Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10895 10896 [10897] 10898 10899 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573577 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163440 on: August 24, 2023, 10:21:12 am »

we had a somewhat isolated thunderstorm over in salt lake yesterday

MASSIVE torrential whiteout conditions on the freeway, inches of standing water

and people are just flying by at like 50mph without their lights or hazards on while I'm blinking along at 25mph

and you couldn't see more than four or five car lengths ahead and they're just crossing lanes and pulling trailers and by GOD they just have to get their 8pm Swig or so help them

and, uh, Utah doesn't get rain like this and nobody knows how the fuck to drive in it

god, the drivers here are horrible. i conclude they are only Really Fucking Nice People if they're trying to sell you something (the new New Testament, pesticides, essential oils, etc) and you can't sell stuff from your $70,000 Tesla or F150 on the freeway so fuck you very much get out of the way so i can get me some Good Christian Chick Fil A and a 32oz noncaffeinated soda

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163441 on: August 24, 2023, 10:26:10 am »

I love all wheel drive.  I understand why people drive the way they do when its slippery and poor visibility, but just the confidence that have 4 tires that charge through the snow/rain is gorgeous.

That said, people are crazy.  Im not at all afraid of overreaching, taking risks, or my own ability.  Im afraid of other people driving.  Much like the internet, you can never convert or account for them all.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163442 on: August 24, 2023, 11:16:22 am »

I'm sure those in hurricane areas will think nothingburger, but we got 4" of rain (100mm) last night over the course of about 4 hours.  My yard flooded as it often does.

The WTF:  I have a spot of wet carpet in my basement.  In the middle of the floor only, so not seeping in from the walls. Crap was it seeping up from a crack in the foundation? Nope: water coming in from the ceiling.  But only a single tile... and this tile is "in the middle" of the room, underneath the upstairs.

There is a vent that exits onto our deck, which I never knew its source.  The wind must've pushed the rain into the vent, because the duct to which the vent is connected is full of water, and that is leaking int my basement.

Now I have to figure out... to what does the vent go? Can I just plug it up?  It's a soft vent line, definitely not part of HVAC... but I can't tell where it goes.

Do you have a shower in your basement? Or, perhaps more specifically, anything requiring an extraction fan? Stove or a dryer or something?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163443 on: August 24, 2023, 11:43:45 am »

god, the drivers here are horrible.
A friend of mine often makes a very good point about places where the drivers are reputedly bad: when everyone there routinely gets home all right despite the chaos, that proves the drivers are really good (in being able to manage it), not really bad. Utah's traffic accident statistics show that it's working out fine for them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163444 on: August 24, 2023, 12:00:23 pm »

Why, they only have about twice as many fatal accidents as Massachusetts, which has the best lethal rates in the nation. Utah, 11th in the nation for fatal accidents, must be doing something right!

... wait, no, that doesn't actually preclude them from being horrible drivers, it just means about 4/5ths of the US is worse.

Note to self, though. Drive through mississippi as little as possible. What the actual hell MS.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163445 on: August 24, 2023, 12:37:20 pm »

What people forget about all wheel drive is it primarily gives you a benefit when you are trying to accelerate or maintain speed.  All cars already have "all wheel braking" and "all wheels involved in steering."

To follow up from earlier: Best I can tell is that strange vent line is connected to the cold air return of my HVAC system.  I'm trying to figure out how to confirm.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163446 on: August 24, 2023, 03:54:02 pm »

air spray, maybe? Give it a spritz on one end and see if it stinks up the other.

E: That feeling when you're really sure someone is dead, but. They're not. I could have sworn I saw news Tim Curry died a year or three ago, but no, guy's still around.

Latest KSBD had me think of 'em, Princess is now rocking what's almost an inverted Frank N Furter getup, which mixed with the hair is, just... Curry for Princess VA? Maybe.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:48:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163447 on: August 26, 2023, 06:21:00 pm »

Less of a WTF, more a 'huh, neat but disturbing,' but I found out about African Spiny Mice* and their ability to autotomise their skin when grabbed. Which is to say it falls off like the tails of many lizards do, or the limbs of invertebrates like crabs. Leaves a big wound, but they also regenerate their skin at quite a rapid pace.

I don't know how much skin they can shed it terms of depth but it's enough to include cartilage, sweat glands and hair follicles. If that's the case, then I think they shed their skin down through basically all the dermis at least, which is kind of mental.

*Which are not mice. Apparently their closest relative might be gerbils.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163448 on: August 26, 2023, 06:25:49 pm »

imagine how many prey animals could escape an alligator if they could just shed the skin on the hind leg at will
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163449 on: August 26, 2023, 09:20:31 pm »

imagine how many prey animals could escape an alligator if they could just shed the skin on the hind leg at will
None?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163450 on: August 26, 2023, 09:51:37 pm »

I don't think shedding skin will help you much when the predator has its teeth dug into your muscles or bones

Now if terrestrial vertebrates had like eight legs and they could pop off like lizard tails and then grow back, that might help. But then we'd just have more predators that specialize in ripping legs off and booking it with them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163451 on: August 26, 2023, 09:54:46 pm »

Okay but what if the skin detachment action is explosive. Then you could detonate your explosive reactive skin and blow the predator's jaw clean off.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163452 on: August 26, 2023, 10:22:52 pm »

… and yourself with it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163453 on: August 26, 2023, 10:27:14 pm »

Okay, but the likelihood of life developing shaped charges that don't blow your leg clean off, or launch bone shards into your guts, is low to nil. And what's to stop a zebra's legs from blowing up if it, say, jumped off a short ledge or simply after jumping into the air and landing again? If the pressure to trigger the chemical reaction isnt high enough, it could trigger in day-to-day life, and if its too high, predators that crush bone will be selected out but predators that just cause evisceration or use venom will take over. Or just frighten the prey into blowing its own legs off. Or worse, trigger the evolution of intelligent predators sooner, that just wack them in the leg with a stick from a safe distance.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163454 on: August 27, 2023, 01:46:41 am »

What evidence do you have to support the theory that evolution would be unable to develop safe biological ERA provided the correct selection pressures. Which is consciously activated, not through pressure, duh. :D
Pages: 1 ... 10895 10896 [10897] 10898 10899 ... 11041