are supposed to be there and the copy should work fine when mounted as usual afterward - I've never had one that used this copy protection that didn't work.

ETA: That's the only reason anyone even thinks that you can't copy the disks - because there's a big chunk of intentional read errors designed to try to make software think that the copy has failed. Most copying software has an option to bullheadedly power through anyway, which, again, produces perfectly functional disks, or you can use dd or some equivalent seekable copier to skip the errors like I did. The disk is just lying to you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 12:25:47 pm by Maximum Spin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163558 on: September 14, 2023, 12:30:49 pm »

I'm getting burnt out by Crystal Clear lately- does Infinite Fusion have good postgame content too?  i mean, from the name and core mechanic I can't see how it wouldn't
I have no idea whatsoever; I currently haven't even gotten onboard SS Anne, and it mostly seems to be following-ish the gen 1 storyline, at least so far as pathing goes (the plot's notably different, but you're going more or less the same direction and stuff's happening around the same spots, so far). So I ain't exactly reached postgame content, heh.

E: Most I can note is that the world map you get fairly early covers Johto, Kanto, and Sevii, and from what I've seen of LP stuff the main storyline just treads gen 1 clay, so it presumably lets you keeps going for a while at a minimum.

E2: Though, uh, if you decide to look into it? It feels a little slow, movement/performance/etc. wise. Actually think it's fairly true to how things moved back in the old days of pokemon, but that was kinda' miserable so. Best suggestion? Point cheat engine at it. It's much smoother at 5x acceleration :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 12:48:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163559 on: September 14, 2023, 01:36:53 pm »

I tried the alcohol software that is suggested there (and is supposed to do a bit more than you describe).

But yeah the idea is to take the voluntary read errors with, just make a perfect copy, but I cant hack it. And in the link seems to suggest that dd shouldnt work either but let's not put too much weight into that unironically, I'l give it another try one day, I know that it's not impossible.

Anyway the topic is dead by now, but I think physical digital rights management could exist, it is convoluted and not exactly convenient. The method of using the install medium as proof of purchase is truely obsolete, even if cloning the install medium isn't trivial, all you have to do is to convince the programm its there which as far as I understand ranges somewhere between extremly easy and really not that difficult. But I just wanted to say that I can imagine something that basically checks off both side's points (even if its kind of meh):

-When you acquire a new game you have your usual online installer except they serve you a somewhat unique installer.
-While it's installing it asks you who you are and where you live so they can send you your disk.
-The disk is filled with crypto shenanigans, basically a bunch of seeds.
-While you play your unique client,  it constantly checks a bunch of stuff on the disk that is too intensive to calculate i  real time while the game plays.

They get to charge per user computer by charging per dvd (and making the client dependant on the OS license), people can make backups as they desire (of the installer and the disk), no more online requirements after initial acquisition, leakers have a hard time acquiring copies without leaving a trace, if someone does crack the software it will only work for that unique client. If they want to be extra dicks they use the noise of the crypto shenanigans for the rng, that way if someone amputates the DRM part, the loot and stuff is bugging out.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 01:39:10 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10902 10903 [10904] 10905 10906 ... 11040