Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10900 10901 [10902] 10903 10904 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572472 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163515 on: September 12, 2023, 03:36:51 am »

Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163516 on: September 12, 2023, 03:53:00 am »

At this point im surprised that anyone with access to these documents and playing war thunder dont end up discharged/fired. Youd think all that NSA surveillance would actually go towards stopping leaks like these.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163517 on: September 12, 2023, 04:30:58 am »

But....   my internet arguments!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #163518 on: September 12, 2023, 06:46:54 am »

from the wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Thunder ) that describe each of those cases
A user on the War Thunder forums posted flight manuals of the F-117 in an attempt to prove why the F-117 should be added to the game. The user shared a few pages from the classified flight manuals. The pictures contained the location of sensors, angle of attack limit, engine specifications and other information about the aircraft. While these manuals are available for purchase online, the post was removed by the moderators within hours.

I don't understand, the manuals are "classified" but anyone can purchase them online ?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #163519 on: September 12, 2023, 07:44:28 am »

I swear War Thunder has been the single best creation of the Russian intelligence services so far.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163520 on: September 12, 2023, 08:36:14 am »

I don't understand, the manuals are "classified" but anyone can purchase them online ?
Some things have variable classifications depending on medium. Like stuff that's not exactly top secret but they don't want anyone making copies of it anyways

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163521 on: September 12, 2023, 12:42:47 pm »

Some things have variable classifications depending on medium. Like stuff that's not exactly top secret but they don't want anyone making copies of it anyways
It's not classified at all, in fact, that's why it's available. The thing is that it's only available to people legally considered to be 'US persons', as it falls under ITAR and thus cannot legally leave the US (more specifically, cannot be viewed by someone who isn't a US person under that legal definition).

So publishing it on an online forum is strictly illegal despite the fact that it is not actually classified. Most of the US-side "classified documents leaks" at least in the context of WT have actually been violations of ITAR not classification.

Results are similar either way, though, a crime is committed when someone posts information that is in some way restricted to the WT forums because they don't ever seem to realize that the developers don't SEE those posts because the moderators are different people and delete them before any devs see it lol.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163522 on: September 13, 2023, 05:44:34 am »

https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-reveals-plans-to-charge-per-game-install-drawing-criticism-from-development-community

This is impressively flammable, even by Unity standards. Apparently they've now attempted to walk it back a bit, saying that now only the first install on a given device will incur a charge... ...but the charge is still there, and still counts each time for multiple devices, and and and...

Also, buried in the rest of it: The Unity Plus subscription tier has now apparently been axed. If you want the premium features, you need to go to the next level up, which is luckily only $1600 more expensive.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163523 on: September 13, 2023, 06:11:29 am »

...They'll be charging the developer for every customer that installs a game made with unity?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163524 on: September 13, 2023, 07:38:21 am »

...They'll be charging the developer for every customer that installs a game made with unity?

Yep. If you make and distribute a game made with Unity, once that game hits 200k installs and $200k in revenue (gross, in the last 12 months), then for every subsequent time someone installs that game, you'll be charged $0.20.

With lower fees available for their higher subscription tiers.

Except now, they've decided to address the concerns (outrage and fury) about this policy change by altering it so that only the first install on any given device will count towards the charge. Y'know, so someone who uninstalls and reinstalls your game 1000 times in a day doesn't rack up a $200 charge for you.

If they have 5 different machines though and install their one purchase on all five, you'll still get charged $0.20 for the first install on each one of those machines. How they're able to check for this I'm not sure, given that this is something they'd previously argued they wouldn't be able to protect against because "Unity Runtime Fee will only be using aggregate data, not personal"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163525 on: September 13, 2023, 08:31:09 am »

Welp. I guess it's that time in a game engine cycle where monetization nonsense leads to a new (financial) low-end engine popularizing. You had a good run, unity, it'll be neat to see what replaces you :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163526 on: September 13, 2023, 09:23:43 am »

I really really wonder, how much pain it's worth, to go through all this nonsense instead of just selling CDs or whatever and letting whoever holds the CD play the game.

I mean even with piracy, companies are still literally selling 100s of thousands of copies of games.  Is this not really good enough?

Maybe they should look more at the price/volume curve?  Presumably if you are selling 100k games at $70, if you lower the price back to $60 would that get you more than 17k more sales to make your total revenue go up?

I mean if it costs you $100k for anti-piracy technology, do you really get more than 1500 more sales at $70 than you would have without it?

I'd really love to see the actual data about how these numbers change... which would be hard with games, because if you have game A that had some sales and some %piracy rate, then you release a subsequent game B and it had a lower piracy rate... can you really conclude that the different rate was due to the protection, or was it due to a difference in the people who enjoyed the game, resulting in a demographic more willing or able to pay for it?  Or is it just due to generally more people existing later in time, so the total population is higher?

Data scientists, where art thou!?!?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163527 on: September 13, 2023, 11:27:59 am »

I really really wonder, how much pain it's worth, to go through all this nonsense instead of just selling CDs or whatever and letting whoever holds the CD play the game.
Eh... that hasn't been a meaningful DRM method since, like. Not quite ever, but pretty close to it? Lots of stuff doesn't even have DVD players built in these days, to boot, which mean you'd be stuck trying to do something with USB drives or somethin' if you didn't want to kneecap a lot of sales, which is even harder to lock down than old mediums.

Far as I'm aware most DRM methods aren't really net financial gains, in any case. It's one of those cases of corps being neurotic over being profit maximizers. There's lots of cases like that out there, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163528 on: September 13, 2023, 12:03:16 pm »

Oh no, copyprotection is surprisingly effective. I tried to digitalise all my cds once, the cds from magazine no problems but original cd/dvd? No shot. Yeah maybe the adequate software is a sensitive topic, maybe search engine optimised off the map by bullshit... In any case I was not able to creat ISO of even really old games, like commandos or deus ex. It's not aomething easy to do nor is there an abundance of info.

I think the solution would not be half bad, sadly disks are dead, so I'll sooner see them introduce a new savemedium for DRM than have disks make a comeback.
let

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163529 on: September 13, 2023, 12:22:58 pm »

Welp. I guess it's that time in a game engine cycle where monetization nonsense leads to a new (financial) low-end engine popularizing. You had a good run, unity, it'll be neat to see what replaces you :V

Godot engine would like a word!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines
Pages: 1 ... 10900 10901 [10902] 10903 10904 ... 11040