Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10892 10893 [10894] 10895 10896 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14575174 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163395 on: August 15, 2023, 06:02:25 am »

Eh, to understand conspiracy theories, just watch some of the flat earther stuff.  Some of the people are clearly on controlled substances. The others are... well I don't even know, maybe just jumping on a bandwagon for attention?  For instance, there is a guy who thinks the fact that when you see the moon during the day, the part that isn't lit should be black, so the fact that it's sky-colored is evidence that the moon is closer than the sky.

To borrow Babbage again: "I cannot comprehend the confusion of ideas which would provoke" such a statement.
Also keep an eye for the antisemitism. That's super prevalent among them, and most of the time it loops back round to "DA JEWZ!"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163396 on: August 15, 2023, 03:30:05 pm »

Got several in one day, I'll list in order of least-to-most severity.

Windows Update woke up and restarted my computer when I wasn't home. I really want it to not do that.

The left controller for my Switch keeps disconnecting, like every second. Not sure what's causing it, but it hard-crashed the console at one point, to the point almost thought I couldn't turn the console off(have to hold the power button for about 20 seconds, a WTF in of itself). It's a relatively new, third-party controller I bought a couple months ago, haven't had any problems with it until now.

My work hours have been cut by half an hour per day. While they said it'd be for the rest of this week besides today, the way my boss phrased it - "it's just for this week, but going forward after that well see what happens" - sounded like it's permanent. The reason for phrasing it that way would likely be to keep people from immediately figuring it out and jumping ship, but it's certainly not the first time I've been fed such a line.

This morning, the house my stepdad's brother and his wife was in the process of being evicted from(but is owned by other family members) burned down around 4:00-4:30AM. The house is about half a mile from my house, and I was able to smell it from here. Notably, the first thing I noticed was a powerful sulfur smell, like a box of matches going up. It was strong enough that I thought my own house or one of the neighbors was burning. The owners went on Facebook claiming it was burnt to the ground - it wasn't that bad, my mom and I drove by it on the way home from work - and claimed it was arson; their exact words were "we hope they catch the shitbags who did this". It could not have been my stepdad's brother, as he was hospitalized for mental reasons yesterday. Also confusing me is that when my mom and I drove by, there was not fire marshal present at the house. You would think that a claim of arson would entail a longer investigation.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163397 on: August 15, 2023, 07:09:54 pm »

Three houses built over an abandoned mine1 explode in PA

Sadness, amazement... yeah WTF.

1The digging for minerals kind, not the warfare kind. I saw some comments that people thought it was the latter.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163398 on: August 15, 2023, 07:16:13 pm »

Gas buildup of some sort in the mine, probably? It's one of those known things that make dealing with the aftermath of those things troublesome.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163399 on: August 15, 2023, 07:36:34 pm »

Apparently there were “active natural gas wells” only like 300 yards away.

Rhetorical of course but…. why would you permit anyone to build houses over a mine and let people drill for gas, setting up a situation for gas to build up?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 03:30:11 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163401 on: August 17, 2023, 04:12:30 pm »

Compressor went down a few days ago at work. It's back up now, but the air lines are full of water. When I shut my machine off today, it spit at me.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163402 on: August 17, 2023, 04:12:47 pm »

I just realised a disturbing thing about myself. I have internalised the fact that millions of people, all across the world, want me dead. Like, this incredibly scary thing is normal to me.

This, just because I exist. Like, why?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163403 on: August 17, 2023, 04:50:49 pm »

...Because apparently, fanaticism is the new normal these days.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163404 on: August 17, 2023, 04:58:15 pm »

It's both better and worse than that. They don't want you personally to be eliminated, because they don't know you. They have simply de-humanized all "others" and lumped you in with that.

What makes this "better" is that you can combat that type of thinking is to actually get people to know each other, to re-humanize people.  You can get people to be on your side, when they realize you're not a statistic, but an individual.

It's actually rare for people that actually know people, to harbor such malice.  Usually if malice remains, it's because of specific ills or they think you're a jerk or something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163405 on: August 17, 2023, 04:58:34 pm »

These days? I'm pretty sure mag's noting that due to being somewhere on the lgbt spectrum. Decades or centuries ago, the raw number might have been lower but the relative proportion was almost certainly higher. Nothing new about it, sadly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163406 on: August 17, 2023, 07:28:52 pm »

That's true for everyone, though.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163407 on: August 18, 2023, 09:51:17 am »

I just realised a disturbing thing about myself. I have internalised the fact that millions of people, all across the world, want me dead. Like, this incredibly scary thing is normal to me.

I mean, considering how many extremist groups there are, I am pretty sure that just about everybody falls into a "to be exterminated" category for some of them.
So even weirder, pretty much everybody is wanted dead by many other people.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163408 on: August 18, 2023, 10:04:33 am »

Not me. I'm universally loved.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163409 on: August 18, 2023, 01:49:24 pm »

I mean, considering how many extremist groups there are, I am pretty sure that just about everybody falls into a "to be exterminated" category for some of them.
So even weirder, pretty much everybody is wanted dead by many other people.

Oh, okay...

Then I definitely have a higher Wanted-Dead Score than you.

Not me. I'm universally loved.

So your Wanted-Dead Score is 0? Loooooseeeer!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 10892 10893 [10894] 10895 10896 ... 11041