Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10886 10887 [10888] 10889 10890 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14575179 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163305 on: August 03, 2023, 08:28:15 pm »

Must be some odd information… you can easily buy and watch Gone with the Wind here in the USA.  Maybe there was a call to boycott it or something… but there’s no legal “forbidding” of it here.

There are often cries to ban books, but they only ever amount to token gestures.  Even the stuff you see about Florida or Texas banning books - that just means schools funded by the government can’t have them; they don’t force stores to stop selling them.

About the only way you can get in legal trouble for stuff like books or movies in the US is if it involves people under 18 years of age in certain scenarios, you’re violating copyright, or you violate some confidentiality law.  Everything else is basically fair game.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163306 on: August 03, 2023, 08:34:01 pm »

I'm not even sure if there's a meaningful call to boycott it, just more people bringing awareness to the fact it's full of racist twaddle and was written by a lost causer jackass. Less "you mustn't read/watch it" and more "it and the author's both kinda' shit, you're better off finding something else to do with your time".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163307 on: August 03, 2023, 08:58:48 pm »

Totally obsessed by this story , I think it is important for me to get to understand the great meaning of Scarlett’s growth but not to focus on the racial discrimination point of it.
I thought that when the author wrote the book there may not exist racial discrimination 🤷‍♂️ . In our country most people are the Han nationality . So it’s easy for me to enjoy this book but not to consider the racial problem
From where my stands,I thought that it’s improper to change the history , for example, in the film Hamilton the founding fathers were shot by black for just BLM
Maybe my point is not so politically proper welcoming your correspondent.

问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163308 on: August 03, 2023, 09:15:02 pm »

I thought that when the author wrote the book there may not exist racial discrimination 🤷‍♂️ .
lol

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163309 on: August 03, 2023, 09:19:41 pm »

I thought that when the author wrote the book there may not exist racial discrimination 🤷‍♂️ .
lol
Um you may not understand me ,what I want to say is that the motion of blm may not be so horrible that it can effect the government and culture in the US during the previous time.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163310 on: August 03, 2023, 10:05:35 pm »

lol
Um you may not understand me ,what I want to say is that the motion of blm may not be so horrible that it can effect the government and culture in the US during the previous time.
BLM as a movement only started in 2013, whereas racial discrimination basically built America and permeates everything to varying degrees. Pretty sure the last person born into slavery in the US died in the 1980s, and it’s still within living memory that laws were in place to keep non-whites down, and even now there are issues around how black history gets taught.

Folks understand that these days, though they tend to take it to the extremes (calling for banning things rather than disclaimers saying “the stuff in this doesn’t meet the standards of modern sensitivities” or some such) but the conversations around them should still be had.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163311 on: August 04, 2023, 11:49:13 am »

You know, I find it sort of funny. Slavery was practiced for a long time in a lot of places. Culture changes.

If we wanted to only keep books that are not evil by current standards, we would have to burn all books older than 100 years or so, and do it continuosly. (Except many, but not all, manuals and similar guide books.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163312 on: August 04, 2023, 12:28:07 pm »

Must be some odd information… you can easily buy and watch Gone with the Wind here in the USA.  Maybe there was a call to boycott it or something… but there’s no legal “forbidding” of it here.

For your information, many streaming services removed "Gone with the Wind" from their catalogues due to the public outcry. And it's not the only piece of media that's been removed from streaming due to politics.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163313 on: August 04, 2023, 12:34:32 pm »

Sure but that's just some streaming services. You can still buy it, rent it, borrow it, whatever you want, easily.  It wasn't government making it illegal.

It's like the Dr. Seuss stuff - the owner/publisher just stopped distributing it. It doesn't make it "illegal", they didn't send around the robot dogs1 to destroy all copies in existence.

There's a pretty significant difference...

1If you don't know this reference, we'll have a difficult time conversing  ;D.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163314 on: August 04, 2023, 05:15:13 pm »

Robot dogs was the best part about that book, I was horrified when I sat through the boring movie and there was no robot dogs. I kept telling my sister "it's gonna get better", but mostly never did.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163315 on: August 04, 2023, 09:15:15 pm »

Totally obsessed by this story , I think it is important for me to get to understand the great meaning of Scarlett’s growth but not to focus on the racial discrimination point of it.
I thought that when the author wrote the book there may not exist racial discrimination 🤷‍♂️ . In our country most people are the Han nationality . So it’s easy for me to enjoy this book but not to consider the racial problem
From where my stands,I thought that it’s improper to change the history , for example, in the film Hamilton the founding fathers were shot by black for just BLM

I will repeat what others have said in other terms in case you have trouble understanding them -- Gone with the Wind is not banned in the USA but it is now considered more skeptically by the public. This is because it has themes regarding race which are problematic, engaging in an overly romantic image of the American South which whitewashes the reality and ignores the true experiences of a large population living there. This is a real issue for using it in teaching people about this time period in the South. As a result of a desire to present a more accurate and complete history of America, this story is taught alongside a discussion of its problems, and is also just found to be less appropriate in places where it might not be consumed critically and skeptically. This does not mean the story has no literary merit. It is in the first place about the development of the character Scarlett O'Hara due to her experiences in the post-war South. The movement around it is not to make it disappear entirely but to foster an understanding of this context around it.

This movement is just a small part of a larger push to fight America's cultural legacy of racism which causes real consequences for real Black people today. You could call this "antiracism." This has existed for a long time. Black Lives Matter is an organization which focuses on stopping police violence against Black communities in particular, which was founded around 2014.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163316 on: August 04, 2023, 09:26:01 pm »

I will repeat what others have said in other terms in case you have trouble understanding them -- Gone with the Wind is not banned in the USA but it is now considered more skeptically by the public. This is because it has themes regarding race which are problematic, engaging in an overly romantic image of the American South which whitewashes the reality and ignores the true experiences of a large population living there. This is a real issue for using it in teaching people about this time period in the South. As a result of a desire to present a more accurate and complete history of America, this story is taught alongside a discussion of its problems, and is also just found to be less appropriate in places where it might not be consumed critically and skeptically. This does not mean the story has no literary merit. It is in the first place about the development of the character Scarlett O'Hara due to her experiences in the post-war South. The movement around it is not to make it disappear entirely but to foster an understanding of this context around it.

This movement is just a small part of a larger push to fight America's cultural legacy of racism which causes real consequences for real Black people today. You could call this "antiracism." This has existed for a long time. Black Lives Matter is an organization which focuses on stopping police violence against Black communities in particular, which was founded around 2014.

It is also worth emphasizing that the degree to which it is "suppressed" comes entirely from market forces and the decisions of the rights owners. There is no government mandate whatsoever, and such a government mandate would probably be illegal in this country - even exclusion from government-owned facilities like libraries is legally iffy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163317 on: August 04, 2023, 09:30:00 pm »

Yes, it's the public attitude which has changed.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163318 on: August 04, 2023, 09:52:54 pm »

and even now there are issues around how black history gets taught.
Yeah, been hearing some not-so-great things from Florida on that count.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163319 on: August 04, 2023, 09:54:40 pm »

and even now there are issues around how black history gets taught.
Yeah, been hearing some not-so-great things from Florida on that count.
I'm surprised they don't have robot dogs...
Pages: 1 ... 10886 10887 [10888] 10889 10890 ... 11041