Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10867 10868 [10869] 10870 10871 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570414 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163020 on: June 20, 2023, 02:56:36 pm »

We had a little heart-to-heart, the problem is mostly me not speaking up when I'm upset and unduly carrying the emotional burden instead of speaking up to alleviate concerns and share that burden; 'are we okay' is not a qualifier about the state of our relationship when it's frequently asked. Much of what went wrong was just bad timing.

She wasn't keen when I asked to go over what went well/poorly at the end of the day and recommends therapy. Which would probably be good anyways, since past trauma is still a bitch.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163021 on: June 20, 2023, 03:57:57 pm »

She wasn't keen when I asked to go over what went well/poorly at the end of the day and recommends therapy.

Like...couples therapy? Or just "You" therapy? Because I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like a supportive response to me. "The problem isn't me or "us", it's you" is a common deflection tactic.

If you guys are able to talk it out, good. Just don't throw yourself under the bus. From an outside perspective there is definitely an imbalance between you and if her only response to that is "you've got issues you need to work out" then that's still a red flag to me. Remember: you have your shit together, she does not. She needs you financially, you don't need her. I would keep that in the forefront of your mind as you work through whether you're overreacting or not.

edit

But I should say that I'm getting one side of the conversation here and it's more nuanced than that, so I shouldn't be overly harsh. Just trying to help you remember that, relationship or not, you always have your own best interests to consider.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:28:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163022 on: June 20, 2023, 06:58:56 pm »

We had a little heart-to-heart, the problem is mostly me not speaking up when I'm upset and unduly carrying the emotional burden instead of speaking up to alleviate concerns and share that burden; 'are we okay' is not a qualifier about the state of our relationship when it's frequently asked. Much of what went wrong was just bad timing.

She wasn't keen when I asked to go over what went well/poorly at the end of the day and recommends therapy. Which would probably be good anyways, since past trauma is still a bitch.

Sounds like you need to complain more, not less.  But timing is important, yeah.

Temporary imbalances are normal.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163023 on: June 20, 2023, 10:14:19 pm »

Pro-tip: DO NOT EVER FLY THROUGH NEW YORK. For having the busiest international airport into America, they sure seem very surprised by the volume of passengers. Spent two hours standing in various queues in a sweltering hot airport, and the staff were being very bloody draconian about making every single person go through their miles of ropes off queuing areas.

Also don’t fly with a baby. Coming from the US two weeks ago, all the little fluids and such we brought for child were fine. Evidently we either got rules Nazi or it was asinine application of the rules day when we came back. Can’t take the bottle clearly labeled CHILDREN’S TYLENOL because it is 4oz instead of 3.4oz, and you can’t have the ice pack to keep the not-breast-milk-but-still-clearly-milk cold, which you should know is normal milk ‘cause it took you 10 minutes to put it through your stupid machine (I think it’s a spectrometer) which presumably told you it was milk. Turned out not to be a problem because the tyke went through 18oz of it on the six hour flight… ‘cause his teeth were sore.

Now we get the other side of jet-lagged baby, probably waking up ridiculously early instead of staying up ridiculously late.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163024 on: June 20, 2023, 11:48:46 pm »

Pro-tip: DO NOT EVER FLY THROUGH AMERICA
ftfy

Yeah, had a similar experience with American rules being much more strict than the rest of the world's. The problem's not just new York.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #163025 on: June 21, 2023, 12:14:46 am »

I once spent 20 hours in Detroit getting my flight delayed (one hour at a time). The flight was to Green Bay, roughly a 10-12 hour drive, around Lake Michigan.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163026 on: June 21, 2023, 03:20:21 am »

I've noticed flying out of anywhere these days is terrible as it seems like every airport is ruled by its own little Hitler and his gang of rule Nazis.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163027 on: June 21, 2023, 05:37:29 am »

ftfy

Yeah, had a similar experience with American rules being much more strict than the rest of the world's. The problem's not just new York.

It was in the UK they took it off me. I don’t know if it was going through security in a small airport in the US versus an international airport in the UK, but it was patently obvious what the medicine was, and there’s not really any difference between having human milk for a baby and cow’s milk for a baby, being transported in baby bottles.

I once spent 20 hours in Detroit getting my flight delayed (one hour at a time). The flight was to Green Bay, roughly a 10-12 hour drive, around Lake Michigan.

I had a similar experience in another NY airport going to Boston. 16 hour delay, actually getting on the plane before being taken off and being told to go to different gates multiple times, including one time back to the gate the flight was originally supposed to leave from, and then once finally on a plane which was going, we had to wait for an engineer who was traveling to Boston.

I think it’s a few hour drive between the two cities so I don’t really understand why there wasn’t like a replacement bus service.

The only NY airport I don’t remember having a quite horrible experience in was Newark, but the only thing I remember about it was getting free shoe laces.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163028 on: June 21, 2023, 07:55:32 am »

Fucking hell, had that coming back from France once.

Flight was something like 10am. Get up early, drive to the airport, get in.

We don't get called up.

Eventually we try to work out what's happened, turns out the plane's delayed and nobody thought to mention it. It then stays delayed with literally no updates. Eventually, after fucking midnight, we are moved to the plane's terminal...

And we're sent back because there's an issue with the plane's air con so we can't board. They finally decided it wasn't happening and we're taken to a hotel.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163029 on: June 21, 2023, 08:15:09 am »

Explosive highway crash last night. Traffic is rock solid now, even on some side streets. I waited at a light for about ten minutes to turn, and traffic didn't even move enough to make space to turn.

When a big-rig moved forward and blocked the entire intersection, I said screw it and turned around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163030 on: June 21, 2023, 08:24:47 am »

Explosive highway crash last night. Traffic is rock solid now, even on some side streets. I waited at a light for about ten minutes to turn, and traffic didn't even move enough to make space to turn.

When a big-rig moved forward and blocked the entire intersection, I said screw it and turned around.
Sometimes the only wise course of action is to NOPE and u-turn away from such nonsense

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163031 on: June 21, 2023, 04:47:34 pm »

ftfy

It was in the UK they took it off me. I don’t know if it was going through security in a small airport in the US versus an international airport in the UK, but it was patently obvious what the medicine was, and there’s not really any difference between having human milk for a baby and cow’s milk for a baby, being transported in baby bottles.

I had a similar experience in another NY airport going to Boston. 16 hour delay, actually getting on the plane before being taken off and being told to go to different gates multiple times, including one time back to the gate the flight was originally supposed to leave from, and then once finally on a plane which was going, we had to wait for an engineer who was traveling to Boston.

I think it’s a few hour drive between the two cities so I don’t really understand why there wasn’t like a replacement bus service.

The only NY airport I don’t remember having a quite horrible experience in was Newark, but the only thing I remember about it was getting free shoe laces.
Newark's in New Jersey...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163032 on: June 21, 2023, 04:50:59 pm »

https://deadline.com/2023/06/amazon-sued-by-federal-trade-commission-tricked-prime-subscribers-1235421735/amp/

"The FTC has taken a tough line on tech companies during the administration of President Biden. Agency Chair Lina M. Khan took on the role in 2021 after building a career in antitrust law. She has focused on imposing limits on tech firms, enduring backlash from free-market-oriented Republicans. The suit is the FTC’s first against Amazon, with regulatory observers declaring it Khan’s most aggressive move yet. While still a law student in 2017, Khan gained attention for writing a paper titled “Amazon’s Antitrust Paradox,” which was published in the Yale Law Journal."

Her "career" is 4 years Max, and she's an Agency Chair!?
Must have been some paper.  Then again, Yale.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163033 on: June 22, 2023, 03:01:42 am »

Then again, the FTC is a joke that doesn’t even have the balls to enforce its own laws (like the warranty sticker ban). We’ll see if anything of substance actually comes from this.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163034 on: June 25, 2023, 10:27:04 pm »

Had someone go a wee bit ballistic on me because I told them that energy-positive fusion reactions outside of massive gravity wells are theoretically possible. Their stance being that the laws of physics say that no, it's 100% literally impossible under any circumstance but we can... somehow process fusion fuel so they can be energy positive but the energy used to process it would be more than we'd get out, no matter what we do? It was a wee bit confusing on top of it.

It was a nice reminder why I don't use Reddit.

EDIT: Also I'm an idiot because when I mentioned iron being the most stable element, I didn't specify Fe-56. The presence of radioisotopic iron means my argument is invalid.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:29:00 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 10867 10868 [10869] 10870 10871 ... 11040