Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10872 10873 [10874] 10875 10876 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571287 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163095 on: July 02, 2023, 09:13:10 pm »

Would note that there's a Tiktok trend out there of people going around to the homeless and buying them a bunch of stuff, including bikes, tents, sleeping bags, etc...

Not saying the homeless are spending much time on Tiktok but, it's a thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163096 on: July 03, 2023, 03:22:50 am »

I mean, I will never not be against buying things for the destitute if you have the cash. That's not the point :P

I've personally settled on a "never give beggars a cent again" rule for myself after having ended up feeling ashamed of having been taken advantage of one time too many. I still feel bad about that too, because it hurts people who aren't trying to exploit my wish to help, but I am just not capable of dealing with bad actors. They can make out that I'm a gullible fool and a mark at sight, and once they hook me they just reel me in.
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163097 on: July 04, 2023, 12:12:16 am »

I mean, I will never not be against buying things for the destitute if you have the cash. That's not the point :P

scriver the triple-negative villain arc
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163098 on: July 04, 2023, 05:05:21 am »

I was wondering why my laptop fans were working overtime, with no heavy programs running.

Turns out Steam decided to download the 40GB update for Elite Dangerous
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163099 on: July 04, 2023, 06:05:11 am »

If you're worried about hobos taking advantage of your kindness I say do what I do and don't give them any bill with a double digit number, it's enough to say that you helped them but not enough for them to use on drugs or something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163100 on: July 06, 2023, 09:05:22 am »

TIL:
  • A poll showed a majority of Swedes want to ban the burning of holy texts, effectively an anti-blasphemy law.
  • Finland already has one!
  • 44 US state governors have absurd and abusable line-item veto powers.
What the absolute fuck is this timeline?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #163101 on: July 06, 2023, 10:59:54 am »

It's a timeline where the prime racist movement (and racist party) of Sweden has chosen muslims are their primary target (yes, muslims aren't a ethic group to be racist against per-se, but arabs, somali, turks, etc. are). As such there have been islamophobic protests and guys like Rasmus Paludan who hold to Quaran-burning dearly as part of their show. The Quaran-burning could thus be considered incitement to ethnic or racial hatred ("hets mot folkgrupp"), which is illegal already.

Of course, this is complicated by the government desperately wanting to join NATO, because not only is that in line with their general goals and a promise from the last election, but their popularity is looking terrible after failing various other promises, and the whole recession and inflation deal. Failing to get into NATO could very well be the nail in their coffin. Their problem is that Erdogan the Islamist blocking them, citing e.g. the Quaran burning as a reason. Such a law could thus be considered appeasement to Erdogan, so they could hopefully put this whole embarrassment behind them, and unite the country against the evil Rus.

(complicated further by the racist party who are pro-Quaran-burnings being partnered up with the same government, and them having considerable influence over the government's policies)

But yeah, its a fuck.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163102 on: July 06, 2023, 12:03:11 pm »

It's really no worse than in the past, we're just better informed.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #163103 on: July 06, 2023, 12:22:21 pm »

Sweden has definitely gotten worse the past 15 years. The world as a whole... eh, I dunno. It will be in a bad spot if climate change continues at this rate. Gotta do something about that.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #163104 on: July 06, 2023, 12:34:30 pm »

Yeah, especially the situation with far-right movements in Europe is definitely far worse than 15 years ago.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163105 on: July 06, 2023, 01:51:38 pm »

I mean 15 years ago, we had Obama as president…
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163106 on: July 06, 2023, 02:04:13 pm »

15 years ago we had people saying he shouldn’t be president because he was black not born in America.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163107 on: July 06, 2023, 02:40:03 pm »

I hate ersoğan.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163108 on: July 06, 2023, 04:26:51 pm »

• A poll showed a majority of Swedes want to ban the burning of holy texts, effectively an anti-blasphemy law.
  • Finland already has one!
Particular ever since I started working at a library, that one's started making me look at it extra funny. The material issue with book burning bans is, well... disposal.

There's this thing where books start falling apart and you can't really do much with them and... well, burning is one of the better ways of dealing with book-related waste, especially en masse. Holy texts in particular see huge amounts of production (and subsequent excess and waste). Not being able to legally fry the ones that need to be got got is a non-negligible logistics issue, and somehow I doubt these initiatives really think things through that far, y'know?

Though it does occur to me, if you want to make a rather pointed protest of that sort of thing, load up a few dump trucks with old bibles or whatev' that need disposal and just... dump them in front of the relevant government building or something. Let folks see a visual representation of the issue of having probably literal tons of texts that can't be read and need be dealt with :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163109 on: July 06, 2023, 05:11:17 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. The most common ways to dispose of unusable books are to either pulp them into slurry to make new paper, or grind them up for insulation. These are commercially viable enterprises, to the point where there's multiple companies that buy books en masse from libraries and thrift stores for the purpose (usually with an intermediate "see how many we can sell on Amazon" step to recoup as much money as possible). Burning is just totally wasteful.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10872 10873 [10874] 10875 10876 ... 11040