Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10874 10875 [10876] 10877 10878 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572071 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163125 on: July 11, 2023, 05:07:14 pm »

Because of course providing size to the nearest 0,1mm is important!  ::)

It actually is. It is the easiest way to make sure you're complying with the regulations of all countries you might be dealing with. Particularly in the case you mention, because the metric measurement is the one that is most often cared about.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163126 on: July 11, 2023, 05:13:10 pm »

I can imagine a situation where I'm inconvenienced by a fan being 8 millimeters wider than specified, so I'd say yeah that's for the best. Better to give the most precise measure, yeah.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163127 on: July 11, 2023, 05:23:46 pm »

My 52" diameter ceiling fan has, not surprisingly, both English and Spanish text on the packaging.

The WTF is that people just blindly apply conversion factors: the box says it's a "132,08 cm" diameter fan.

Because of course providing size to the nearest 0,1mm is important!  ::)

(Mostly it's just another sign of people being lazy in very simple aspects of life.  Details matter, even when they "don't!")

You have found what may just be the weirdest hill to die on.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163128 on: July 11, 2023, 05:45:01 pm »

No, this is a more weird hill (where are they, anyway?):

I can imagine a situation where I'm inconvenienced by a fan being 8 millimeters wider than specified, so I'd say yeah that's for the best. Better to give the most precise measure, yeah.

As my high school physics teacher said: "What's an order of magnitude among friends? Minus 1 point!"  (Read closely! It wasn't 8 mm...)

Spoiler: pedantry (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163129 on: July 11, 2023, 05:57:07 pm »

Starting to wonder if this cat has issues with object permanence or something. Like, earlier was more understandable, but she's nearly a year old and still basically incapable of recognizing the dog after a grooming trip, despite having experienced the process several times at this point.

On one hand it's kinda' funny to see her bow up and be terrified of something she was trying to play with a few hours earlier, but on the other hand this period where I have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't try to kill each other when the dog acts normally and the cat has no idea what the hell this thing is that's getting close to her and attacks is getting kinda' annoying.

Dunno if it's the reduced hair, bath, or smell of other dogs/cats at the groomer or what, but the cat is just... completely incapable of recognizing the dog after he's been shaved down.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #163130 on: July 12, 2023, 06:47:49 am »

Burger King in Thailand introduces REAL CHEESEBURGER.

This is literally a joke item I’d make in Papa’s Burgeria like a decade ago.
20 SLICES OF PROCESSED CHEESE
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163131 on: July 12, 2023, 11:11:04 am »

I mean, I've ate stuff like that before, too, yeah. Monocheese is boring as hell, though, if you're making the god sandwich of cheese mountain you gotta' have a bunch of different kinds of cheese in there. Different preps, too, get shredded cheese in there, those little cheese cubes, drizzle cheese sauce over it, etc. The attempt is appreciated but the execution, disappointing.
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163132 on: July 12, 2023, 03:32:05 pm »

Huw Edwards!?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163133 on: July 12, 2023, 04:03:06 pm »

Dream brain just decided to wake me up from nap by presenting within the dream, the "Infinitely Complex Hyperzebra". As might be deduced from the name, it's a self-propagating/expanding >3d (initially) hypercube shaped zebra. My head kinda' hurts just trying to remember what it looks like, but it shortly ended up sorta' like a ball of yarn made of zebra parts.

Relevant observers on the time of the appearance of the hyperzebra reacted with shock, then abject terror, as its impossible evershifting form became steadily more complex and began to grow -- the implication immediately obvious to all in the dreamspace was that this impossible thing was the end of all things, as it would eventually expand in complexity until all realities could no longer maintain existence under its metaphysical and literal weight.

... anyway, it came to be because someone had a sort of low-level magic transforming tool thing. The original owner was just using to do simple stuff like rope, but then they gave it to someone else and things took a turn for impossible geometries. Pray we never actually manage to observe the terrible majesty of the infinitely complex hyperzebra.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163134 on: July 13, 2023, 01:46:33 am »

I mean, I've ate stuff like that before, too, yeah. Monocheese is boring as hell, though, if you're making the god sandwich of cheese mountain you gotta' have a bunch of different kinds of cheese in there. Different preps, too, get shredded cheese in there, those little cheese cubes, drizzle cheese sauce over it, etc. The attempt is appreciated but the execution, disappointing.
Yeah. Literally go three cheese minimum and you got a beast sandwich

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163135 on: July 13, 2023, 03:19:54 am »

If you're gonna make a sandwich from pure cheese you gotta at least make it from good cheese, not that processes shit.

Infinitely Complex Hyperzebra
That sounds pretty cool but at the same time it sounds terrifying.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163136 on: July 13, 2023, 06:51:30 am »

I had a nightmare yesterday that I became the translator of the president Xi and chatted with the Ukrainian president Zelenskyy. I made an incredible mistake that made my contry caught in the whrilpool of war .
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163137 on: July 13, 2023, 07:43:54 am »

I had a nightmare yesterday that I became the translator of the president Xi and chatted with the Ukrainian president Zelenskyy. I made an incredible mistake that made my contry caught in the whrilpool of war .
That sucks man, but if it makes you feel better - something like this nearly happened before between NATO and the USSR!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163138 on: July 13, 2023, 09:36:54 am »

... in the process of machine translating a pokemon mod for a fairly niche indie game (Legend Creatures, the mod's the most subscribed one on the steam workshop, heh), I've discovered that bulbapedia is, like... incredibly thorough? Doing an edit check to make the pokemon abilities match official english terminology, I'm finding some swarm of dedicated people have dutifully included the chinese names of every single move, ability, and so on, in the entire series. You can plug in the name of a move in basically any language that pokemon's been officially released in and search will cheerfully pull up whatever the thing is in english.

It's incredibly helpful at this juncture and I wish I had noticed before starting the initial edit pass instead of after I'd spent hours puzzling over google's output to match stuff with officially localized terms, but mostly it's just kinda' good-weird folks have actually been that careful about adding information to the wiki. It had to involve several thousand pages worth of edits and additions, which is a hell of a lot of effort for such a relatively small addition to a primarily english language wiki.
Ask not!
Ask!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163139 on: July 13, 2023, 11:00:25 am »

Plated copper relief.

When did we ever consider zinc or lead more noble than copper?!

No it must be tin, which surprisingly is more expensive than copper actually, which means the layer of oxides and filth between them must be bronze, that's pretty cool actually... how weird to use copper for the structural integrity and tin for the finish, how weird that it doesnt stick more than it does.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 11:14:02 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10874 10875 [10876] 10877 10878 ... 11040