Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10871 10872 [10873] 10874 10875 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571486 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163080 on: July 01, 2023, 12:46:10 pm »

Its all part of the business cycle though.  Reddit offers free access in order to spur traffic, then removes the 'free' part when theyre getting ready to try to IPO.

Everyone does it.  Apple's app store did it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163081 on: July 01, 2023, 01:07:13 pm »

I got played today, for a not-insignificant amount of money. Beggar chick asked if I could pay for some groceries for her, to which I said sure, and she ended up stuffing a basket full to the brim with all sorts of shit. Like, sure, I get it... When you first find someone willing to foot the bill, you're gonna want to stock up... Like with four full bottles of shampoo... But if you then say ask at the register if it's okay if you grab yourself a drink, and then come back a while later with three bars of chocolate, two bags of candy, a bottle of Axe spray... And an energy drink...

Fuck it. I know I got played. I could've pulled out whenever, but I didn't. I'd just hoped it'd feel better. But whatever, people can buy sanitary pads on my dime, I'm not gonna fight that.

I don't really care what you think Jesus feels about me, I just want to know that you're actually going to use all that stuff and not just turn around and sell it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163082 on: July 01, 2023, 01:10:32 pm »

Gotta be careful who you trust.  But dont ever let others make you feel bad about doing something you believe helped.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163083 on: July 01, 2023, 01:21:20 pm »

Never give a blank check.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163084 on: July 01, 2023, 03:33:10 pm »

I don't think you got played? In essence what was agreed upon ended up being exactly the thing that happened? In essence you agreed to pay strangers groceries, guess they had insane charisma to pass that speech check. Does it really matter if they were homeless, destitute or shameless?

Even when I had little money to spend I allways lived by the motto 50 bucks is totally worth finding out who someone is: they screw you over you know not to spend another nickel or thought. I guess if we take everybody into the discussion in an urban setting, that might become ruinous quickly unless you know how to physically shake them, hope you brought your running shoes lol, especially if the first one manages to squeeze out a multiple of that. That people will take a foot if you give them an inch is to be expected, sadly.

Anyway, she went for it and you didn't establish a boundary when you had enough, what might have been smooth to say is: "hey, my fridge isn't as full as that either, let's move on before I get jealous and we split the bag at the exit". Remember, you can just leave. I- I probably shouldn't mention in but I seem to recall some stuff you shared years back, and the cosmetic products might have given me sort of a cosmic giggle in that situation.

Ironically, if you didn't care if she spent it on drugs or gambling or what have you, it would have been way simpler to set a limit. On the brightside I doubt she is undercutting the supermarket shampoo, whom to, other beggars? A sorority of lazy bums? In a way all equally needy aren't they? Might as well stockpile it and not spend money later?  #strategic Speaking of which if lack of housing was a requirement you might just have raised an eyebrow at the opportune moment to ask "refrigeration?"... In any case if they try to make a scen,e again, you can just leave, if that's too hard/ being made to hard... you can be passive aggressive: "sigh, I'm neither rich nor do I have time for this game, also you just used up all of my trust" take twenty quid fold them into a ball "whats better? the pidgeon on the roof or the sparrow in the hand?" toss ball of money way, preferably behind or under a shelf, actually run away. I mean it seems you had time to come up with something ^^? I know I'm writing showerarguments again... but to bring it to completion: she followes you instead of going for the money, I would full on go on the offensive: "YOU SPIT ON TWENTY QUIDS? YOU ARE NO BEGGAR STAY YOUR DISTANCE BONNIE!" Come on now you wouldn't make a fool of yourself in public like that, that shit is reserved to me, and I don't enjoy it either. It was probably one of the better outcomes. You still got your banccontact card, right :P?!
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163085 on: July 02, 2023, 03:26:36 am »

That's why if a beggar asks for something I've always handed them cash in small bills.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163086 on: July 02, 2023, 11:31:17 am »

Jeez zultan at least hand them regular sized bills that they can pay for things with
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163087 on: July 02, 2023, 11:42:41 am »

Gfycat is going down on September 1, and all GIFs are going bye-bye.

It seems 2023 isn't a good year for websites.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163088 on: July 02, 2023, 11:44:21 am »

That's terrible. Where will I get my gifs now?
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163089 on: July 02, 2023, 11:56:08 am »

I suppose you could get them from Imgur—oh wait, that's going to shit as well.

Self-/P2P hosting on IPFS? It's static content, just need to run a node for upload and/or someone willing to run an IPFS gateway for hyperlinking 'cause gods know browser companies aren't going to implement native IPFS support anytime soon.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163090 on: July 02, 2023, 01:32:53 pm »

I got played today, for a not-insignificant amount of money. Beggar chick asked if I could pay for some groceries for her, to which I said sure, and she ended up stuffing a basket full to the brim with all sorts of shit. Like, sure, I get it... When you first find someone willing to foot the bill, you're gonna want to stock up... Like with four full bottles of shampoo... But if you then say ask at the register if it's okay if you grab yourself a drink, and then come back a while later with three bars of chocolate, two bags of candy, a bottle of Axe spray... And an energy drink...

Fuck it. I know I got played. I could've pulled out whenever, but I didn't. I'd just hoped it'd feel better. But whatever, people can buy sanitary pads on my dime, I'm not gonna fight that.

I don't really care what you think Jesus feels about me, I just want to know that you're actually going to use all that stuff and not just turn around and sell it.
Yeah, had a similar situation early in transition.  I was in Wal-Mart of all places, against my convictions, looking to buy some cheap makeup for experimenting with.  So I was in a very nervous mental state already.  This lady with shaky English approached me and asked for help to buy supplies for her baby.

I was on a really tight budget that month so I ended up giving her a $10 I think, but IIRC we made it a good way towards the checkout before I realized how much she was hoping I'd buy.

What a shitty situation, especially for her.  Capitalism sucks.
(but yes I do think we were both "played".  I get it, is all.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #163091 on: July 02, 2023, 03:35:58 pm »

This Doom 2 wad (MyHouse.wad) and a video about it (video contains spoilers). Totally mind blown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0&t=1s

This is fucking insane. Never seen anything like that done in Doom. Just layers upon layers of confusing stuff in a at first seemingly innocent mod of some guys house. Apparently heavily inspired by the House of Leaves.

For once I'm glad I clicked a random Youtube suggestion.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #163092 on: July 02, 2023, 04:10:16 pm »

Wow, the work of an absolute doom mapping genius master of portals and teleport !

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163093 on: July 02, 2023, 04:39:14 pm »

On the brightside I doubt she is undercutting the supermarket shampoo, whom to, other beggars? A sorority of lazy bums?

If they're conscience-less enough to take advantage of people's charity then I wouldn't put wringing out their down-on-their-luck fellows for money either, unfortunately.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163094 on: July 02, 2023, 04:59:12 pm »

hey Indiana old, my policy is to point them to the nearest soup kitchen, or food pantry. You see a lot of grifting going on in certain places. And I'm not gonna tell you not to help people out bad you want to or feel for, but when you need money, or food, you tend to learn really quickly and really well what sells to people.  Especially if you do it all day

in general, I think actually giving them physical food is better than giving the money, because at least you know that the food will be used as food. Even if they end up selling it for whatever they're doing, the ideas to make it harder for people to abuse your charity, while still giving private charity

as far as people taking a mile when you give an inch, you just have to say no. Anyone truly hard up will respect a firm no, and I find it more the scammers who try to instigate for more
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10871 10872 [10873] 10874 10875 ... 11040