Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10837 10838 [10839] 10840 10841 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14572614 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162570 on: May 03, 2023, 05:21:05 am »

As recently as 20 years ago, 100k miles was when cars became junkers - something you drove only if you had no other choice.
I've been in several cars of that age with over 100k miles and they still work fine, but I'm assuming they still work because of proper maintenance.

Proper maintenance and survivorship bias. You see the ones that made it, not the far larger number that did not.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162571 on: May 03, 2023, 07:13:27 am »

Also "proper maintenance" on ones like that sometimes entails recreating the ship of theseus thought experiment from first principles.

Ends up being less that you had a car that made it that far with that heavy of use and more you have a car chassis that did, and everything else has ended up replaced at some point :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162572 on: May 03, 2023, 07:47:09 am »

The "Right To Repair" is actually a movement in many industries, but particularly farming. When you've got an $400,000 combine, as a farmer, if you can fix something yourself for less you're going to. And farmers have that capability. But then they have to contact the manufacturer to send a tech out with a computer to recalibrate it, and that costs the farmers money to have a tech drive out to their farm for ~20 minutes of work.

I also seen complaints that some parts are intentionally engineered in such ways that you are forced to buy their proprietary stuff e.g. window glass with curves that you can't simply replace with just any common sheet cut to size.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162573 on: May 03, 2023, 08:43:03 am »

Dog just got so tangled up in a blanket he wasn't able to move and was whelping for help.

Poor thing just got their ass whooped by inanimate thread, that was a low point for their life, yikes.
Ask not!
Ask!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #162574 on: May 03, 2023, 11:26:44 am »

Apparently I have resting sad boy face and look seriously hurt by seriously minor inconveniences, ahaha.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162575 on: May 03, 2023, 03:39:34 pm »

So, I had a massive toothache this weekend and had to go to a detistry emergency.
The dentist did a patch-up, but told me I need to get it fixed properly within 2 weeks.

So far, I checked 3 towns worth of dentists. Most of them do not take new patients at all. 1 offered to take me, in half a year. And the rest have false phone numbers posted.

Apparently, there is a way insufficient number of dentists in Czech Republic.

Can you just hop over to Germany? Czech Republic is part of the EU right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162576 on: May 03, 2023, 03:42:06 pm »

Apparently I have resting sad boy face and look seriously hurt by seriously minor inconveniences, ahaha.

Hrmmmm. Not sure how I feel about the person trying to characterize you that way.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162577 on: May 04, 2023, 01:44:14 am »

So, I had a massive toothache this weekend and had to go to a detistry emergency.
The dentist did a patch-up, but told me I need to get it fixed properly within 2 weeks.

So far, I checked 3 towns worth of dentists. Most of them do not take new patients at all. 1 offered to take me, in half a year. And the rest have false phone numbers posted.

Apparently, there is a way insufficient number of dentists in Czech Republic.

Can you just hop over to Germany? Czech Republic is part of the EU right?
It is. Sadly, I don't speak german and barely understand any.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #162578 on: May 04, 2023, 01:44:49 am »

You dont need to speak German you just need some German guy to pull your teeth.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162579 on: May 04, 2023, 01:56:07 am »

He probably doesn't need to speak German because I'm guessing one of the reasons there's a shortage of dentists is that they're all being brain drained by Germany (and other countries) so he'll probably be able to talk Czech with them :P
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #162580 on: May 04, 2023, 02:04:56 am »

He will have something in his mouth when he's being attended to anyway.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162581 on: May 04, 2023, 02:18:25 am »

The language is nescessary to tell them what is wrong and for them to read the message from the emergency treatment.

I have found a dentist now though. And it is just about 70 minutes of travel from where I live. That is still closer than germany.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162582 on: May 04, 2023, 03:44:01 am »

Also "proper maintenance" on ones like that sometimes entails recreating the ship of theseus thought experiment from first principles.

Ends up being less that you had a car that made it that far with that heavy of use and more you have a car chassis that did, and everything else has ended up replaced at some point :P
You must have had much different experience with older cars than I have because I've yet to be in a car that's had to that much work done to it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162583 on: May 04, 2023, 07:41:01 am »

Probably better than half the ones I've seen like that that are still running has had somewhere between "most of it" and "functionally everything" replaced at some point.

... and most of the ones that hadn't, "still running" was a very inconsistent statement, heh. There's only so much maintenance can do about the kind of wear that accrues over decades of regular use, regardless of how a vehicle's built. Eventually stuff breaks when it's hauling around hundreds of pounds of car bits.
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162584 on: May 04, 2023, 08:24:09 am »

Gallup said 48% of US adults say they are concerned about the money they have in banks and other financial institutions, including 19% who are “very” worried. Another 29% said they are “moderately” worried.

Wow people are uneducated... this is specifically what FDIC is for. I have zero concern about the money I have "in banks" because of this, because like >90% of people my balances are less than the FDIC limit.  If things get so bad the FDIC can't insure my funds, I don't think I'd be worried about money in the first place...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10837 10838 [10839] 10840 10841 ... 11040