Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10868 10869 [10870] 10871 10872 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570372 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163035 on: June 25, 2023, 10:35:27 pm »

I mean, they're wrong if it helps you feel better. The potential energy change of a fusion reaction is independent of the gravitational field. The gravitstional field helps compress the agents so they reach the activation energy more often. It's definitely theoretically possible.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163036 on: June 25, 2023, 10:35:56 pm »

There are few people more confident than those who know a little about physics and think they know a lot.

For the record, energy positive fusion is possible under the laws of physics regardless of local gravity. Our inability to yet produce such reactions is more a limitation of our knowledge of exactly how it works than it does any fundamental challenge.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163037 on: June 25, 2023, 10:36:51 pm »

Here’s me happy I figured out how to play the melody of “If You’re Happy and You Know It”.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163038 on: June 25, 2023, 10:47:21 pm »

I mean, they're wrong if it helps you feel better. The potential energy change of a fusion reaction is independent of the gravitational field. The gravitstional field helps compress the agents so they reach the activation energy more often. It's definitely theoretically possible.

Its more than theoretically possible; it's a well established technology
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163039 on: June 25, 2023, 11:01:13 pm »

They started throwing around as many complex-sounding science words as they could in the reply alongside the weird nit-pickiness. As someone who's done that before, I could tell that was them flailing a bit.

Although their logic seemed to be that to emulate the effects of gravity (I assume whether by shooting lasers or slamming the particles together at high speed or whatever) would require more energy input than you could ever get out of fusion. Again, not theoretically, they said with 100% certainty that it would never, ever *ever* occur.

Like, I'm not exactly a physics genius. Barely passed the AS level, but there's people way smarter than me saying it's possible which generally inclines me towards thinking it is.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163040 on: June 25, 2023, 11:04:26 pm »

But its the wrong debate. Net positive fusion is totally achievable on Earth, and has been done for decades (ie: fusion weapons). The problem is how to turn that from a weapon into an energy source, which is an engineering problem. Now, any given particular solution may or may not work, but I don't think the thermodynamics angle makes sense
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:08:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163041 on: June 25, 2023, 11:12:27 pm »

I dunno. They may have been meaning a specific form of fusion reaction/reactor? Or they think they know more than they do? Or I tried to correct them and they had a bit of a pride-induced freak.

*shrug*

No skin off my back, and it made me delete my account immediately after making it so it's saved me interacting with Reddit until I give in to the temptation again. In all a confused net positive.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did have a moment of maybe-stupidity in my explanation as a result of overreaching beyond my knowledge and running off what I'd quickly looked up, which might have egged them on a bit that my whole premise was bunk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:17:24 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163042 on: June 26, 2023, 01:27:08 am »

People think gravity is such a strong force. In actuality it is many, many, many orders of magnitude weaker than the electromagnetic force. Gravity is only strong because planets and stars are huge. It is totally possible to emulate the conditions in the Sun's core via magnets and/or lasers.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163043 on: June 26, 2023, 02:40:11 am »

"Lol" said the Black Hole, "Lmao"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163044 on: June 26, 2023, 03:09:34 am »

I say we use the fusion bombs to push big rocks up the mountain, then tie the rocks to a pully and drop 'em down a mineshaft. There's your fusion energy right there.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163045 on: June 26, 2023, 05:51:53 am »

I say that we tie the fusion bombs to a rock and then have an eagle come every day to tear out and eat it's liver, which it will heal every night. That's your fusion energy right there.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163046 on: June 26, 2023, 08:02:43 am »

What about harnessing the power of sisyphean torments from the Underworld to generate clean energy? Get Sisyphus to run on a treadmill for all of time.

We would need more people to anger the Olympians though, Sisyphus alone can't power much.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163047 on: June 26, 2023, 08:20:44 am »

-Humans like boiling water
-By boiling water they discovered how to use steam engines to power great machines
-They used these great machines to harvest coal to burn and boil more water
-They discovered they could use this coal to boil water to make electricity people could use to boil water at home without needing to burn coal
-Whilst burning coal to avoid burning coal to boil water they discovered that burning coal was generally shite and also running out of coal so time to burn oil and gas to boil water to make electricity to power the water boilers
-Begin to reach new technological heights. Learn how to harness the power of the atom by using nuclear fission to boil water to make steam to spin turbines to generate electricity to boil water

fast forwards 1,000 years
-Humanity is boiling water using the accretion disc of a singularity generator in order to boil water

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163048 on: June 26, 2023, 08:35:03 am »

Maybe the height of sophistication is just leaving your water for tea out under the big bang to boil it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163049 on: June 26, 2023, 09:07:52 am »

-Humans like boiling water
-By boiling water they discovered how to use steam engines to power great machines
-They used these great machines to harvest coal to burn and boil more water
-They discovered they could use this coal to boil water to make electricity people could use to boil water at home without needing to burn coal
-Whilst burning coal to avoid burning coal to boil water they discovered that burning coal was generally shite and also running out of coal so time to burn oil and gas to boil water to make electricity to power the water boilers
-Begin to reach new technological heights. Learn how to harness the power of the atom by using nuclear fission to boil water to make steam to spin turbines to generate electricity to boil water

fast forwards 1,000 years
-Humanity is boiling water using the accretion disc of a singularity generator in order to boil water
Lol.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10868 10869 [10870] 10871 10872 ... 11040