Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10830 10831 [10832] 10833 10834 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570416 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162465 on: April 15, 2023, 08:01:11 am »

Most of the developed world at a minimum is a culinary dystopia. As far as I'm aware sodium being in basically literally everything in go-die amounts is a problem more or less everywhere.

... plenty of places are probably less bad, though. It's certainly easier (if generally more expensive) to find alternatives if you're in or near a city of some sort.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162466 on: April 15, 2023, 08:05:48 am »

I was taught to worry about my love of salt as a child, but I actually have an electronic cuff lying around and I took my vitals last week.

135/77, resting rate of 6[X]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162467 on: April 15, 2023, 08:08:38 am »

Most of the developed world at a minimum is a culinary dystopia. As far as I'm aware sodium being in basically literally everything in go-die amounts is a problem more or less everywhere.

... plenty of places are probably less bad, though. It's certainly easier (if generally more expensive) to find alternatives if you're in or near a city of some sort.
I've travelled Europe some. It's mostly fine food-wise, whether it comes to sugar or salt or processing. I'm sure it'd be easy to find examples of badness, but in the aggregate I don't see that much of a problem. UK is relatively shit in that respect, but still not US-level shit.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162468 on: April 15, 2023, 09:20:46 am »

As with all these make-yourself sort of things, it might be cheaper to buy flour (and I guess the power spent in cooking it and w/e else) but it also costs more time, and you gotta find a balance between the two costs.
... more than that, it's actually sometimes difficult to find flour without salt in it. Like, it exists and it's not super hard to find, but it's more difficult to find than salted flour and sometimes has stock issues you're not going to have with the salted stuff.
I've heard about bakers cutting bread with chalk.
I've heard of people cutting rice with plastic.

And now people are cutting flour with salt?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162469 on: April 15, 2023, 10:25:05 am »

Yeah even Skyrim has this problem!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162470 on: April 15, 2023, 10:49:39 am »

Wow, I'd never even heard of salted flour. I just checked the bag of generic all-purpose flour we have, and it contains no sodium at all. Which makes sense, so folks can use exactly as much salt as they want.

So I have to ask, what sort of crazy place do you live in that sells salted flour?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162471 on: April 15, 2023, 10:57:54 am »

I saw this thread earlier today, so I was primed because today is my weekly grocery day. I only sampled three brands of flour, and none had added sodium.   I did it to confirm my initial response which was also "where are you where salt in flour is common?"

Now if you get a bread mix, or cake mix, or pancake mix, or anything else that is a "mix" then yes, ridiculous amounts of salt.

My physician says that in general the rule of thumb is that mg sodium should be less than calories.  It's really hard to find packaged food of any kind that meets that criteria, even "low sodium" foods.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162472 on: April 15, 2023, 11:02:13 am »

Near as I can tell from a quick check of junk left over in the food stuff at home, it's at-minimum common with self-rising flour in/around north florida. 200 something mg of sodium per serving. I'm pretty sure from checking in the past better than half the just plain all purpose flour around here has a similar amount. Pillsbury, offbrand, whatever.

E: And it's not store limited, far as I can recall the spread's about the same in places other than walmart around here. It may be a south-eastern US thing for flour in particular, I'unno.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:04:39 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162473 on: April 15, 2023, 11:22:35 am »

Ah yeah, if it's "self rising" then it is a kind of "mix", it's not regular flour.  Salt is part of the chemistry that makes it rise, either baking powder or baking soda, I can never remember which.

Fewest Ingredients diet, folks!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162474 on: April 15, 2023, 11:25:28 am »

Eh, salt can be part of it, but it's not a requirement -- there's saltless self-rising flour, and self-rising flour in general's used for recipes that can be done sans-sodium without much trouble.

Still, the stuff's in general purpose flour around here, too. It's hard to get away from.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162475 on: April 15, 2023, 11:34:54 am »

Okay, I never tried self-rising flour.

However, does this mean that it is not actually difficult to get flour without salt, but rather difficult to get self-rising flour without salt?

Because when you said it was difficult to get flour without salt, I though you meant a product labeled as just flour. That is the kind I used for bread, having to add yeast myself.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162476 on: April 15, 2023, 11:41:15 am »

Nah, again, like... most of the all-purpose flour around here has salt in it, too. It's not just the self-rising stuff. It's harder to get unsalted flour than not.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162477 on: April 15, 2023, 11:54:28 am »

Then I am worried for wherever it is you live. Flour should really not contain salt.

Where I live, salt and flour have around the same price, and according to the data tables on the products, flours contain <0.01g of salt per 100g.
They certainly contain too little salt for me to taste.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162478 on: April 15, 2023, 12:28:19 pm »

Yeah, the self-rising thing in my cupboard is 370 mg sodium per 31 grams, so... about 1.2 grams of sodium per 100g, or somewhere over ~120 times what you're seeing on those data tables. I'd compare some of the salted all-purpose stuff, but I'm pretty sure I threw the last batch of that in the house in the garbage a few months ago.

... honestly, you still can't really taste it in a finished product (which, pointedly, means there's not much difference in taste between the salted and unsalted varieties so why the hell put it in there i know it's probably for cheapass preservation but still), but when just one serving is about half the salt you need to survive any particular day, well...
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162479 on: April 15, 2023, 01:42:28 pm »

I just checked info for four major national brands of all-purpose flour (Walmart, Pillsbury, Gold Medal, and King Arthur) and none have significant levels of sodium (most were zero, one of them was 3).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10830 10831 [10832] 10833 10834 ... 11040