Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10807 10808 [10809] 10810 10811 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14571957 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162120 on: March 11, 2023, 08:55:54 pm »

Imagine it better >:(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162121 on: March 11, 2023, 10:02:55 pm »

you're just a collective hallucination by the rest of humanity.

Man, y'alls imagination sucks.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162122 on: March 12, 2023, 01:57:21 am »

You are arguing for civil discourse here, in an uncivil way.

You ignore that in America and Russia the state(s in America) are legislating that LGBTQ people are basically not allowed to exist and that if parents allow their kids to actually identify and make progress toward physically manifesting a trans identity, the kids will be taken away and the parents arrested for child abuse.

We were talking about the consequences of cancel culture, not the initial noble idea of making those in positions of power accountable but the toxic stew it has transformed into online, which long argued to normalize problematic behaviors like cyberbullying, doesn't bringing change but causes intolerance, and contributing to political polarization.

All of which have been touched upon by several posters, so I am surprised it is news or controversial. Even your former president Obama spoke years ago about those online who spend their time feeling good from being as judgmental as possible about other people. "If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far."

Overall, I was pushing on various vague statements, what consequences, i.e. how far you are willing to go, why your actions are justified and different from others. Steering away from political blinders that casting blame on, or justify it through, your political other since we have the same tactics used on the other side of the globe. I used the term vigilantism which i think is more flattering than mob or a witch hunt. Referred to Blackstone's ratio of innocents as we established that there is no recourse online, where the principle of guilty until proven innocent rules and we play judge, jury and executioner. And gave two examples of people (Trump and Putin) who believe that it is 'too late to solve anything diplomatically' for the slippery slope argument.

Now, I would admit laid it thick with with my analogies (who has time expand on every mundane stuff) but uncivil? Would you care to reconsider your initial harshly worded comments? because right now it seem that either what I said struck a chord with you or are an example of what's wrong online.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162123 on: March 12, 2023, 03:17:47 am »

What harsh words did I use? I’ve made three posts in relation to this, the first included blasphemy of that upset you, while pointing out you were being passive-aggressive, which you agreed with; the second was me responding to you using “age-old arguments” as though that makes you right (my interpretation, rightly or wrongly) and pointing out you lack context in your arguments; and the third pointing out to you where you lack context, made at your behest.

This in contrast to you sarcastically responding to Max while completely ignoring any context within the political structure of America and Russia, an example of which I provided and you again ignored in favour of parroting your own position.

Consequently, what you do is bothersome not because of any “argument” or position you take, but as a result of the implicit moral- and intellectual-superiority laced throughout your posts, belied by assumptions you make, like that I’m American (“your” president Obama) - an assumption disproved in literally every post I’ve ever made in the forum until I change my profile, I might add, and my nationality has exactly zero to do with anything regardless - which is one of a litany of examples showing your prejudice toward American progressives, and your willful, and dare I say it even proud ignorance.

Further to that point, you edited out and did not answer a question I asked regarding specific context within American and Russian politics: how LGBTQ folks are meant to expect reasonable, respectful discourse from those that are attempting to legislate them out of, or even criminalize their existence - or in other words, being cancelled, as per the topic of discussion. This is an example that shows you have no interest in engaging in dialogue, your only interest lies in dictating your own moral high ground to people, and insulting them for having the audacity to tell you that outside the vacuum inside your own head, it fails utterly to apply in the real world.

Alternatively, have a little shot of your own medicine:

Oh muh gosh jipehog is just such a shiny in example of morality and human decency we should be hanging off their e’ry word!

We must suckle at the teat of his wisdom, curl up at his feet and have our ears filled with the knowledge that will turn the plebeians from a horde of slavering, unthinking beasts into fine upstanding citizens!

Yes, his diatribes have no practical application to anything, collapsing under the weight of reality, and, yes, he is willfully ignorant of how things actually work, but if we repeat his teachings in excruciating detail oft and loudly enough, If we brush past our lack of knowledge with sarcastic take downs and comparisons of our poor, uneducated audience with the people they hate frequently enough, maybe, just maybe, one day… the world will be as our lord and master dictates!

Or maybe y’all should take a sec and listen to others, you might learn something. “The fool thinks he knows everything, the wise many knows he knows nothing” as an empty, unoriginal thought to end on.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162124 on: March 12, 2023, 03:34:29 am »

So no regrets. You even doubled down on your context. I guess its the later.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162125 on: March 12, 2023, 04:48:19 am »

Don't we have piles of political threads this crap could be disused in?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162126 on: March 12, 2023, 05:18:34 am »

Sounds like it's time to drop the matter entirely before moderation needs to be done.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #162127 on: March 12, 2023, 05:48:13 am »

So no regrets. You even doubled down on your context. I guess its the later.
🤡

Yep probably best to back down before Toady becomes enraged.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162128 on: March 12, 2023, 05:51:07 am »

There may be a misunderstanding of what each means by "vigilantism." Summarily killing small fry political opponents is not really productive or justifiable. Civil disobedience or self-defense often is very productive.

There is a definite problem if every person is 100% convicted in their beliefs and is willing to go to any lengths whatsoever to achieve them. Then you get something like the Cultural Revolution. The antidote is diligence with ideas and lenience with people.

I mean people who believe that law does not do enough in preventing and punishing offenses, taking it upon themselves. Which I believe almost always tend to end up badly with unintended consequences.

Yeah, same problem amplified by new technology, helped by the onset of economic insecurity and global instability. I am not sure what the antidote is,

Sounds like it's time to drop the matter entirely before moderation needs to be done.
Nothing wrong with the topic, it held 5+ pages, but if some vitriolic behavior persist moderation would be welcome to address those.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162129 on: March 12, 2023, 09:00:36 am »

At the very least make a new thread so it's:

A) Contained

B) Not gonna get the WTF thread shut down if things get really out of hand
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162130 on: March 12, 2023, 10:36:33 am »

Cannae see past his own nose.

Ah well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162131 on: March 12, 2023, 10:42:12 am »

WTF. The BBC cancelled an episode of David Attenborough's new nature series, because he spoke of the human influence on climate change.

Really? Has the BBC become a bastion of climate change denialists?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162132 on: March 12, 2023, 10:47:41 am »

They’re scared of the government.

The main football pundit on the BBC also tweeted out agains the Tory government and that caused the Tories to demand be get sacked ‘cause he’s meant to be impartial, even though that rule really only applies to news and current affairs employees, so they suspended him.

This resulted in every single one of his fellow pundits saying they wouldn’t appear on the weekend highlights show he is the main presenter of, along with all the commentators. This meant the highlights show only showed lasted 20 minutes with no commentary or analysis. I think this also happened with the Scottish and Welsh highlights, even though he has nothing to do with them.

I hope this turns out badly for the government rather than the BBC, but I get my UK news from the BBC, so I don’t know.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162133 on: March 12, 2023, 12:22:58 pm »

I see it as an extension of the same thing, as traditional media fight to stay relevant in the new media landscape and political polarization. Here what started as a mild anti-media populism and knee-jerk to political blasphemy have forced widening gap of editorial choice and now we have channels associated with right to left of the political spectrum (akin to US fox vs msnbc).

Our national broadcaster is doing nice work with varied programing and couple nice initiatives including online but its regarded as msnbc, so I wouldn't be surprised if this affects their choices of programing too. The worst of the worst are the primetime segments (opinion/talkshow?)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162134 on: March 12, 2023, 01:31:34 pm »

I've often argued that the BBC is the most reliable source of American News. They're about as good as any other domestic news service when it comes to their own country...

If America cared, CBS would probably be the most accurate portrayal of British Politics. But they rarely bother acknowledging that the UK exists. Unless the Queen has a cough.Yes, I am aware of the state of the British Monarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 10807 10808 [10809] 10810 10811 ... 11040